Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[article] Speed Limiters for certain vehicle types

Options
  • 23-12-2005 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

This hot off the presses

from indo
    The Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, has announced that speed limiters are to be fitted to new categories of vehicles from January 1st.

The new regulations will include all goods-vehicles with a maximum weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes, but not exceeding 12 tonnes.

Passenger-carrying vehicles with more than 8 passengers will also be required to fit speed limiters.

Under the regulations, the owners and drivers of any vehicle in these categories which fails to fit the devices will be fined up to €3,000 or could face 3 months in jail.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Yet another excuse by our beloved government to swing the problem around and blame the motorist for the lack of funding on Irish roads. Even though the Irish motorist had paid for excellent roads through VRT and taxes many times over our government still insists on penalizing the motorist at every turn. When will we wake up to this rip-off, enough is enough. Something really has to be done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Couldn't they deter speeding trucks/buses by just enforcing the existing laws ?

There are lots of things that aren't allowed over 80Kmph, including anything with a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nah, that'd make too much sense!
    There are lots of things that aren't allowed over 80Kmph, including anything with a trailer.
    ...even a motorbike?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

But that wouldn't look very good in a press release.
    'The government today announced that they are going to enforce existing laws'
    It's much more important to create the appearance that they're doing something than it is to actually do something.

Anyway, I haven't got one fitted yet so I guess I better go off and find a school zone to drive through at 52kph. Come to think of it, I haven't got a breathalyser fitted either, so I suppose I better have a few pints first.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Not a whole lot of notice is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

parsi wrote:
    Not a whole lot of notice is it ?

The thought just occured to me...

What if the irlgov started talking about mandatory speed limiters for normal cars?

There would be public outcry of course, and people would talk about emergency situations, and so maybe the limit would be set at, 10kmph above the motorway max.

I would not like this nanny state law, but it is bound to be raised at some point.

Advertisement