Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll . BB Provider and Product of the Year 2005.

• 23-12-2005 12:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Be nice to acknowledge who has

a) Given us the best bang for our buck.
    b) Improved matters for everyone by making Eircom 'respond'
    c) Deserves the 2005 kudos and shouts for doing it
    d) you may vote for more than one provider in this poll .

Who has delivered the Mostest and Bestest for Ireland in 2005 194 votes

Smart (DSL)
    0% 0 votes
    Digiweb (Metro)
    22% 43 votes
    NTl (Cable) ..widely available finally
    11% 23 votes
    BT (DSL)
    36% 70 votes
    Magnet (DSL and TV package)
    11% 23 votes
    Imagine (DSL)
    7% 15 votes
    Irish Broadband (Wireless)
    0% 1 vote
    Eircom (DSL)
    9% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Stickying.

Poll will close on January 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i seriously cant believe IBB got good votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's the company that hacked through the undergrowth first, UTV?

Mike.

ps i know they did feck all this year except follow eircom upgrading standard speed but...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thought of them and thought that they had a crap 2005, no innovation, crap CS, charging for going over CAP , no great all you can eat bundles (thats what got BT into the poll ) .

I would like to see them back with a bang in 2006 .... but 2005 was a writeoff for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis true!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

i would have thought having a "are you dis-satisified with your bb provider(s) that you have been on" (and allow multiple votes) would have been a better poll, since if you are satisified, you would be more than likely to be on your current provider. if you are not satifised you wouldnt be on the current provider unless you had no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I voted NTL, purely on how quick they installed my broadband and the fact that the downtime with them has been minimal compared to Eircom which was a month.

NTL FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ebooborg

ive been with just about every dsl provider in last 4 years and i tell u

NTL (or whatever they will be called in next while) with their 3MB (soon to be upgraded) have got it right;

-NO FECKING EIRSCUM LINE RENTAL!!
    -i got quick install (had nice chat with the techician)
    -free wirelles router
    -no hassle for going over the cap
    -1day downtime in last 4months
    -u actually get to talk to a person when u ring them unlike eircoms 1901 or BT's dumb operators or Netsource's rude managers

god bless cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Can we have a poll to cement IBB's place as the worst provider out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I shoocked that IBB got 8 votes. From reading peoples feed back on this forum with the various BB services NTL seem to have been the best so i`ve voted for them. If only I could get them IBB will never get my vote only my money cause I have no other choice atm but that will change with time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I shoocked that IBB got 8 votes. From reading peoples feed back on this forum with the various BB services NTL seem to have been the best so i`ve voted for them. If only I could get them IBB will never get my vote only my money cause I have no other choice atm but that will change with time.
    eh. i think it'd work better if people only voted for companies that they've actually had first hand experience with...

you're right though:)
    <3 NTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Why? The question asks which ISP you perceive to have delivered the most in 2005. I ticked NTL and Smart, neither of which are available to me, but I perceive them as being the two who are driving the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

sponge bob: justify the statement " NTl (Cable) ..widely available finally"
    please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldnt call it widely available unless it was in most towns and villlages throughout the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I vote for Eircom!

Yea yea I know, I know they are the spawn of Satan and they will probably eat my soul when I die BUT they are the ones who were willing to put Broadband into my town (that's in the back arse of nowhere...Rathdrum) when no one was willing to.

Broadband was installed in less than a week after the phone call and from day one I have not had one hour of outage or sync problems.
    Download speeds are always good holding about 216Kbps and pings start at 20ms from most reliable servers on my 2mb connection.

Good for games, downloads and Xbox live... so yea, call me all the names under the sun but they get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

NTl (Cable) ..widely available finally

uh huh right ! unless they have to dig up a road or two up grade your estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Since most of Dublin has Cable and NTL is upgrading their cable cable for BB, the poll is a bit skewed.

A separate outside of Cities (Cork, Limerick, Galway, Dublin) poll will give a hugely different answer:
    NTL/Chorus = 0
    IBB = 0
    DSL providers = low
    Digiweb = low

IBB though are finally offering a service similar to Metro in Limerick with 15Km range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

god's toy wrote:
    I vote for Eircom!

Yea yea I know, I know they are the spawn of Satan and they will probably eat my soul when I die BUT they are the ones who were willing to put Broadband into my town (that's in the back arse of nowhere...Rathdrum) when no one was willing to.

Broadband was installed in less than a week after the phone call and from day one I have not had one hour of outage or sync problems.
    Download speeds are always good holding about 216Kbps and pings start at 20ms from most reliable servers on my 2mb connection.

Good for games, downloads and Xbox live... so yea, call me all the names under the sun but they get my vote.

But doesn't BT/UTV resell that exact same Eircom adsl at a lower price and better customer service?

Confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

watty wrote:
    But doesn't BT/UTV resell that exact same Eircom adsl at a lower price and better customer service?

Confused.
    Maybe but Eircom came out to upgrade the phone lines just so we could get BB. I know people who have BT and UTV an I'm not joking when I say they are not happy with them, I'm happy so Eircom get my vote... yea I know it's odd and I feel kinda unclean.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    sponge bob: justify the statement " NTl (Cable) ..widely available finally"
    please.

NTL have Dublin Waterford and Galway (Bray??) as their cable 'franchise' areas. They only had parts of South Dublin available this time last year but now have cable BB available in most of their franchise areas with all areas allegedly complete in 2006 .

NTL were almost the ONLY BB provider in Dublin for a long time but were only actually providing a service in Tallaght for years and years (the lucky sods) .

2005 was the year when NTL cable became widely available .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Im southside Dublin,
    Ive just moved into a brand spanking new house with all brand spanking new lines.............
    NTheLL Say, "oh, we *might* be getting broadband up an running there in about 6 months sir.
    Im in fecking clondalkin! Not as if im in the middle of nowhere!!:confused::confused:

b;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Thread title: "BB Provider of the Year ....." -- development of that title: "WORST BB Provider of the Year" goes to Irish Broadband. Quelle supris!

Sponge Bob wrote:
    NTL have Dublin Waterford and Galway (Bray??) as their cable 'franchise' areas. They only had parts of South Dublin available this time last year but now have cable BB available in most of their franchise areas with all areas allegedly complete in 2006 .

NTL were almost the ONLY BB provider in Dublin for a long time but were only actually providing a service in Tallaght for years and years (the lucky sods) .

2005 was the year when NTL cable became widely available .
    ok. So because they had a tiny part of the country covered last year, and have since upgraded this to a small part of the country.... it is now suddenly "widely available"? I fail to see how. DSL is only now widely available. When most towns in the country get cable (ie: never. NTL will never leave the suburbs) then it can be said to be widely available.

I can see that you're young, enthusiastic and have an interest in broadband, but perhaps you are jumping the gun a little here.

A simple boolean poll with no filler; "is NTL widely available" could answer the question.

NTL BB is available to 1m people or so out of 4m , not insignificant.

NTL cable passes homes in which roughly 1.3m people live . It is available to about 70% of passed homes unlike Eircom BB which is available in exchanges to some 60% of homes are connected but only in your home if your line passes meaning some about 50% of homes served by Eircom nationally can actually get their BB .

You have a far better chance of getting BB off NTL if their cable enters your house than you have of getting DSL from Eircom if Eircoms cable enters your house . NTL are still upgrading the local network to ensure people get BB, Eircom do nothing to lines that fail their BB test .

By those definitions NTL is more widely available than Eircom BB.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    NTL BB is available to 1m people or so out of 4m , not insignificant.

NTL cable passes homes in which roughly 1.3m people live . It is available to about 70% of passed homes unlike Eircom BB which is available in exchanges to some 60% of homes are connected but only in your home if your line passes meaning some about 50% of homes served by Eircom nationally can actually get their BB .

You have a far better chance of getting BB off NTL if their cable enters your house than you have of getting DSL from Eircom if Eircoms cable enters your house . NTL are still upgrading the local network to ensure people get BB, Eircom do nothing to lines that fail their BB test .

By those definitions NTL is more widely available than Eircom BB.
    Ok, its pretty clear that youre grasping at straws here, so I'll step out of this to save you further embarrasment.

More people can get eircom/etc than can get NTL. fact.
    Yet NTL is more widely available, according to you.

Its actually stated in your numbers and figures if you look closely.
    According to you, 1 Million people can get NTL(more like 800k), and 50% of the country can get Eircom/etc. (more like 58%, but anyways). Thats about 2 Million people that can avail of Eircom.
    Yet NTL is more widely available?
    Untrue. NTL is available to a certain few select urban centres. Not by a long shot the definition of wide.

What eircom do or dont do for their customers is irrelevant. I get the whole "crusader for the consumer" thing, you have going on. I really do. But adding extra padding and filler to the argument doesnt do it or yourself justice. No sane person could agree with you.
    Youre probably better off to let this one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

For absolute clarity,

You: The person that is reading this.

Your: Something that you own.

You're: A contraction of 'you are'.

"You're brilliant, your boards.ie post shall stand the test of time."

Just felt like it.

Garfield.

For absolute clarity

YOU stay out of this :D, or at least edit your sig till the poll is over .

If Fuzzylogic thinks that Eircom DSL is available to 58% of households today I can only recommend a nick change :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I voted for Eircom, I've been with them for over 2 years now and never had any problems, speeds are always good. Admittedly it's a little pricey but I don't mind, considering the lack of problems I have in comparison to friends with other ISP's. I looked into changing to NTL as we have NTL digital etc in the house and they said their BB isn't availible where I live and that it was only availible in west dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

I'm surprised Imagine hasn't got more votes.

They signed up more customers in the past 3 months than anyone else after Eircom according to figures I read somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ebooborg wrote:
    -u actually get to talk to a person when u ring them unlike eircoms 1901 or BT's dumb operators or Netsource's rude managers

god bless cable

if you say "agent" when you ring 1901 you get put straight through to someone. the machine doesn't give you that option :)

Advertisement