Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attn: Repli

Options
  • 23-12-2005 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I know that, technically this should be in the feedback forum, but since there is very little crossover between the two groups of posters, and this concerns both, I'm sure you'll move it and leave a link here.

Firstly welcome back and merry Christmas.

Secondly this is by no means anything personal, since I don't know you and your internet persona has never been anything but nice that I've seen - but (always a but) since your sudden return the quality of the self-defence/martial arts forum has dropped greatly.

There are now several moved threads stuck near the top of the forum, one of which certainly had no place being moved (the dodgy knee injury thread - yes, technically it's a fitness issue, but it's a martial arts related injury that is well known to us, but since few details were provided could be a mystery to the fitness posters. A better course, IMO, would have been to direct the poster to the fitness forum if they had no success with SD/MA - [they did, I might add]).

All the other threads on this issue are closed (by yourself), hence my new one.

The forum is now cluttered with many posts from users who are commenting only on you, most of whom are rarely, if ever, seen in the SD/MA forum.

With the decline of irmac.net (sorry PB if you're lurking) this forum has attracted many well known people such as John Kavanagh, John Brawn, Dave Joyce, P Clint and others from diverse and contrasting backgrounds. It has functioned well with Colm O Reilly as the main mod, with debates between people with radically different ideas being sensible and articulate.

So in essence my point is that your actions (locking, moving and deleting threads - apart from obvious necessities), are hurting the forum.

You're adhering to the rules, fair enough, but it's ruining the flow of posts, which took so long to build up.

I would ask you to think of the forum (and the children) and consider your position.

Props for all your hard work, either way, I know modding can often be a thankless task.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I agree with all the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

I too agree. Well tought out arguement clive, as i would expect from the sd/ma forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Well said Clive. There's a dynamic on the board where in spite of our differences and disagreements we make the place work. Our board needs little or no modding and to be honest the sudden spate of "I'm asserting the fact that I'm back" interventions is doing what Clive said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I couldn't agree more... we're the only board with the ability to aggressively self-moderate. If nothing else are arguments are solved by our individual group meets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MOBB

Nicely put, and i'd agree with that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Clive wrote:
    All the other threads on this issue are closed (by yourself), hence my new one.

Ok firstly, not a single one of the threads about me in the Feedback forum were locked by 'myself', I don't have the power to. They were locked by SMods and Admins as far as I know. Secondly, I don't see anything wrong with locking threads like this:
    Attn: MR.FLIBBLE
    Dude, you're a ****ing eejit

I mean what class of a fool are you?

Just saw that link you posted...................DOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't care how 'clique-y' the forum is, crap like that won't be tolerated. And thirdly, the two threads I moved recently:
    Moved: ads and locked threads
    Moved: moved threads
    have absolutely nothing to do with SD/MA, they are site wide issues and should have been posted in Feedback and won't get a lot of response in SD/MA.
    I know that, technically this should be in the feedback forum, but since there is very little crossover between the two groups of posters, and this concerns both, I'm sure you'll move it and leave a link here.

Yes it should be in the Feedback forum, I think you'll find there is a huge crossover between the two groups of posters. SMods/Admins read Feedback to hear what users have to say about how boards.ie is run, they don't go around every single individual forum because as you know there's hundreds, and it wouldn't surprise me if no SMods/Admins (which this issue primarily concerns) read this in this forum, so congratulations, you've forced me to move yet another thread which you knew belonged in Feedback in the first place.

We dont feel that it's an issue with the site admin rather its a local issue within the SD/MA board. Maybe just answering some of the issues or taking the concerns (board wide) on board would be a better solution. The mod is there to serve the community.

Vasch_ro innocently posted a question in feedback, and I know the guy and it was innocent enough, and was treated rather rudely and disrespectfully in my eyes.

Repli, you left a community for understandable reasons and re-entered it very abruptly. I think it's important assuming that the success of the SD/MA board is your no.1 concern to take on board and appreciate the concerns of the posters there. You've some of the top coaches and fighters in Ireland posting on the board and by tinkering too much they're gonna be driven away.

So I appreciate that you're trying to mod the boards and indeed respect for that but take heed that the place has changed, and indeed prospered, and there is an unmistakeable dynamic that has to have due care and respect shown lest it be lost.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd have banned all of you for constently posting off-topic in the martial arts forum.

This isn't your private little shindig, get that through your noggins. You are given the privilege of posting on boards.ie, not the right. There are people who aren't happy with how boards.ie works, some of them set up their own forums. Nobody is going to stop you from doing that.

I'd have banned all of you for constently posting off-topic in the martial arts forum.

This isn't your private little shindig, get that through your noggins. You are given the privilege of posting on boards.ie, not the right.

I think that's a little unnecessary. I would like to think that boards.ie is here to facilitate discourse. Having little snipes like that is unfair. The Irish martial arts community is small. Many people know each other and many get to know each other on boards. Also knowing each other on boards means we often train together. I appreciate that a colloquial style may not be to your liking but being so negative us isn't exactly constructive.

I would like to think that as a moderator your goal is minimal intervention and encouraging free speech.

Anyway Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll preface this by saying that lest anyone think im part of the "clique" Im currently banned from the SD/MA and have little interest in being unbanned so i dont have any real vested interest in all of this. I've also less reason to be as diplomatic as clive et al

The succinct version: Repli, you completely abandoned the SD/MA for the best bart of two years. To think you can show up again, pick up the sheriffs badge and resume where you left off is very bad form and shows some cheek on your part IMO. The forum has elected a new mod then grown, changed and thrived while you were gone. It self regulates itself to strong degree with a good mod in COR (boo hiss) steping in when needs be. To put it bluntly: as a moderator you're not needed or wanted by the "clique" (aka the people who, unlike you, have contributed to the forum consistently over the last few years). Im sure theyd love to have you contribute as a fellow member though.

the long version:

I was probably on the SD/MA longer than most the current regulars and can remember the era when runfree and repli were moderating. Neither seemed to have much experience in martial arts ( apologies if im wrong) and they werent the best moderators either tbh. As a result the forum was a bit of a non-event. Over time both repli and runfree drifted off into the blue and the forum freewheeled for a while. Gradually a lot of migrants from the irmac forum came on baord and things began to pick up. Eventually we decided we should elect a new mod, as the previous ones were AWOL. At the time I suggested removing repli as a mod also to avoid the situation that has now ocurred. That didnt happen but the forum developed to its current situation where theres good discussions and some senior players giving the others the benefit of their experience. Many of the forum members meet up IRL and train at times as well. All is well as far as most are concerened

Now, for a mod who abandoned a forum for years to walk back into that forum where most of its users are happy with the current state of play and to have his mates post threads organising dates etc and start moving threads off etc...well to you really expect any other reaction than for users to register their displeasure?

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote:
    At the time I suggested removing repli as a mod also to avoid the situation that has now ocurred.
    What situation?
    Bambi wrote:
    The succinct version: Repli, you completely abandoned the SD/MA for the best bart of two years.
    That's strange, seeing as how I'm hardly even moderating the board 2 years. I suggest you do a search of my posts.
    Bambi wrote:
    Neither seemed to have much experience in martial arts ( apologies if im wrong)
    Yes in my case you are wrong, 6 years of mixed WTF/ITF taekwondo will tell you otherwise. But that doesn't even matter when it comes down to the issue of my capacity to moderate a forum so I don't know why you brought it up.
    Bambi wrote:
    Im currently banned from the SD/MA
    You clearly have a personal gripe with me for banning you.

I agree with pretty much everything thats been said here. I really have very little interest in being part of a "community" run by a internet nerd with a green belt in tae kwon do who let the power go to his head. The joy of this board was that i had personally met almost everyone, so there was always a context in which to take everything that was said. No we have some nobody and his frankly pathethic interweb buddies (i'm looking a cult here) throwing their weight around.
    This forum is going to lose all the big time irish martial arts players very quickly if this carries on. I for one won't post again in the current state of the board. Soon enough it'll go back to the discussion of third kup tkd patterns, and which is stronger, knifehand or fist arguements. I suggest everyone jump ship now, before the board decends back into the state we found it in.
    Thanks everyone,
    Mick Leonard,
    MMA'er
    Former boards.ie poster

columok wrote:
    I think that's a little unnecessary. I would like to think that boards.ie is here to facilitate discourse. Having little snipes like that is unfair. The Irish martial arts community is small. Many people know each other and many get to know each other on boards. Also knowing each other on boards means we often train together. I appreciate that a colloquial style may not be to your liking but being so negative us isn't exactly constructive.

I would like to think that as a moderator your goal is minimal intervention and encouraging free speech.

Anyway Merry Christmas

The only negativity being bandied around here is on the side of your cohorts (seeing as you have decided to refer to yourself as "we").

As a moderator, my goals depend on the board I moderate. On For Sales, maximum intervention to achieve fair sales and smooth transactions is my goal. On Digital Art / Deisgn, my goal is to provide an informative and supportive group while cutting out abuse and snide remarks.
    On Anime / Manga, my goal is to introduce irish fans to the wider world of anime available outside of DVD stores and encourage intelligent debate.

I think my goals for Digital Art / Design most closely resemble Replis goals for SD/MA. The sheer immaturity of a lot of the posting on SD/MA makes me question whether or not the majority of it's posters are not 13 year olds.

Food wrote:
    You sir, need to shush, you've no interest in the MA/SD forum
    Or maybe.. just maybe.. he knows a LITTLE more about how moderators should do their job than you?

You clearly have a personal gripe with me for banning you.

No Repli rather than assuming that the guy's making a personal attack listen to what he's said. His figures may be off but what he's saying is being reiterated by everyone on the board. Listen. If you really want the best for the board consider what people are saying. I've no personal gripe with you, either does the OP or any of the other repliers.

No CuLT was being rude and dismissive. Again I've no gripe with the guy but our issue is not with him.

Soon enough it'll go back to the discussion of third kup tkd patterns, and which is stronger, knifehand or fist arguements.
    Sorry, I was under the impression that you didn't need to be at least a red belt in taekwondo to post on the forum. I'll make the necessary changes immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No Repli, You didnt ban me, you havent been around for god knows how long to ban me. I recieved a temporary ban that i felt was pernickety so i never requested to be unbanned. So you can see my perspective is coming from someone who doesnt post in that forum and could hardly be called a fan of certain aspects of it. I dont have any axes to grind

Personally, I find hard to believe that anyone can feel that they can abandon their responsibility as a mod for an extended period of time and then presume that they can take up where they left off . If you think that means i have a problem with you per se, Im sorry you feel that way

Bambi wrote:
    Personally, I find hard to believe that anyone can feel that they can abandon their responsibility as a mod for an extended period of time and then presume that they can take up where they left off .

That's not your decision to make. It's the administrators. If they want to remove me as a moderator for whatever reason, I fully respect that. Also I think the rest of you should have a read of http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Moderator
    before posting again.

The only negativity being bandied around here is on the side of your cohorts (seeing as you have decided to refer to yourself as "we").

Yes we as in community and there is a general community reaction to the recent interventions. I appreciate your experience on the boards but the manner of several mods has been cliquey and dismissive.

Surely the people should have more sway in how a board is run rather than a single absentee mod. There was a dynamic with many many prominent irish martial artists from many opposing viewpoints. I think, and im sure many of my fellow SD/MA board members agree (and are stating this emphatically) that our board does not need the recent spate of interventions.

I dont feel that Repli should step down. I've no interest in complaining to the site mods. I would like the guy to recognise all of our issues and respond to them.

• Advertisement

Food wrote:
    I'm certain Cult know more about being a mod, she is one
    She certainly is.

Food wrote:
    Cult does the point you're trying to make stretch to DCU/TCD/UCD fora? Are you saying within these you can only talk about things directly associtated with said college?
    Yes. That's what they're there for.
    You sir, need to shush, you've no interest in the MA/SD forum you're just backing up your mate, who, appears, judging by the ideas portrayed by regular posters there, to be in the wrong.
    As repli pointed out, my pov is simply that of a moderator on boards.ie. If I thought Repli was in the wrong, I'd just have avoided replying to the thread (though I did study Aikido for a time).

I don't jump on bandwagons.

I can't resist a smart arse. Repli, you are a funny guy. But the ma/sd section was basically a section for tkd/internet nerds to meet and talk about patterns. When you left it became the central hub of communication for most of the irish professional and amature martial arts community. You want your own little nerd hang out back, so your throwing your soother out of the cot. Thats fine. Please don't reply to this, i have no interest in dragging this out with you.

Food wrote:
    Repli, seriously, what's with all the internet skillz. Just ease down on the auld mod button on the forum and we will get along fine.

Yeah sure. I'll leave crap like this
    Dude, you're a ****ing eejit

I mean what class of a fool are you?

Just saw that link you posted...................DOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Att: Fribble
    Fribble do us a favour and not post that link you should not have posted on ANY OTHER SITE.....

IT CLEARLY STATES IT ON THE SITE.....

And off topic threads like these which belong in Feedback

moved threads: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054866277
    ads and locked threads: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054866274

I can't resist a smart arse. Repli, you are a funny guy. But the ma/sd section was basically a section for tkd/internet nerds to meet and talk about patterns. When you left it became the central hub of communication for most of the irish professional and amature martial arts community. You want your own little nerd hang out back, so your throwing your soother out of the cot. Thats fine. Please don't reply to this, i have no interest in dragging this out with you.
    Ah, another Internet toughguy.

indenial.jpg

But the ma/sd section was basically a section for tkd/internet nerds
    I'll say it again, nerd or no nerd, people who do taekwondo or not, everyone is welcome on the board. It's not a hideout for the 'elite few' Irish MMA experts..

Food wrote:
    Ok, delete that stuff. Fine.

Do something to keep you occupied I don't mind. Just stop wrecking the buzz.
    You registered today, how would you have any idea what the forum is like?

...kev_rc_ie.

Nope, i'm a nerd too. No shame admitting it. My computer table is covered in toys and action figures. But i'm also a very well know fighter in irish circles, and thats what the sd/ma forum was about, fighting. I keep my geeking to relevant forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Any new member on any forum I'm on just lurks and gets the lay of the land for a bit before posting.
    After two years absence Replii is a new member here, mod or not. Take a while to get the state of play then Mod. if needed. Jumping in with ill thought out moves just upsets the whole forum. No-One wants to request a Mod. be removed but that option is there as well, since IRMAC folded most of us come here. We would prefer to have a forum to our liking, as it has managed away in your absence.
    If you want a more active role then by all means learn from previous posts and come to some of the classes and seminars and meet the members. We are one of the forums where members actually meet up! We are not Ogres, not even Mick! So feel free to join in and have a laugh, all any of us want is to enjoy our sport/Art or whatever!

• Advertisement

Repli, thats exactly point. Everyone was welcome, nobody banned anyone for geeking it up, but thats all you want. You are a nobody to irish martial arts, and yet your driving everyone away. This has been a torturously long last post, can people just leave me alone now?

Advertisement