Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do cyclists and the law stand?

Options
  • 23-12-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can someone give me a link/s to '' Irish cyclists rights to the road'' .... what exactly, the law says about these rights.
    Thanks
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if such a document exists. Cyclists have the same rights as any other roads users, essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 keeto

Agreed!...but, ''officially''...where do we stand?

Anyone have any idea as to where to look for a description of our entitlements, re: THE ROAD

I don't know where to begin.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try the rules of the road.

Officially, cyclists have exactly the same rights as any other road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Forget the rules of the road it's way out of date the real reference is the legislation. I've tried to collect links to all the Irish Cycling Legislation on my site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

We are bound only by the rules of the road. While they may not be up to date. Becuse cyclist are not rated in the scheme of things. There is little legislation for us. The most recent case I am aware of was a civil case in Cork where a cyclist was forced off the road and took a case against the Insurance Federation of Ireland. He lost his case because he did not prove it.

If the Government passed a law that all cyclists has to have graded experience level, training, pass a series of tests and bicycles had to be roadworthy (light brakes helmet), it would do a lot of good but again, unenforceable.

As cyclists we made our own rules.

Good ones made ourselves and others safer on the road

Bad ones put ourselves and everyone else at risk.

I get laughed at from the amount of nightime protective gear I wear. But drivers and others see me.

Forget the law, do what is right. It is a stronger position. Compliance with the law does not deliver good cycling practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Officially, cyclists have exactly the same rights as any other road user

However, my personal experiences have taught me that a good percentage of motorists view Cyclists as lying somewhere around the level of the common rat, in the Hierarchy chain .....

I do 8 miles a day and 16 whenever the weather is good ..... I can just about guarantee to be 'skimmed' (cars passing you at frighteningly close distances) on every trip ..... this occurs with cars passing you while facing oncoming traffic but also cars overtaking other cars just in front of you .... :eek:

More recently I've noticed more and more cars backing out into my path :( ..... I really can't figure that one because I never ride without a full Flouro waistcoat ......

perhaps it's just that they don't look :cool: ....

Advertisement