Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with sli-dr expert

Options
  • 22-12-2005 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

having a nightmare installing this thing,

It will bot and begins to install windows, then it says setup is going to startup windows now (just after it has loaded all the drivers from the cd), then all lights flash on the keyboard and pc freezes.

I had windows installed with it already, but the pc wouldnt boot after i installed a usb device, i unplugged the usb device and cleared cmos and then it wouldnt load into windows, i though windows was knackered, so i deleted the raido array and redid it and now windows doesnt install.

I did a memtest and it passed, also ran m-prime and that was fine, also tried 3 different bioses and still no joy. I tried "load optimised defaults" in the bios aswell.

What could be causing this, isnt cpu or memory or hdds etc, anyone experienced this before? It is doing my head in :mad: im currently on the latest beta bios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Thats strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Evd-Burner wrote:
    Thats strange...

i know, i tried to install windows 98 aswell and that installs boot wont load into windows, just sits on the windows 98 logo screen, also tried installing windows MCE2005 and same issue, pc freezes. Im lost with this issue.... dont know what it could be. Allso tried to install in a non raid configuration and same issue. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Wow, I was gonna suggest installing on a single drive but you did that, How about getting a Knoppix live CD or any linux live cd and boot from it. If the Pc still crashes you know that some component is dodgey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

It could be your motherboard, as u said man everything else is working totaly fine and uve done the tests, id say one section of the board is fried thats just my opinion...

Happened me with me old dell pc when i installed ram...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Disable any USB ports you don't need. Had a similar problem with an older Abit that eventually stopped booting/then installing Windows when the extra USB2 header was enabled, turned it off and all was fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I would try the Knoppix live CD and see what happens. Even if it doesn't work it may give you some more info on what is going wrong.

Dingatron wrote:
    I would try the Knoppix live CD and see what happens. Even if it doesn't work it may give you some more info on what is going wrong.

this a free download???
    _CreeD_ wrote:
    Disable any USB ports you don't need. Had a similar problem with an older Abit that eventually stopped booting/then installing Windows when the extra USB2 header was enabled, turned it off and all was fine....
    None of those ports are plugged in, just the back ones on the mobo are active with nothing plugged in, basically nothing usb is plugged in

i dont know what is causing this, il just haaave to assume that something is dodgy, DAMN :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

this a free download???

yup, its a fully working OS that boots from CD.

im scratching my head with this problem I have to admit. RAM tested OK.

What about underclocking\overvolting the CPU?
    Dodgy PATA\SATA drivers? Try older and newer ones maybe? Somtimes the PATA bus can cause a lockup even if the channels arent being used.

Also, you should run a bootlog with any of the OS's that you have tried, might point to the problem.

My 2c is that the mobo is borked, but its a bit early to say....

yup, its a fully working OS that boots from CD.

im scratching my head with this problem I have to admit. RAM tested OK.

What about underclocking\overvolting the CPU?
    Dodgy PATA\SATA drivers? Try older and newer ones maybe? Somtimes the PATA bus can cause a lockup even if the channels arent being used.

Also, you should run a bootlog with any of the OS's that you have tried, might point to the problem.

My 2c is that the mobo is borked, but its a bit early to say....

tried diff pata and sata drivers.
    cpu is at 1.4v and stock mhz (this is default)
    cant run a bootlog because as i mentioned the os isnt installing.
    i noticed that it doesnt read or write to the hdds, i tried them on the secondary controller and tried just 1 drive (no joy)
    dont know what is causing this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Must be doing your nut in Gline.

Hope you get it sorted quick.

Gotta be a borked mobo, tho strange that you could even begin to install Windows if it is borked........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Also, lots of PC Mags give away a knoppix boot disk on the cover...have a look in easons.

It doesn't need HD's it loads and runs from the RAM only.

Would be a good place to start.

Inqui

http://www.knoppix.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have you tried flashing to a different BIOS, that board is notorious for its issues.

Have a look here at the thread on overclockers, may be off some use to you.

Have you tried flashing to a different BIOS, that board is notorious for its issues.

Have a look here at the thread on overclockers, may be off some use to you.

i tried about 3-4 different bioses
    just wonderoing, is ram supposed to be in slots 2 and 4? thats the way im using it, though i suppose it worked before so it should be fine... looks like im gonna have to buy a new board from komplett.. god knows how long that will take to get her with the holiday period and all, this suks bigtime :(

im still none the wiser, tried 1 stick of ram, didnt fix it, tried running @ 2t etc... Man i do not know what is causing this....tried taking out the xfi fatality also gonna just have to try a new mobo as i cant see what else will cause this

any luck with knoppix?

any luck with knoppix?

just finished downloading it, willl try later

any luck with this Gline?

any luck with this Gline?

i had to buy a new mobo, i will test the new one tomorrow and let u know if it was actually the mobo, if so i will rma the other one

You could also try a IDE Hdd, and knoppix has a tool for checking Hdds I think and also try this:

http://www.biosmedic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

Its a guy on the DFI street Forum he has a Bootable CD that has DFI bioses and other tools for troubleshooting

I am having trouble with my DFI board too:( :(

It wont boot, I have tried different ran different slots???

Anyway I hope you get it sorted, I know how frustrating it can be:mad: :mad: :mad:

conzymaher wrote:
    You could also try a IDE Hdd, and knoppix has a tool for checking Hdds I think and also try this:

http://www.biosmedic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

Its a guy on the DFI street Forum he has a Bootable CD that has DFI bioses and other tools for troubleshooting

I am having trouble with my DFI board too:( :(

It wont boot, I have tried different ran different slots???

Anyway I hope you get it sorted, I know how frustrating it can be:mad: :mad: :mad:

i dont think its the hdd..... also tried that cd, it wont stay booted though, it shuts down after about 5secs :mad:
    i know it is soo frustrating, il go back to asus if this doesnt get solved soon

• Advertisement

What happened with the second board you got?

Yeah DFI boards are so annoying they are the most picky boards they are great when they actually work but i think my next system will be based on a ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE

What happened with the second board you got?

its causing all sorts of problems

A brand new DFI causing problems???? thats the second Expert that hasnt worked??? are you sure every other component works on a different mobo?

If all the components work without the Expert, I say get a ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM with the heatpipe northbridge cooler;)

conzymaher wrote:
    A brand new DFI causing problems???? thats the second Expert that hasnt worked??? are you sure every other component works on a different mobo?

If all the components work without the Expert, I say get a ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM with the heatpipe northbridge cooler;)

i was thinjking of selling the dfi and go for an asus

conzymaher wrote:

Theres been lots of bad reports about the new dfi expert. I was going to get it but I just got that asus m/b off one of the lads here on boards instead. Now waiting for my xfx 7800gt to be delivered, Will let youse know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Damn, sorry for your trouble, gline. I know how frustrating thing can get :(

Isn't it ironic how DFI have built up their reputation over years only to push it over the delicate edge of overclockability / stability / user-friendliness / incompatibility with the Expert mobo...

They are a great board, but they are very user unfriendly, you have to be a DFI engineer to use one:eek:

My ultra infinity just crashed yesterday and i still cant get it to boot:mad: :mad:
    I am thinking of rmaing it and going s939, but the thing i am most frustrated about is, I just bought a XFX 6800gt agp and now i have no mobo to use it, and the s939 board will need PCI-Express, anyone looking for a 6800gt...............

hmm most dfi stories are horror stories, if this doesnt work out soon, i will get an asus and try that :(

• Advertisement

ok is it just me or is 42 degrees c high for the chipset with everything at stock and just after a boot, that is what motherboard monitor is detecting @ stock speeds and stock voltages and system now seems to be running stable..... i think when i am ocing the chipset temp is going too high and pc is freezing and wont reboot until battery is pulled for over 6 hours (oh and those temps are with side of case are open and rising to 45 after 2mins) :mad:

asus could be the answer or il have to rig up that chipset waterblock and hope that it was that causing it :(

Advertisement