Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rovers to play in Tolka

• 23-12-2005 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=216
    Shamrock Rovers to play in Tolka.

It has been confirmed today by Shelbourne Football Club that Shamrock Rovers will play their home games in Tolka Park next season.

Shamrock Rovers played their home games last season in Dalymount. They were relegated after being deducted 8 points for License irregularities. Since then, they have appointed Pat Scully as their manager and they will be looking for a quick return to the Premier division. Shamrock Rovers are hoping to move to a new stadium in Tallaght in the next two years, ending 18 years of homelessness.

Interesting decision. I was delighted when I read it because Tolka is quite handy for me to get to, so I figured I would get another 3 Shels games in easily next season... then I realised Rovers were in the First Division. Thats not having a go, I honestly just can't get my head around the league not having Rovers in it. Its like the Premier League without Liverpool. Anyway, enough of my rambling...

What do Rovers fans make of this? As a Shels fan I've no major problem with it other than the state of the pitch. Tolka has a nice surface but having a game on it every week might not help matters, especially if there is a bit of extended rain at any stage. Time will tell I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah it'll be no worse for wear then it currently is. After the first few games expect the crowds to drop slightly, and only real fans will go. There'll be no trouble at any of them games, and everything will be fine. Plus, according to the Guardian in the UK we're financially fisted and need the spare change! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Plus, according to the Guardian in the UK we're financially fisted and need the spare change! ;)

I was gonna say when I saw the thread on the main page that we must be short of a few bob if we're letting them play at Tolka again. Between this and the sale(s) of Bryne and Hoolahan I'm starting to wonder did we (Shels) over extend ourselves in the preceeding years, and what effect this might have on the plans to move home?

What will happen if we don't get a Euro spot next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What will happen if we don't get a Euro spot next season?

Quite possibly this.

Kerr-blammo!

:D

We'd be f*cked so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Quite possibly this.

Jaysus Ollie's looking well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

and what effect this might have on the plans to move home?

Home to the southside or even further away to santry ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems we negotiated a very good deal with Oily - much less than we were paying at Dalymount - and as it's just (hopefully) for one season, I've no problem with it. Shel's, Boez and St Pat's were all eager to get us in to suplement their income, so we had a very strong barganing position. It's definately preferable to playing in Morton Stadium, which was the alternative.

d22ontour wrote:
    Home to the southside or even further away to santry ?
    In the context of the rest of his post I think he was talking about Shels plans to relocate, not Rovers.

That isn't being funded by on-pitch success, merely the sale of the 90+ year lease they have on Tolka.
    If rumours are true, and thats all they are - rumours, we've been spending loans on the basis of getting that money, so if you believe that we're already past the point of return and will either be moving home or going bankrupt.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    In the context of the rest of his post I think he was talking about Shels plans to relocate, not Rovers.

That isn't being funded by on-pitch success, merely the sale of the 90+ year lease they have on Tolka.
    If rumours are true, and thats all they are - rumours, we've been spending loans on the basis of getting that money, so if you believe that we're already past the point of return and will either be moving home or going bankrupt.

I've no problem with the move, I live in Swords and Lissenhall suits me more than Tolka Park. I want to see a modern stadium with decent facilities, end of.

What worries me is the fact that we're in a mess financially (and the rumours I hear, from a very good source I'll add) are that the club is in a mess. On a number of occassions last season players were left unpaid. Not good to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

[QUOTE=super_furry I've no problem with it. Shel's, Boez and St Pat's were all eager to get us in to suplement their income, so we had a very strong barganing position. .[/QUOTE]

Dunno about the others but no hope of you playing in Richer ever again, no clue why :rolleyes:

Hope we get Rovers in the cup Tolka is good fun when they are there.....zing

/2-1

kdjac

Not going to bother getting into another pointless argument with you about how just much you hate us, but Rovers were in talks with all other three Dublin clubs and took the deal best for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Rovers are not wanted and frankly I'm disgusted by Shels' decision to let them use our ground.

This is the same Rovers fans that invaded our ground last season and it's the same Rovers fans who tried to lynch our fans at Dalymount and who threw missiles and bottles in our direction which could have seriously injured our fans. The Rovers board (400 club) never apologised or condoned their fans disgraceful behaviour and we let them use our ground? I'm absolutely disgusted, outraged and sickened by this decision. I don't give a damn about the rent, this completely wrong and a massive slap in the face for our fans. How any Shels fan can not have a problem with this is bizarre.

Get the hell out of Tolka Shamrock Rovers..... YOU'RE NOT WANTED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

" 'tis the season to be jolly":D

Its great that all the Dub clubs are so friendly.

If we need the money as much as it is beginning to seem, then I'd rent it to Nazi's for all I care. Anything to keep the money consistently flowing into Shelbourne FC.

Maybe not by you personally, but your board and your more realistic fans not only want us, but need us. After failing to make it to the Champions League, your board needs to recoup all the money it can - witness the sale of your best players. If Rovers playing in Tolka helps your club from going under, then I'm glad to help. You can thank me later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

better than morton

blu_sonic wrote:
    better than morton

I should certainly hope so!

in a accesibility sence, but we as a club could have done more at morton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Rovers are not wanted and frankly I'm disgusted by Shels' decision to let them use our ground.

This is the same Rovers fans that invaded our ground last season and it's the same Rovers fans who tried to lynch our fans at Dalymount and who threw missiles and bottles in our direction which could have seriously injured our fans. The Rovers board (400 club) never apologised or condoned their fans disgraceful behaviour and we let them use our ground? I'm absolutely disgusted, outraged and sickened by this decision. I don't give a damn about the rent, this completely wrong and a massive slap in the face for our fans. How any Shels fan can not have a problem with this is bizarre.

I remember hearing (and expressing) the same last year. Unfortunately money talks, and it's talking pretty loud at Shels right now.

• Advertisement

ah reminds me of a song i heard:

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

I seen ya around for a long long time
    I really remember you when you drank my wine

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

I'd seen ya walkin' down in Chinatown
    I called ya but you could not look around

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

I pay my money to the welfare line
    I see ya standing in it every time

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

The color of your skin don't matter to me
    As long as we can live in harmony

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

I'd kinda' like to be the president
    So I could show you how your money's spent

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

Sometimes I don't speak right
    But yet I know what I'm talking about

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

I know you're working for the CIA
    They wouldn't have you in the mafia

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

well can't we kiss and make up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Ah the voice of reason. Oily will take any money he can and be happy with it. Its always an honour to take abuse off a club that has a convicted criminal in charge:rolleyes:

The fact is that we are wanted. Another unnamed club were in consistent contact with us to use their ground, again.

You are a fine one to talk about invading pitches. What about oily against Drogheda? Is he gonna attack a manager again this season?

I'll repeat this again cos obviously you havent heard or just allowed the facts swim over you like oily does: The 400 club barred individuals after the incident in dalymount. Do you understand that?:rolleyes:

KdjaC
    Dunno about the others but no hope of you playing in Richer ever again, no clue why.

Wrong again but then again you've never been right so at the very least you are consistent kid.

speriamo wrote:
    Wrong again but then again you've never been right so at the very least you are consistent kid.

So Rovers will play (at home) in Richmond again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So Rovers will play (at home) in Richmond again?

Nothing to do with Pats why they wont also nothing to do with football either, but the residents ie people who live there have been quite vocal on the subject. And simply put Rovers will never play a home game in Richmond as tenants in any deal.

Wonder how long they last out in Tolka im betting May.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

It was never gonna be Dalymount after the amount of time the 400club spent attacking Branvard over going to Dalymount last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

speriamo wrote:
    Ah the voice of reason. Oily will take any money he can and be happy with it. Its always an honour to take abuse off a club that has a convicted criminal in charge:rolleyes:

The fact is that we are wanted. Another unnamed club were in consistent contact with us to use their ground, again.

You are a fine one to talk about invading pitches. What about oily against Drogheda? Is he gonna attack a manager again this season?

I'll repeat this again cos obviously you havent heard or just allowed the facts swim over you like oily does: The 400 club barred individuals after the incident in dalymount. Do you understand that?:rolleyes:

Yeah the voice of reason here himself has to back up his argument using Ollie as exhibit A which has no relevance to the title of this thread. This thread isn't about Ollie, it's about Rovers and their lease of Tolka park. Do you not understand that?:rolleyes:

Rovers never publically condoned or apologised to Shelbourne FC and it's fans for those disgusting scenes at Dalymount. As with every other regime in charge of Rovers, when the topic of Rovers hooliganism comes to the fray the words Sweep.Under.Carpet comes into action.

or the clear FACT that the 400 club acted on the "fans" causing the trouble, on apologising where was oily's to roddy?

bohsman wrote:
    It was never gonna be Dalymount after the amount of time the 400club spent attacking Branvard over going to Dalymount last year

Keep telling yourself that..........

speriamo wrote:
    Keep telling yourself that..........

So the 400club were perfectly happy with branvards decision to play in dalymount?

I would have been happy to get your rent for another year tbh

• Advertisement

it would have been dalier from a bohs prespective but our fans would not have been happy, that stadium is a jinx on us, and paying bohs is a noose around our neck, atleast ya'll might go bust now so yay it'll be a good day for football

bohsman wrote:
    So the 400club were perfectly happy with branvards decision to play in dalymount?

I would have been happy to get your rent for another year tbh

No but what I meant was how your club practically begged us to stay on. NO CHANCE!

speriamo wrote:
    No but what I meant was how your club practically begged us to stay on. NO CHANCE!

To completely contradict my earlier post I believe it was a done deal if you had stayed up

bohsman wrote:
    To completely contradict my earlier post I believe it was a done deal if you had stayed up

That never came into it. What did was the fact that you needed our money. Sorry:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Thats grand , i only have to drive to tolka now to watch rovers playing this season. suits me fine :)

Advertisement