Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying BB problem

• 23-12-2005 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm having trouble getting eircom BB (surprise surprise).

We applied for eircom BB last month and it was activated this week. The problem is that although the line is activated and we've got it all set up right at our end we're still not getting a connection at all.

I spoke to BB support and we deduced that there must be a problem with the connection from the Dun Loaghaire exchange to our flat, possibly with the internal wiring of the apartment block. They said they could book an engineer to come and look but we'd have to pay.

Leaving the sheer rip-off aspect of that aside i'm just wondering what could possibly be wrong? Has anyone else experienced this? If so how was it resolved? Is it worth getting the engineer?

A bit of background about the situation, I've had eircon BB before so I know how it's set up. We've 2 lots of kit ie, 2 routers, 2 sets of cables, 2 filters and neither set works. I can't be sure but I think at one stage the DSL sync light came on for a couple of seconds and went off, but not even a flicker since. Both the normal BB department and the tech support guy confirmed that the line was active and functional (How do they test that?). We do live in a fairly old apartment block so i was thinking it could it be a problem with a split connection into the block?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is there anything connected to phone line in the house other then phone? I have Sky Plus, and have to plug out the phone line from the digi box - otherwise, cannot get BB to stay on. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Presumably they checked your line and it passes for broadband.

Now I would presume that when Eircom sell bb they mean that they will supply a signal to your phone socket? the product surely is not sold as to your local exchange?

I would query them and ask them exactly what they are selling you - tell them you are not prepared to pay for an engineers vist - and that if you do not receive proper attention you will take it up with Comreg and their own Chief executive(cant remember his exact email address but someone here will supply it for you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

Is there anything connected to phone line in the house other then phone? I have Sky Plus, and have to plug out the phone line from the digi box - otherwise, cannot get BB to stay on. ;)

Nope nothing else on the line other than the phone (which works fine). Even with this disconnected it makes no difference. :(
    dub45 wrote:
    Presumably they checked your line and it passes for broadband.

Now I would presume that when Eircom sell bb they mean that they will supply a signal to your phone socket? the product surely is not sold as to your local exchange?

Exactly, that's why I'm so confused! Surely if there was a problem between the exchange and us then the line wouldn't be able to be activated in the first place?? :confused:

So if the signal is good up to our phone wall socket and the kit on our side is good as well then could it be the wall socket itself? I know it's clutching at straws but does anyone know if there's a special type that's needed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Chavster wrote:

So if the signal is good up to our phone wall socket and the kit on our side is good as well then could it be the wall socket itself? I know it's clutching at straws but does anyone know if there's a special type that's needed?

No special socket required.(I would ring them immediately and make sure they do not start charging you for bb until this is resolved)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

If you have the Router plugged into the Main Socket with nothing else on the Line plugged in then the problem is not down to you and you WONT be charged, the charge is 56 euro and it is only charged if the problem is down to you, ie have a monitored alarm and didn't say/ not using the main phone point but said you did, I have never come across people bring charged the 56 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement