Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attn: Repli

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cabelo wrote:
    I couldn't agree more... we're the only board with the ability to aggressively self-moderate. If nothing else are arguments are solved by our individual group meets.
    Just as well it's not the Shooting forum..

As this seems to be the third thread on this particular forum can we try to get this sorted on this thread without having to have more on the Feedback forum every few days?

A start can be made by posting links with your grievances.

Have you discussed this with Colm O'Reilly and Amz by the way Clive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I'll say it again, nerd or no nerd, people who do taekwondo or not, everyone is welcome on the board.

Indeed everyone is welcome but its a community and that has to be respected. You've gone from zero input to mega input in a short space of time showing little or no concern for the community.
    It's not a hideout for the 'elite few' Irish MMA experts.
    Eh mate there are Capoeira, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Krav Maga, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, ex-Practical Martial Arts, BJJ, Wrestling and oh god MMA people on the board. They co-exist pretty well with minimum intervention. And Mick isn't an internet tough guy. And he certainly isnt anonomous. He'll even tell you his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Repli wrote:
    That's not your decision to make. It's the administrators. If they want to remove me as a moderator for whatever reason, I fully respect that. Also I think the rest of you should have a read of http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Moderator
    before posting again.

I never said it was my decision to make. It's yours. I said i cant understand/empathise with the presumption you've made

cult, a really good idea for addressing people online is to imagine you're dealing with them in real life, I find it makes for a far politer exchange :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

I recently looked up my family tree. I am actually 1/8 ogre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Repli, thats exactly point. Everyone was welcome, nobody banned anyone for geeking it up, but thats all you want.
    What the hell are you on about? Give me a specific example of when I banned someone for 'geeking it up'?

• Advertisement

Thats not what i mean. I'm saying that you're trying to force the board back to the way it was when you left. Its better now. Leave it alone.

Musashi wrote:
    After two years absence Replii is a new member here
    I dunno where people are getting these facts and figures from.. two years? Also as Gordon said, link to the individual posts with which you have a grievance, otherwise this is all just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Repli. There's a general malaise. Accept it and learn from it or move on.

How about the fact that since repli (do you have a name by the way, calling people made up nonsesnse hurts my brain) returned the sd/ma forum has five moved threads and three locked threads cluttering up the front page. Most caused by him and his non-ma friends? Colm did a great job of streamlining the forum and making it user friendly, and no-name here undid it in a few days.

Thats not what i mean. I'm saying that you're trying to force the board back to the way it was when you left. Its better now. Leave it alone.
    Please provide links with your grievances, this thread is just going to end up closed and with some Feedback bannings. FYI it's Christmas Eve but I don't mind handing out bans, I like to aggressively self-moderate too.

• Advertisement

How about the fact that since repli (do you have a name by the way, calling people made up nonsesnse hurts my brain) returned the sd/ma forum has five moved threads and three locked threads cluttering up the front page. Most caused by him and his non-ma friends? Colm did a great job of streamlining the forum and making it user friendly, and no-name here undid it in a few days.

Nothing personal to these people, but I don't know, nor are they my friends, any of the following people: Clive, loz, JohnBrawn, vasch_ro, Liam_B, Andrew_M, Mr. Flibble.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Bambi wrote:
    cult, a really good idea for addressing people online is to imagine you're dealing with them in real life, I find it makes for a far politer exchange :)

This is how I talk to people in real life o_O (smilies and all). Hell, occasionally I'll accidentally let an omfg, wtf, etc let slip.

Of course, my, err, particular "charm", works a lot better in real life. Also, I likely wouldn't be talking to people about "Internetz stuff".

Did you just threaten to ban me by the way? Big man. Bye

Well I gave orla a 1 week ban for that, and locked it, and the other thread was started by vasch_ro so I don't know what you're talking about. Any more?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Did you just threaten to ban me by the way? Big man. Bye

Me?

What would I ban you from, and why?

If not me, you should make more use of the QUOTE button.

Well heres a messy front page for you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=264
    Don't like messy front pages? Ah that's a shame. Usually a messy front page is a sign of a shake down. Either that or people are posting irrelevant threads that need moved. What exactly is the problem with this? Simply not beautiful to the eye?
    Yup - crap thread and has been locked and user banned, good stuff.

Yup, I moved that thread to the bin as it was going nowhere and Kevin was trolling his usual crap again. (Although it may not have been me that moved it there, it could have been another smod, possibly Asok. Whatever and whoever moved it - good call)

Food wrote:
    Did you score her btw?
    Oh, Kev, by the way: you are not wanted here, I know Asok and myself were turning a blind eye to you being back but you're just dribbling away again so this time don't come back thanks.

Gordon wrote:
    Please provide links with your grievances, this thread is just going to end up closed and with some Feedback bannings. FYI it's Christmas Eve but I don't mind handing out bans, I like to aggressively self-moderate too.

A) I dont think you will encourage much in the way of honest discussion by throwing the caveat "or i'll ban you" in. This is the feedback forum and most posters in this thread have been unfailingly polite. I personally would have liked to see some of that politeness in a few of the contributions from the moderators who've given opinions thus far. I cna understand the point about giving specifics but as colm said its the a generalised issue. (and i cant link to the SD/MA forum when im logged in lol.

b) Allow me to try sum up in a manner that will allow for counter points

1) repli was once a mod in the SD/MA forum, he stopped moderating/contributing for a very prolonged period of time. To me, this alone is reason enough for him not to resume moderation duties. IRL If you accept a responsilbilty and then drop it, you loose that responsibility.

2) as most of the posters here have stated, they're happy with the current state of play in the SD/MA forum. So when repli, who none of them know, arrives back and threads begin about organising dates and he begins to move threads around (whether the moves are justified or not is another matter), then i think people who make up the forums community are justified in being concerened in about where the forum is headed and raising those concerns

The core of the issue is whether repli justified in returning to a forum he hasnt had a role in for a very long time and resuming duties without any acknowledgement that said forum has changed or that he should take the opinions of those who HAVE contributed to the forum consistently on board. I personally feel he should put the modding on ice and simply contribute to the board and then in time, if it needed an additional mod, he could put himself forward as COR did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You are a nobody to irish martial arts

Comments like this are no help to anyone.

All I can see here is a Mod doing his/her job and because you all know each other and "meet up" you think its fine to brake forum rules.The Mod is back and enforcing the rules,get over it.I would be interested in what the other forum Mods have to say on this.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote:
    The core of the issue is whether repli justified in returning to a forum he hasnt had a role in for a very long time and resuming duties without any acknowledgement that said forum has changed

You know, I kinda agree with you, but the only 'change' I've seen to the forum is a lot more muppetry and off topic nonsense.. It's not fair to say I brought it on though, unless said people are doing it deliberately to get a rise out of me or have me removed as a moderator. Anyway as I said I respect any decision the admins make regarding this issue.

@ Bambi:
    A) I understand this, personally however I would have preferred the first thread that dealt with this to sort this out but it descended into drivel, so you have a shorter leash now. (log out to view the forum)

1) I don't follow that view personally

2) You don't have to know the moderator for him to perform his role. Raising your concerns is one thing but not giving specific concerns is not exactly constructive.

You guys could have pmd Repli and spoken with him about it and try to sort this problem, that you perceive, out but I gather you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I don't think you will win against removing a mod with the current "regime" on boards. It's easy to become a mod, but very hard to remove one. Just like a judge!

How about choosing one of these two solutions?

1. Repli puts up a poll asking do the users of the forum want him to stay? To be fair in this poll, only people who have posted on the forum before he returned should be allowed to vote. If they vote to have him removed then he should accept it. If he wins the vote, then they accept it, or piss off. :)

or

2. Everyone that doesn't want Repli as mod go off and request a hosted forum and move all their discussions there. Vote in one of your own people as mod and have that person mod you. Call it Irish Martial Arts Community or something. That way there is an agreed peace and you still get to stay around boards and add to its worth with your discussions. It'd be sad to see you guys move away. In addition, it's not as if adding a new forum is going to tear society apart. Wanderly Wagon forum anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dub13 wrote:
    I would be interested in what the other forum Mods have to say on this.

Well I think comments like "no-names" and "you're a nobody here, get lost" say it all. From what I know of Repli, he's a competent moderator and seems to be doing a good job here as well. If the SD/MA guys want to have a clique, then their best option is to go off and host their own forum somewhere.

The only PM's I have received were abusive ones from Liam_B calling me an idiot, and Mr. Flibble looking to be unbanned. Got a serious one from Colm_OReilly (the other Self Defence mod) raising issues about my moderating which I addressed, haven't heard anything back from him though.

Personally I would also like input from the existing co-mod Colm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Have any of you considered that maybe Repli informed other Mods or the Admins that he/she would be away for a while and would they mind keeping an eye on the forums he/she moderates....this kind of thing happens all the time.

damien.m wrote:
    1. Repli puts up a poll asking do the users of the forum want him to stay? To be fair in this poll, only people who have posted on the forum before he returned should be allowed to vote. If they vote to have him removed then he should accept it. If he wins the vote, then they accept it, or piss off. :)

That's ridiculous, boards.ie isn't a democracy, as I've said before if the admins want to remove me as a moderator I will respect their decision.

Dub13 wrote:
    Have any of you considered that maybe Repli informed other Mods or the Admins that he/she would be away for a while and would they mind keeping an eye on the forums he/she moderates....this kind of thing happens all the time.

At the time Colm was being appointed moderator, I remember I did explain to the admins/etc in the private forum that I was busy with college.

• Advertisement

Repli wrote:
    You know, I kinda agree with you, but the only 'change' I've seen to the forum is a lot more muppetry and off topic nonsense.. It's not fair to say I brought it on though, unless said people are doing it deliberately to get a rise out of me or have me removed as a moderator. Anyway as I said I respect any decision the admins make regarding this issue.

Its a matter of opinion, i personally think the forum is better off than the early days. I dont mean that in a personal manner, and bear in mind i dont contribute to the forum and theres much in its direction now that i personally dont care for.

However i accept the opinion of the people who IMO count: the posters who regularly post there. They elected the current mod and are happy with its direction and its current mod. There could well be a role for you in MA/SD as a mod as COR is absent for periods but youve gone completely the wrong way about by efectivley showing up as a stranger to all with a bang and making decisions on what the forum needs or doesnt. How anyone can see that as being acceptable e-behaviour is beyond me tbh

as for cliques, well i thought Boards was meant to be a community, it's MA one is small but it's seems to work and wants to continue working. does that make it a clique? Im sure most of its members and the mod would take on board any criticisms and sugggestions that others have to make

Advertisement