Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband?

• 23-12-2005 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭

North Dublin for a student.

I have seen so many different offers online and I just can't pick. Any recommend anything. Anything to avoid?
    oh I have no landline.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ntl if you can.

stay away from wireless it's just a pain. (wireless being Irish broadband).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

depends what you want to do .

also get this moved to the broadband section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moving to bb....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

alright colin ;)

get either digiweb metro or ntl if you can, ntl preferably, but digiweb should be pretty good aslong as you've got a decent line of sight to the antenna.
    clearwire do wireless aswell but they've a long contract i think, and don't allow p2p.
    irish broadband have loads of problems but you can get their ripwave thingy now for 20quid a month with no contract so if you're having problems with that you could just send it back straight away, and if you're one of the lucky ones who it works ok for, it should do the job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

irish BB is the best here IMO and in my year of being with them ive only had it go out twice.

unlimited download and upload at 100 KB/s thats better than what I had in the states........(4 megabit down 256k up)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Irish Broadband Fowever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

cheers for all the advice.

Guy I live with had the ripwave thing. We were thinking of getting a cable that could split it to the two machince but we were thinknig this would just mean really slow broadband? His speed is deifinitely not broadband speeds. Its grand I suppose. So everyone is recommending the ripwave?

Does splitting it between to computers slow the connection down and is this even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You need router. You can pick a sheap one up in most shops. The speed will stay the same on the connection but if two of you are downloading at the same time, you are sharing the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

irish BB is the best here IMO and in my year of being with them ive only had it go out twice.

unlimited download and upload at 100 KB/s thats better than what I had in the states........(4 megabit down 256k up)

Ha ha ha!! And it isn't even April 1st!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Redegg wrote:

Guy I live with had the ripwave thing. We were thinking of getting a cable that could split it to the two machince but we were thinknig this would just mean really slow broadband? His speed is deifinitely not broadband speeds. Its grand I suppose. So everyone is recommending the ripwave?

Does splitting it between to computers slow the connection down and is this even possible?

Ripwave is pure sh1t!

get NTL !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Redegg wrote:

No......WTF?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

All you need is a couple of people with good IBB connections and the other 90% pay the price of a sh!te connection!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

if your up near DCU, get IBB Breeze, i'm on it and its class! full meg up/down every day!

VinnyL wrote:
    if your up near DCU, get IBB Breeze, i'm on it and its class! full meg up/down every day!

and links ? may look into this.. live on collins av

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=83

the IBB mast is actually on collins avenue where it meets the ballymun road. the engineer told me he got a signal even when the box was lying down in the garden, great signal when your that close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just incase everyone has gone temporarily insane or blind, or the search function has stopped working on boards I'll let you in on a little secret.
    IBB = ****e

Roen wrote:
    Just incase everyone has gone temporarily insane or blind, or the search function has stopped working on boards I'll let you in on a little secret.
    IBB = ****e

in your opinion, for me it does the job brilliant, and since the OP lives right beside me i take it it'll be thew same for him too!

hmm sounds great. 35 is possible a bit steep. No? Im not sure.
    Ok my choices are

NTL

25.00 euro
    Free Installation
    First 3 months free
    Download Speed (Kbps) 1000
    Upload Speed (Kbps) 100
    Free technical Support
    12 month contract

or

35.00 euro
    Free installation
    Fisrt 3 months free
    Download Speed (Kbps) 2000
    Upload Speed (Kbps) 200
    Free Technical Support
    12 month contract

or

IBB
    35.00 euro
    Free installation
    Download Speed 1Mb
    Upload Speed 1Mb
    12 month contract

I'm thinking the 3 months free sounds good, but is this actually part of the 12 months contract?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd go for the NTL offer myself. Better speeds.

i'd prob go for the ntl too, i tryed them first, but i couldnt get em'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would seriously question somebody's mental health if they chose Irish Broadband over NTL. IBB's service may work if you're lucky, but if it doesn't you will get more help calling the talking clock than Irish Broadband's support dept. There's incidently no guarantee that they will stick you on the same sector as VinnyL or that that sector is not going to oversubscribed in a month's time. Irish Broadband is just hassle you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I take i that everyone is located in or around Dublin?

So what about Limerick, what's the way to go down here?

Blaster99 wrote:
    I would seriously question somebody's mental health if they chose Irish Broadband over NTL. IBB's service may work if you're lucky, but if it doesn't you will get more help calling the talking clock than Irish Broadband's support dept. There's incidently no guarantee that they will stick you on the same sector as VinnyL or that that sector is not going to oversubscribed in a month's time. Irish Broadband is just hassle you don't want.

i suppose i'm lucky, but living in rented accomodation with no landline left me with IBB as the cheapest option. ring NTL redegg and if you cant get them, then think about other options

Advertisement