Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I use built in wireless?

• 23-12-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Ok just got ntl 3mb installed and wireless network set up and ive noticed on my laptop im not quite getting the full 3mb. My laptop has built in wireless g and im connecting through it and im wondering would i get much of an increase in speed if i bought a network card? My pc is connected wirelessly by usb adaptor and it is getting a better speed (probaly because both it and the router are netgear). Any suggestions would be great.

D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You will NEVER get the full 3Mb.

Because of contention with other users and overheads in the protocols like handshaking, flow control, checksums.

How close do you get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

I checked the connection by ethernet cable and i got 2.95mb stable. On my pc i get around 2.9mb (sometimes 2.5 but not often) which i think is pretty impressive over wireless. I knew i would never get the full speed im just looking for the best way to maximise the speed i have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wireless falls back to slower speeds if the signal quality isn't good enough to support a faster one. eg 11Mbs 5.5MBs 2 MBs 1MBs
    Note they are half duplex speeds.

you might get slightly faster speeds by playing with the MTU size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

the Internet connection speed is independent of your internal LAN speed.

Also, speed tests will fluctuate up and down whether checking from wired or wireless ethernet connected PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭badrobot

Some internal wireless network cards in laptops have really dodgy throughput, most notably the Intel 2200BG which is standard on a lot of laptops. I have one and I'm thinking of changing soon. I sometimes get only about 50% of what I'd get on my other wireless computer, even though I'm a lot closer to the router on the laptop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement