Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18/Male insurance - what are my options

Options
  • 22-12-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am 18 and male and want to get insurance. I am on a provisional licence. Some companies ask a lot of specifics when getting a quote (such as Quinn Direct, the car reg. no.), so maybe other people in the same boat as me could tell me their quotes.

Should I go for named driver or get the insurance out for myself on, e.g. a <1L car?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

you can get online quotes from quinn direct in MY Quinn Direct section. The good thing is you can save your details then just change car details and see what pricing is like...
    good luck at 18 anyway, we were all there, even at 25 i still have problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh jus throw in a bogus plate to get a quote...it's only if you go ahead with the insurance that you will need to make sure that the registration plate is correct.....Quinn are probably gonna be your best bet @ 18....or do the Ignition course with Hibernian

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Provisional ignition would probably be worth it at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah lad, give the provisional ignition a shot - nothing to lose.
    Failing that try getting insured as a named driver for the year - But make sure the main driver drives the car the odd time (For moral reasons... everyone must think of the morals on boards.ie or youll get a flaming ;))

And dont worry about "But im not building up an NCB" because Quinn Direct offer a "Named driver experience discount" for every year that your insured as a name driver - its a great idea and its why I went with quinn. Oh and at a young driver, face the facts, your not getting insured for peace of mind, your getting insured because its a legality, hence Quinn might be a good option.. Just dont crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Lads, would anybody be able to give me a ballpark figure on insurance for me on a 1.4 golf? Im 22, and have a provisional licence, and im in the middle of doing lessons at the moment. Ive been driving motorbikes for 4 and a half years & have a full licence and no claims so far, but i know that wont count for anything really :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

Are you around 18-19, JohnCleary? If so, what sort of insurance are you paying, if you don't mind me asking.

Are you around 18-19, JohnCleary? If so, what sort of insurance are you paying, if you don't mind me asking.

I'm 19, full license, 1 years "Named driver experience"
    1100e fully comp on 1.4
    1800e fully comp on 1.8 now

BrynW wrote:
    Lads, would anybody be able to give me a ballpark figure on insurance for me on a 1.4 golf? Im 22, and have a provisional licence, and im in the middle of doing lessons at the moment. Ive been driving motorbikes for 4 and a half years & have a full licence and no claims so far, but i know that wont count for anything really :(

Why dont you try ringing an insurance company and get a quote?

Because it's after 6. Might try give one a ring tomorrow. Read on another thread a few minutes ago about getting quotes off quinn direct's website but it wouldn't quote me on anything after putting in all the details, it just came up with a message saying to ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

BrynW wrote:

it'll be around €1500 - €2000

• Advertisement

I would have thought it would have been twice that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

BrynW wrote:
    I would have thought it would have been twice that.......

depends on the value of the car, where you live, where its parked etc...

it shouldnt be any more than €2200 - €2500 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

FBD are good, i got insured in june this year to february of next year on a 04 golf 1.4 for 600 euros. i'm 19 but that shouldn't make a world of difference. i haven't passed my test and i'm on my first provisional and done no ignition tests or any of the sorts.

i'm in bray aswell :eek:

Must look into it a bit more. Applied for a car loan about an hour ago and AIB rang me about my account and are ringing me again tomorrow to change my account type cos im not a student anymore and apparently i will get a better loan aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I got a quote of 1200 on a 1.4 golf. Full licence, 21 but no ncb as I've been on a company policy and to use the ncb I'd have to come off the company insurance

Onkle51 wrote:
    I got a quote of 1200 on a 1.4 golf. Full licence, 21 but no ncb as I've been on a company policy and to use the ncb I'd have to come off the company insurance

Where do you live mate? And who was that quote with? I live in Dublin which will bump up the insurance a fair bit

I'm in dublin 8. Got it from hibernian, will have to do the ignition course. Oh and was tpft

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

18/Male insurance - what are my options
    Try here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

im 19/male and i got a quote of 1800 for a 99 golf 1.4 CL from quinn direct.
    Ive a 1st prov licence and no ncb.
    living in offaly(well thats my home address anyway)
    that quote was with the 25 lesson discount that quinn do.
    the quote was 2400 without the discount.
    If ya get on with your driving instructor ask him if he can say you done 25 lessons.

Jesus 25 lessons? Around ten should get a beginner through a test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Hello there,

I am 18 and male and want to get insurance. I am on a provisional licence. Some companies ask a lot of specifics when getting a quote (such as Quinn Direct, the car reg. no.), so maybe other people in the same boat as me could tell me their quotes.

Should I go for named driver or get the insurance out for myself on, e.g. a <1L car?

Thanks for your help.

Man, go work in a garage, or sell cars or do something part time to do with cars or bikes and try to get motor trade insurance. On this it's great because you could drive a porsche if you could afford it and it still same price. Dont know if you could get it at 18 on provisional though bu if you can somehow get it, it' feckn great. would probably be around 2500 to 3000 third party but you can just randomly pick to drive any car you have permission to drive and you have third party cover on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Onkle51 wrote:
    Jesus 25 lessons? Around ten should get a beginner through a test

25's a joke:eek:
    I had 1 lesson when I did it at 18 Passed Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

Killed in the Northern Troubles (1969-2005, all): 3,568
    Killed on Irish Roads 1997-2005 (1997-2005, 26 counties): 3,580

Congratulations Bertie.

that has to be the most rediculous signature ever

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

25? Absolutely crazy. Will you be insured while doing the 25 lessons, or do you have to do 25 lessons then get insured? I had to do 10 lessons before the insurance company would insure me, and in that time I nearly came to blows with my driving instructor as it was so frustrating. You really do need your practice time between lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Killed in the Northern Troubles (1969-2005, all): 3,568
    Killed on Irish Roads 1997-2005 (1997-2005, 26 counties): 3,580

Congratulations Bertie.

that has to be the most rediculous signature ever
    Really? I'm not sure if people agree.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862567

Here's a small update on my situation.......im 22 male, on a provisional licence, living in Dublin, had a few lessons-that's the only car driving ive ever done becuase my full motorbike licence and no claims count for nothing. Got a quote today on a 1.4 golf from quinn direct.........€2040! That's 3rd party fire and theft. It's a sad state of affairs when im happy with a quote that big :(. I thought it would have been twice that. On a 1.2 punto the quote was only 100notes cheaper. Will ring a few more companies tomorrow. Now i just gotta find a new golf for about 4-5grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seriously try fbd,

my dad was insuring himself on his 1.9 TDI passat and quinn quoted him 600 euros (sad state of affairs), anyways he rang fbd and they gave him a quote for 450, when he mentioned that it was better than quinn direct they knocked off another 25 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Check out the insurance survey on mijag.com

http://mijag.com/survey/show_survey.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cynos Tac

Im 20 Provisional Licence had a fiesta 1.1 95(for sale if anyone interested) my insurance with quinn 3rd party f&t was 3400 i am now driving a Toyota Cynos 1.5 and the insurance is 4100 now that is robbery i'd have a full licence if there wasn't a years waiting list.Its all a big scam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They really need to tidy up that mijag database, its full of twats with false quotes (such as €62,000... yeah, right).

Advertisement