Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BT + raising speed/cap

• 22-12-2005 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea of the date they are raising the speed up to 3mb

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

date of speed increase is dependant on eircom & your exchange. cap is up to BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they're starting proper upgrades mid january apparently,so anytime within 2 months after i'd say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It took them a day the last time so perhaps it will take a day this time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I reckon 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

sturgo wrote:
    I reckon 10 years.

:rolleyes: gtfo my thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i have fairly good information that would suggest that in mid january we'll see a doubling in down speeds, ie 2mb to 4mb and a keeping in line with what ever eircom offer vice vie upload speeds. no idea about caps though but i'll find out. this source was spot on in every respect with the last upgrade we got but then again don't shoot the messenger!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

:rolleyes: gtfo my thread

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

griffdaddy wrote:
    i have fairly good information that would suggest that in mid january we'll see a doubling in down speeds, ie 2mb to 4mb and a keeping in line with what ever eircom offer vice vie upload speeds. no idea about caps though but i'll find out. this source was spot on in every respect with the last upgrade we got but then again don't shoot the messenger!!!
    The upgrades are well known about here on the BB forum but it seem as if the 2Mb service is going to 3Mb and 384 kbps 4Mb will be for business accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

griffdaddy wrote:

Bitstream products are controlled by eircom and sold onto UTV, BT, Netsource...etc.

This "good information" must concern BT's LLU exchanges only at best.

So how do people know its going to 3mb and not 4mb

• Advertisement

From memory

1m/128k=>2m/256k
    2m/128k=>3m/384k
    3m/256k=>4m/384k
    4m/256k=>5m/512k
    So how do people know its going to 3mb and not 4mb
    eicom have unofficially announced those speeds to their providers who have then spilled the beans to persistnt callers, of which this place is completely full with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

zuma wrote:
    eicom have unofficially announced those speeds to their providers who have then spilled the beans to persistnt callers, of which this place is completely full with.
    damn right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Welcome news no doubt, but does anyone have any idea as to what kind of prices we should expect for the 4 & 5mb packages?

Seeing as most of us BT customers will probably be upgraded from 2mb to the 3mb package (costing €40 odd per month) surely the price increase to the higher spec packages can't be that obscene, can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

bt probably wont change the price they just lowered it a few months back iirc. No point in speculating about these things we will know in a few weeks not untill then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

zuma wrote:
    Bitstream products are controlled by eircom and sold onto UTV, BT, Netsource...etc.

This "good information" must concern BT's LLU exchanges only at best.
    similarly eircom were wholeselling the package with a lower cap than their competitiors managed to provide for the same price. This guy is adamant that speeds will be doubled and not just go from 2MB to 3Mb. He posts here sometimes, i think his name on here is Stuey

A D/U CAP can be easily played around with....the max speed for a certain package can not!
    The CAPS are there to stop the network going under with masses of traffic....and by and large most people never even hit the 4GB mark, not to mean 12GB or 24GB in a month.

Bitstream providers will always be forced to offer a, marginaly, higher CAP and slightly lower price as its their only selling point over the ever friendly eircom.

The speeds I posted above are far more illogical(eircom remember) than doubling from 2Mb-4Mb.

The general concensuss:
    1m/128k=>2m/256k
    2m/128k=>3m/384k
    3m/256k=>4m/384k
    4m/256k=>5m/512k

Also, I honestly dont think eircom have the capability to provide 8m/0.5m over ADSL but evern if they were going to try it they would be forced to impliment ADSL2+ and we would have heard about the router swapping by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

zuma wrote:
    Also, I honestly dont think eircom have the capability to provide 8m/0.5m over ADSL but evern if they were going to try it they would be forced to impliment ADSL2+ and we would have heard about the router swapping by now.
    I think they are planning those upgrades around 2009/2010. Can't wait for 8Mb! Meanwhile the rest of the EU is on 50-100Mb ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well it was on the 9 news that we are years behind everywhere for broadband and cost for service.
    Buisness's are suffering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

I have a friend that works in Eircom BB area and he tells me that they
    are doubling speed in mid January therefore I presume that BT will be
    doing likewise

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Its only the 1mb customers who are getting speed doubled to 2mb, the 2mb customers get a 50% increase to 3mb.

• Advertisement

lasno wrote:
    I have a friend that works in Eircom BB area and he tells me that they
    are doubling speed in mid January therefore I presume that BT will be
    doing likewise

:D nice

A picture of things to come:

futureeircompackages2hf.jpg

Taken from:
    http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/Bitstream_Price_ListV2.7.pdf

It appears they will upgrade all their products, as I and others have correctly suggested...but will create a new 1m/128 product for mabye the €25 a month market.

eircom/imagine/UTV users and not BT users!
    Their timed product will also stay at the current 1m/128(hence the retention of a "proper broadband" 1m/128k product) and probable be sold for €12-€15 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Why do you think it won't apply to BT users? They've always followed Eircom's upgrades in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

kmurph wrote:
    Why do you think it won't apply to BT users? They've always followed Eircom's upgrades in the past.
    I guess beacause afaik BT don't have a timed product at the moment.

daveyjoe wrote:
    I guess beacause afaik BT don't have a timed product at the moment.

And hopefully(fingers crossed) never will :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Are you sure that bitstream connect isn't a product to replace the current timed product?

My reading of the table is that they are going to scrap the timed product and replace it with an always on service for the same price and with the same up/down rate.

Edit: The PDF answers my question. Zuma is correct, ignore this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*waves hand* This isn't the post you're looking for... Move along...

BopNiblets wrote:
    I'm not getting a speed upgrade with BT then?
    FORK! :mad:

Booo-urns to that.

Of course you are.....I was talking about their Timed Product...which BT does not offend its customers with(I think, unless your the first).

Please read what I have said above again and calm down:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BopNiblets wrote:
    I'm not getting a speed upgrade with BT then?
    FORK! :mad:

Booo-urns to that.

Read it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm on the BTBB+, couldn't care less about speed, anyone any inclination as to new download limits in the offing??

Advertisement