Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Faulty Nokia 6260

• 23-12-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I got a Nokia 6260 (the one with the swivel screen) last April. It worked great for a few months. It died in July. One day screen went white, it wouldn't charge or turn on. Brought it back to the shop and after a month Nokia gave me a new unit.

Lastnight, the exact same thing happened. It's totally dead. I'm going to bring it back to the shop. Should I ask for a refund or could I get a different model Nokia? I know that when I give it to the shop, they'll send it away, they'll give me a new unit, it'll last a few months and it will die again!

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they probably didn't give you a new unit in the first place. you won't get a refund and unfortunately because of the retarded policy on phone repairs you won't get anywhere by being nice.

the policy is that they'll repair it three times before giving you a replacement. they're hoping that it'll last just long enough after each "repair" that by the third time you're out of warranty and they can tell you to fook off. as far as i can see they leave the phone in a corner for a month to use up the warranty then send it back with "tested to manufacturer's specifications" written on it.

working in a phone shop i've seen a nice person have to bring a phone back 5 times with the same fault even though the policy is to get a new one after 3 times, simply because they won't do anything about it. i've also seen pr!cks get a new one after 1 repair.
    my advice is to be polite but firm about a full replacement and if they won't give you one stop being polite. but don't shout at the person in the shop or even the manager because all that'll do is piss them off. they can't make the decision, they both have to ask someone higher up if they can give a replacement. cut out the middle man and speak to the area manager or the equivalent.

if they give you a new one be sure to check the imei is different. they might just give you yours with a different cover. i'm fairly sure that's what they did the last time. go and compare your current phone with the imei on the box the original came in. bet they're the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

I checked the two IMEI's and their different.

I rang the Nokia service centre and they said they have to have a look at it and if its a level 3 fault it'll have to be sent away......exactly the same as the last time!!

I asked them if there's any alternative seen as its the exact same problem as before but they said no!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

On the negative side, the Nokia 6260 does appear to have software and reliability problems. You should read the user reviews below to find out about people's experiences with this phone, but the main issues seem to be faulty phones, phones breaking and software glitches. It seems that Nokia smartphones often come with reliability problems, especially any like the 6260 that feature novel designs or features.

Now I don't know if the above is a fair statement but you can read thru the full info here .....

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-6260.htm

Must admit I never had any luck with anything that folded or swiveled .... give me a 'Choccie bar every time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

they're hoping that it'll last just long enough after each "repair" that by the third time you're out of warranty and they can tell you to fook off. as far as i can see they leave the phone in a corner for a month to use up the warranty then send it back with "tested to manufacturer's specifications" written on it.

That's a very cynical and probably untrue statement.

Pythia wrote:
    That's a very cynical and probably untrue statement.

i'm basing it on the fact that the majority of people coming in to my shop with faulty phones are in for the 2nd/3rd/4th time. its very rare for a fixed phone to stay fixed for long. i'm sure they do something but whatever they it is its not fixing it. the worst is when they keep sending it back saying theres nothing wrong with it when there clearly is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elvis Mc Fonzy

i'm basing it on the fact that the majority of people coming in to my shop with faulty phones are in for the 2nd/3rd/4th time. its very rare for a fixed phone to stay fixed for long. i'm sure they do something but whatever they it is its not fixing it. the worst is when they keep sending it back saying theres nothing wrong with it when there clearly is

the shop will send the phone to a third party service centre and the phone is 'doa' (dead on arrival) tested. This includes (depending on the fault description) physical inspection, including opening the handset to inspect for liquid damage,keypad check, live call check and r.f test (power & frequancy test). if a phone is intermittently failing and is not found to be failing when its tested then its marked as a passed all tests unit.this is why a phone can be sent in two or three times - its not a scam to use a phones warranty. If you work in a phone shop you should know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elvis Mc Fonzy

the shop will send the phone to a third party service centre and the phone is 'doa' (dead on arrival) tested. This includes (depending on the fault description) physical inspection, including opening the handset to inspect for liquid damage,keypad check, live call check and r.f test (power & frequancy test). if a phone is intermittently failing and is not found to be failing when its tested then its marked as a passed all tests unit.this is why a phone can be sent in two or three times - its not a scam to use a phones warranty. If you work in a phone shop you should know this.
    bee - ATCH!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

the shop will send the phone to a third party service centre
    That's not always true, some phone shops do their own repairs.

yes, clearly because i work in a shop i should know the procedures of a company that i don't work for. if the repair docket has "intermittently failing" or something to that effect on it,they should probably test for intermittent failure before sending it back. all they have to do is leave the phone on for ten minutes and they'll find out that it keeps turning off.

there's one poor woman who's never even made it to her car. we give her the phone, she leaves, then comes back five minutes later saying it turned off again, so we send it back. it comes back a few weeks later and the docket says its working properly. this has been going on for at least six months. they won't replace it because they can't find a problem with it.

in a situation like that you have to admit they're either apathetic or retarded.

Advertisement