Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infuriating Samba/Permissions issue

• 23-12-2005 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone with more insight than myself into such things can help me out with a seemingly simple Samba/Permissions issue.

I have a small home network with a trusty linux box providing services to an XP laptop and desktop machine. I have a music share directory defined in samba, which is accessible to all Samba users. The directory, in /home/music belongs to User "Fred" and group "users", to which all other 3 users belong. and the permissions are set to 777.

Here's the annoying thing -- whenever "Fred" accesses the music share, the permissions are changed to dwx--x--x automatically and for seemingly no reason. This locks out the other users so they can't access the share.

Here's the share definition in Samba
    [Music]
    comment = Music Share on Linux Box
    path = /home/music
    valid users = fred, aisling, niall, root
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

Any help appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Hi,

I'm kind of getting up to speed with Linux myself, so this may be wrong, but worth a shot.

In the global parameters the guest account is specified, in this case "myguest". So it doesn't matter who you are logged in on WindowsXP, all accesses to the Samba share go through the "myguest" user.
    Eg. my global setup ( part censored ) is as follows

[global]
    workgroup = unix
    netbios name = myservername
    server string = Red Hat Linux Enterprise ES 4.0
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    wins server = 11.11.11.11 # not telling you !
    password server = None
    security = SHARE
    guest ok = yes
    guest account = myguest

So you may need to
    a) ensure that your guest account is also a member of "users"
    b) alter the umask entry for that user so that they automatically give read/write access to their group members

regards,
    Owen

Advertisement