Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 911

Options
  • 23-12-2005 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know what sort of tax and insurance would I be looking at per year
    on (beautiful) 1984 Porsche 911 Sports Coupe. I am in my 30's and never
    had an accident. But will I still get crucified just because I love the 911's,
    and have always wanted one ??

I don't have the engine spec yet, but I am presuming it must be at least 3.2

cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You can get a classic car insurance policy on anything over 20 years so you'll be talking #€600 to €800 maybe. You'll have limited mileage and need something else as a daily driver though. Tax wise I think it's close to €1600 for 3.0L and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

a 3 litre is 313eu every 3 months, or 1213eu a year. A classic policy is possible, but you do have to have proof you have a policy on another car, and it will probably be a limited mileage policy too. I was quoted 750 odd for a 79 sc, with a 4000 mile limit, but I was under 30, so we got a garage policy for work. Make sure the 915 type gearbox in the car is ok and not grinding gears, esp into 2nd, but make sure the box is warm before you give it a good test. Better still, buy a book or 2 on buying one, this will save you a lot of heartache, and you will get to know what a 3.2 carrera is supposed to have. One thing to watch though is to make sure its a 3.2 carrera and not a late 83 3.0 Sc that ended up being registered in 84. Any book should detail the cosmetic diffs between the 2, or I can let you know if you are not sure. and let you know what you are getting into. What colour is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

jeez Kersh.. you've certainly done your homework on the old skool Porsche's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dilly1 wrote:
    Hi,

Anyone know what sort of tax and insurance would I be looking at per year
    on (beautiful) 1984 Porsche 911 Sports Coupe. I am in my 30's and never
    had an accident. But will I still get crucified just because I love the 911's,
    and have always wanted one ??

cheers :D

Just want to add, great choice..plan on doing the same in a few years time :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

ye, tell me about it, think I have over 20 books on 911s, buyers guides/haynes etc. Just to be sure the car is correct and has all its bits. An 84 3.2 should have rear fog lights in the rear reflector, oil fed chain tensioners, a certain type steering wheel and some other bits and bobs. The chassis number has to have certain numbers in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Mate is paying about 1200 but its limited mileage not classic insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dilly1 wrote:

An '84 Carrera is indeed 3.2l (3164cc) so tax would be €379 per quarter or slightly less painful, €1343 per annum :mad:

unkel wrote:
    An '84 Carrera is indeed 3.2l (3164cc) so tax would be €379 per quarter or slightly less painful, €1343 per annum :mad:

If you can aford to buy it, you should be able to afford to run it :D Hate paying the govt the tax though. The roads being what they are.

A 1984 3.2 carrera left the production line between August 1983 and July 1984 (this is a porsche year).
    If its a Coupe the chassis number should be WPOZZZ91ZES100001 to 4403.
    If its a targa the chassis number should be WPOZZZ91ZES140001 to 1469.
    If its a cabrio the chassis number should be WPOZZZ91ZES150001 to 1835.
    More importantly the engine type number should be a 930/20, with a number from63E00001 and upwards.
    On the off chance yours is an August 84 to july 85 car, substitute the E in the above chassis numbers for an F, and if its a 3 litre Sc masquerading as a 3,2 (ie an August 82 - July 83 car), substitute the E for a D.
    Other ways to spot a 3.2 carrera are inset foglights in the front bumper, and it has elecronic ignition.
    Like i said, make sure it is what it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

If you can aford to buy it, you should be able to afford to run it :D Hate paying the govt the tax though. The roads being what they are.

aye, i dont know if alot of people know this but do u guys have any ideas about waht the average shop or small office pays to the govt in rates (property tax) might open yer eyes to realities of life and taxes. road tax even on 3+ liter engines has (thank god) not gone up significantly since the early nineties other than 3 or 4% a year. in realtive terms its never been more affordable to drive a big engined car than its been. also large cars lose alot more in depreciation due to most people thinking they cant afford to tax a large engined car when tax even 1400 makes up not alot of the annual running expenses of even a new vw golf.i say keep the tax, and lets see a 130 grandcar shed its value to 15 grand in 8 years:D

• Advertisement

I think if you are talking about running costs you should make a distinction between running costs, (repairs servicing) vs (depreciation, insurance and tax).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

Thanks for your help and information guys, I think the 911 is a work
    of art not just a car.

cheers

I just got an e-mail back this morning with the spec

The engine is a 3.2L 231bhp flat 6.
    it is the original one for the car & is completely standard.

Cool, that should be a carrera so. Most 911s do have standard engines, as from what i have seen very few owners go messing around with them, they are sweet as they are. Only difference mechanically is the bigger displacement and electronic fuel injection, as opposed to my mechanical system. Is it a targa, or a coupe. What colour, do you have any pics?

Its a Black Sports Coupe, also has 964 bumpers and alloys from 1990 model, which I think look very nice.

Advertisement