Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Graphics

Options
  • 22-12-2005 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

What prgram would allow me to create 3D graphics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

hi there,
    there are many programs you can use for 3d graphics at differnet levels, the real question is which one is most sutiable to your needs, maybe you should specify what type of 3d graphics you are doing and for what -..

you can also look on some 3d fourms for threads that cover "the best 3d packages" if you want .. there are some long threads on this over at cg talk in the general discussion fourms

3d packages range in price from free (blender) to tens of thousands of pounds per licence (houdini) and have different workflows, feature sets and strongpoints.

good luck

mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Well, I'd like to try out a free one first!!!!

Initally, I am looking to create 3d images/JPG's.

Would blender suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

yep,
    i havent used blender myself but its meant to be very good for a free program,
    i use 3ds max myself but its very expensive so i dont recommend buying it unless your sure you will use it alot, i have also used maya but i prefer 3ds max.

you should get a good start with blender, also you can get a free version of maya (maya ple) that has some restrictions (watermarked renders ect) but it is good for learning the software

mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

marktsang wrote:
    i havent used blender myself but its meant to be very good for a free program
    Actually, it's supposed to be very good for a program. The 'free' is just bonus ;)

I haven't done any more than hobby work on it (and nothing that would even have me considering paying money for a program), but it seems very nice once you get used to the somewhat unique interface.

Definitly a good place to start. Can't go wrong with the price, and there a new version (2.40) just released which supposedly adds some nice features.

• Advertisement

Got Blender! Seems very good. Why do they want to give it away free!??? It'll take a while to learn but Id say its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

nollaig wrote:
    Why do they want to give it away free!???
    It's not just free, it's Open Source -- so there's no actual 'they' that are giving it away. It's been built by the people that use it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sounds like communism to me.

Advertisement