Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wesley Hoolahan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/6645909.stm
    Oldham 1-2 Blackpool

Wes Hoolahan's 87th minute goal secured Blackpool a deserved win in this League One play-off semi-final first-leg......

Weso again showing what a telent he is. Hopefully he can make it to the Championship for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It was a nice shimmy for the finish.

He is a lovely footballer.

Great a finding space and picking out a nice pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Blackpool promoted to the second tier of English football with Weso more than playing his part. Whether he's with them or not next season is another story. His year long loan is up and there's apparently four other clubs in looking get him off Livi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

"yah know we deserved it yah know yah know and we should do well in the championship yah know yah know " :D

Played very well today think he got man of the match too.

Dont miss him in the slightest :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Blackpool player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaCL wrote:
    "yah know we deserved it yah know yah know and we should do well in the championship yah know yah know " :D

Played very well today think he got man of the match too.

Dont miss him in the slightest :)

kdjac

Parker got man of the match(a superb goal but I don't think he deserved it) , Wes has been great all year for Blackpool and they deserved to go up . Feel a little sorry for Wes though , I bet he misses those crisps :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

YOU know a player is a bit special when his team-mates can't stop talking about him.

And Wes Hoolahan has been the name on everyone's lips this season.
    He's the man all the Seasiders players talk about, mainly because you can give the winger the ball in just about any situation and he's almost guaranteed to retain possession.

But Shaun Barker has gone one step further and has hailed Hoolahan as the best he's ever played with.
    "If you go and watch him in training he is just unbelievable," said Barker. "He's without doubt the most talented player I have ever had the pleasure to play with.

"The one thing he does lack is that little bit of pace. If he had that extra bit of pace he could be playing at a much higher level at a much bigger club.

"But his skill, his ability and technique ... everything about him is fantastic.
    "He can go as far as he wants to and fingers crossed that he does.
    "All the boys want him to stay at Blackpool but that's a big decision that he has got to make."
    Contract talks with Hoolahan have stepped up a gear this week.
    His agent – his brother – has held discussions with Karl Oyston and the club is expected to make an announcement, one way or the other, next week.

Legend.

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/sports-news?articleid=2905787

"a wandering minstrel in midfield"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=486152&in_page_id=1779

"the influential Wes Hoolahan"

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/10/06/SOCCER_Blackpool.html

Watford 1 Blackpool 1: 'Heroic' Hoolahan finds hole in Boothroyd's home fortress

"Wes Hoolahan, Blackpool's best player, fired home with a confident penalty."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article3015347.ece

"Grayson threw on midfielder Wes Hoolahan and it was a superb run by the substitute that finally unlocked the Southend defence."

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_2889418,00.html

"The architect was the talismanic Wes Hoolahan"

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/09/18/SOCCER_Blackpool.html

"Overlooking the gifted Wes Hoolahan, lighting up Blackpool in the Championship, is disappointing."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/bradys-bow-1117021.html

"Thankfully we now have a certain Wes Hoolahan who entertains us week in week out"

http://www.blackpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=501217

How this guy is not in the Ireland squad I will never know. He's a little wizard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

when you consider that douglas is in the ireland squad, it makes you wonder alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

MrJoeSoap wrote:

How this guy is not in the Ireland squad I will never know. He's a little wizard.

I reckon he'll get a call up to the B squad next month. After that he'll be an ever-present in the main squad :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Wes Hoolahan VS Willo Flood VS Aiden McGeady VS Jay Tabb VS Alan O'Brien: http://tetsujin1979.googlepages.com/comparison.htm
    Draw your own conclusions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

when you consider that douglas is in the ireland squad, it makes you wonder alright.
    Tainted by the eL.

Unless your name is Kevin Doyle, if you've spent any time playing eL football you don't get a look in with Ireland.

It's a thundering disgrace that he hasn't been called up to the squad for these two games, wasn't in USA in the Summer either.

And a player from League 1 can get in the squad?

"But it's Leeds" - so bleedin' what, Weso was the best player for Pool in the same division last season, was instrumental in them getting promoted, and continues to put in match winning performances.

Of course everyone else thinks "ah look at the eL supporter, just wanting a ex eL player in the squad".

I've news for you folks, it's nothing to do with that.

Here we have a little gem, who is being overlooked by a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote:
    if you've spent any time playing eL football you don't get a look in with Ireland.
    Apparantly if you move from the EL to England you get an automatic call up but maybe that's changed. ;) Hoolahan's quality alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DesF wrote:
    Tainted by the eL.

Unless your name is Kevin Doyle, if you've spent any time playing eL football you don't get a look in with Ireland.

It's a thundering disgrace that he hasn't been called up to the squad for these two games, wasn't in USA in the Summer either.

And a player from League 1 can get in the squad?

"But it's Leeds" - so bleedin' what, Weso was the best player for Pool in the same division last season, was instrumental in them getting promoted, and continues to put in match winning performances.

Of course everyone else thinks "ah look at the eL supporter, just wanting a ex eL player in the squad".

I've news for you folks, it's nothing to do with that.

Here we have a little gem, who is being overlooked by a clown.

Obviously, I ain't no Eircom league diehard. But I fully agree that Hoolahan is a talented player and would offer something different. He is playing regularly and performing regularly in the championship - and has clear technical upsides. That should be more than enough to warrant a call - up in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Yeah it's a very strange one, you would have to think there's something more to it than stan just doesn't rate him.

Who was behind calling him up against greece? was it purley a givens descion?

was don trying to tell us something?

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Apparantly if you move from the EL to England you get an automatic call up but maybe that's changed. ;) Hoolahan's quality alright.

Maybe its the "via Scotland" that screwed Wes over. :)

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=29997
    Sheffield United are preparing a £500,000 move for Blackpool’s Irish winger Wes Hoolahan, according to Monday media reports.

Hoolahan has been a revelation at Blackpool since joining the Seasiders from Livingston in 2006.

A season-long loan resulted in promotion and a permanent move to Bloomfield Road – albeit after a lengthy legal wrangle with the Scottish club – and Hoolahan has taken the step up to the Coca-Cola Championship in his stride.

Now, Blackpool’s resolve in keeping the 25-year-old Dubliner is set to be tested by a £500,000 offer from Blades chief Bryan Robson.

Hoolahan, who helped Shelbourne to three eircom League titles before moving to Scotland two years ago, is part of the Republic of Ireland ‘B’ squad for next week’s international against a Scotland second string in Airdrie.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Hoolahan-a-Championship-hit-.3426265.jp
    Those who follow Blackpool every week can become a bit blasé about the club and its players, and in particular Wes.

For instance, I thought that while Hoolahan played OK at Hillsborough and was the one player who was trying to make things happen, he occasionally overdid it and certainly didn't have his best game for the club.

But in the after-match press conference, the gathered journalists were almost overwhelmed by his display.

One of the first questions fired at Simon Grayson was: "Tell us more about the lad on the wing, Hoolahan? I had him down as the game's best player ..."

You can see why outsiders not used to watching Hoolahan have that reaction.

Class

After all there aren't many players in English football capable of doing what the Seasiders' winger can.

Even in the Premiership, for all its fantastic and frantic excitement, there aren't too many players outside of Rooney and Ronaldo who can actually beat three players at a time and create and score goals.

While Hoolahan certainly isn't in that league – he's still finding his feet at Championship level – he is a class apart from many of his contemporaries.

He is a lovely player to watch, old fashioned in the way he begs for the ball from team-mates and upon receiving it, often embarks on a mazy run. It's as if he can't bear to have possession without trying to embarrass at least one opposition defender.

That kind of player excites the neutral and it's credit to Simon Grayson that he allows the 25-year-old to express himself and play the way he does. Some managers might not be so accommodating.

Granted Hoolahan also works his socks off – an aspect of his game to which Graysonquite rightly draws attention – and that's why the boss allows him to do his tricks.

It's no good being fancy if you don't put the work in. Watch Rooney play. As well as being a footballing genius, he grafts for the team too.
    With the Seasiders down on their luck and down on players, Hoolahan is becoming an increasingly important player.

He could decide Pool's fate this season because if the club were to lose him – either to injury or to the vultures who will surely be circling come January – he would be impossible to replace, mainly because there isn't anyone about quite like him and certainly not at the price the Seasiders would be able, or more accurately, willing to pay.

Just for the record, this is the answer Grayson gave to the media in Sheffield when they asked him to tell them about Hoolahan, who had scored Blackpool's goal – his third of the season, though his first from open play.

Dribbles

"He scored a goal which came out of the blue but that is what Wes is capable of doing," said Grayson.

"He came inside, dropped the shoulder, went past two people and hit it early. He is a player who can do things like that and make things happen.

"He is a good player and he is different from other players in what he can offer us. He dribbles past people and he is prepared to get on the ball and make things happen.

"He did OK. I know he has done better than that this season regards the team shape.

"But the team had a collective offday. There was a lack of energy and tempo and that's not like us because we have been good at that all season and we didn't do enough to warrant

getting a victory on the day."

It's a nicely balanced response. Yes, Hoolahan did well but he has played much better in Pool colours and that's what Grayson was saying.

To be fair to the Irishman, though, he needs his team-mates around him to perform to their highest levels if Pool are going to prosper.

At Hillsborough on Saturday they didn't and that's why, despite Hoolahan's best efforts, Pool slumped to a miserable defeat.

But it was just one bad team performance and, as even the most vociferous critics must acknowledge, every side has its offdays.

In my opinion, if the Seasiders can return to their usual high standards, then with a little help from Wes it remains conceivable that Grayson's men will finish in a handsome league position this season.

At the very least, they will certainly avoid relegation – and that, don't forget, was the aim at the start of the campaign.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Hoolahan-given-Republic-chance.3460578.jp
    Grayson said: "It is recognition of the progress that Wes has made, and it has been a long time coming.

"In fact, I thought he might even be a bit closer to the full squad.
    "It is justified big time."

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Fitagain-Parkes-Wes-is-our.3447126.jp
    FIT-again Tony Parkes singled out Wes Hoolahan for praise after the Seasiders' setback at Barnsley.
    Hoolahan might not have won a penalty in that controversial second half moment, but he did win the vote for man of the match – and Parkes wasn't at all surprised.
    "Wes was great and how he played last night was how he was playing nearly every game last year," said the Seasiders assistant boss.

"He is one of our main men. When it goes to Wes you think something is going to happen and nine times out of ten it does.

"I thought he had a great game. Everyone sees and talks about what he does on the ball but we saw the other side of his game as well. He won a lot of tackles and I thought he played ever so well."

His inch-by-inch ascent to the Premiership continues... :p

Kind of player you'd pay to watch.

A mixture of Georgei Hagi and Maradona.

Has more talent than 90% of the present Irish senior squad.

I was thinking about his Shelbourne days whilst dozing off in work earlier, how I'd try my very best to get all my mates to come see him play as often as possible, because nothing I had seen on the television could even compare to what Wes put in most weeks.

I used to stand in the new stand, exactly in line with the touchline for the first half of home games, to get the best view of him. Then in the second half it would be down to the far end of the "main" stand to be alongside the left wing.

He was just that special, and by the sounds of it, still is.

If you ever use www.sportinglife.com and view the minute-by-minute view of the game you are guaranteed to see Wes come up as the Key Player of the match at least once.

And usually it is twice or more times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

raheny red wrote: »
    I reckon he'll get a call up to the B squad next month. After that he'll be an ever-present in the main squad :cool:

One down, one to go :cool: - fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Scored the winner against Preston yesterday. Cheeky divil!

"the most audacious of chipped finishes to break the Deepdale deadlock."

"Na na na na na na na na nanana, Wesley Hoolahan, Hoolahan, Wesssley Hoolahan"

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

"Na na na na na na na na nanana, Wesley Hoolahan, Hoolahan, Wesssley Hoolahan"

one day he be in the PL and you can have your" i told you so" moment :)

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac

That'll always be the dream. Even if its the eircom Prem!*

*Only with Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One day one of those cheeky penos will backfire and the player will look a complete fool, unless it has happened before?

Unearthly wrote: »
    One day one of those cheeky penos will backfire and the player will look a complete fool, unless it has happened before?

has indeed seen a Villa player try it and keeper stood there and caught it, fecked irc who.

kdjac

Only if he does them all the time. Which he doesn't. Jermaine Jenas was the best one I've ever seen missed.

happened to cantona about 1991 in france....im sure tis on you tube somewhere, twas kinda funny the way it happened, he send the keeper the wrong way, but the keeper still had time to get back up and save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Only if he does them all the time. Which he doesn't. Jermaine Jenas was the best one I've ever seen missed.

Was that the one for Newcastle against Chelsea in some preseason tournement thing where he chipped it over the bar? Was very funny anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

has indeed seen a Villa player try it and keeper stood there and caught it, fecked irc who.

kdjac
    Dwight Yorke for Aston Villa against Arsenal circa 97-98?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Was that the one for Newcastle against Chelsea in some preseason tournement thing where he chipped it over the bar? Was very funny anyway.

Thats the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Brian Robson wont be there for much longer. So could be a bad move if a new manager doesnt want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thats the one.

I seem to remember Peter Crouch doing it against Jamaica as well.

sheffield united wouldn be a great move at the moment, hopefully a bigger club may be interested in him, maybe even one in the premier league. even a promotion chasing side like west brom or watford would be a better move. this lad needs to be in the premiership and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What sort of money would Hoolahan be on at Blackpool?

aidan24326 wrote: »

pounds sterling i assume?! :p

aidan24326 wrote: »

3 or 4 grand sterling, could have went up with his last contract and being in championship average rate there is 6k according to deloitte.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

pounds sterling i assume?! :p

Yeah thanks homer I kinda figured that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In todays Mirror Blackpool boss Simon Grayson said he will consider letting Wes go if the money is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich have made an approach for him. Maybe to take over from Huckerby.

Can't believe this was nearly 6 years ago

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

cream always rises to the top and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭crushproof

So far so good in the Prem, hopefully he makes a big impact this season, he was in top form last season for Norwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I hope Trapattoni keeps ignoring him now. I've finally got over the fact no matter how well he plays, he won't get called up. If he did get called up he increases risk of injury so I rather he's kept at Norwich to concentrate on keeping us up this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can't believe this was nearly 6 years ago

:)

What an epic rant it was.

Being bored i counted 4 Ex LOI playing today. then i went looking at youth players from the big clubs.

United had 4(united play morrow so that number will double).
    Liverpool had 2
    Almost all other clubs had 1, Villa not sure of think they had 3 but got bored checking :D

For a ****ty little league we seem to be creating players for the big leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

kensutz wrote: »
    I hope Trapattoni keeps ignoring him now. I've finally got over the fact no matter how well he plays, he won't get called up. If he did get called up he increases risk of injury so I rather he's kept at Norwich to concentrate on keeping us up this season.

Absolutely! On the ball City! :D

Great game which Norwich could have won. Shame Holt missed a Header or two and toward the end it got a bit messy but I thought Norwich played well and certainly held their own.

4th from bottom would be a dream finish this season. Anything higher would be an incredible success story. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kdjac

That can be now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Took him 6 years to get there and one game to make an impact. First former Shels player to score in the Premier League I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement