Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 Insurance Policies?

Options
  • 23-12-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I have a 1.0 litre Toyota Yaris and i'm looking to get insured on it as a named driver on my dads policy. Hes already insured on his own car (Merc E240) with 'Allianz'. I want to know if he will be able to take out a seperate policy with 'Tesco' and have me as a named driver.
    PS. I'm 17 (male) on a provisional licence!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes he can, but his NCB won't count, so he'll be charged full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Seamus, what if nothing is said to the other insurance company though? will they really know

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

His NCB can't count.

In order to avail of an NCB, you have to present a certificate of no claims. This certificate will also include the start and end dates of the last policy to which the bonus applied. If the other policy hasn't ended, the new insurer won't apply an NCB.

Other than that, failure to disclose relevant information invalidate your policy. So if you manage to get them to apply the NCB without informing them of the other policy, the new policy is not valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would he then start building a ncb on the the second policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bond-007 wrote:
    Would he then start building a ncb on the the second policy?

Yes.
    But to be honest your not going to save a whole lot by putting him as the main driver and you as a named driver as policies are created with the highest risk driver in mind. So, if your dad were to transfer his NCB you would save a nice lump, but you may only be saving 2-300 euro going down the route you seem to be taking.

If it was me id just start my own policy as it'll pay back in 2-3 years when you have an NCB and can get insured on a more powerful car.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement
Advertisement