Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

05-06 snowy weather indications (part 5)

Options
  • 24-12-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

The other thread was growing pretty quick so I thought part 5 was in order. (Hope that's okay with you Earthman)

Anyway 18Z charts would give a snow-lover depression after earlier on today. It seems that Ireland will not get its fair share just yet:( I'd laugh manically if the ensembles did another u-turn tomorrow:eek:

At least we should have some nice, crisp winter weather next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It would bode well for Irish sea showers.

Especially as sea temps are a healthy 11C all round the island, so if there is unstable air, that is in our favour for showers forming.

BTW links at end of previous threads to next one would be useful.

mothman wrote:
    As for 27th Feb 2001, Very windy cold day. Max 1.8C, min 0.2C with dew point not falling below -1C. Over 10mm precipitation, of which some must have fallen as snow, but melted on impact.
    If I remember correctly, it snowed most of the day here that day but didnt settle untill dark, then it whitened the ground a good bit, but maybe an inch, thats all.
    Certainly a lot less than Dublin.
    I drove up to Bally cogue, just 5 miles away and at 600ft asl approx and the snow was on the road above the wheels of the jeep.
    As for next week, I don't think there be much precipitation, (pressure too high staying above 1020hPa) and with me I'm doubtful of seeing any snow, never mind any settling.

As for -5C 850 temps, arn't 2m temps usually about 10C above th 850 temps, although I know in a high pressure there is often little difference, but then there is no precipitation anyway. The 850 temps over us today are -1C to +1C, so -5C is not much colder.
    My jury is entirely out on this one.
    I kind of am expecting snow.The BBC forecasts tonight seem to have a lot of precipitation coming well inland over the East and south of the UK - so I dont know what that means pressure wise, but I'd have thought it meant they think it will be lower.
    It would bode well for Irish sea showers.
    Very very hard to say at this stage.
    I'm inclined to think aswell that the 850 charts we are all looking at are indicative only and , the air aloft might and certainly possibly should be cold enough for snow especially since the source should almost guarantee low dew points.

Mothman wrote:
    Especially as sea temps are a healthy 11C all round the island, so if there is unstable air, that is in our favour for showers forming.

BTW links at end of previous threads to next one would be useful.

LoL

Do you hear that now "to be confirmed" !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

earthman wrote:

LoL

I heard that "hint" loud and clear:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WoW i cant believe i was so lucky!

But there were blizzards here for like 18 hours! and the electricity went
    for around 48hrs!
    It took a good few hours early that morning to cover those puddles! but it sure
    covered them and so much more!:D
    That was Feb 27th 2001

Onward to the coming week.

Were looking at 3-4 days of cold weather maxima of 1-4c with some
    light showers affecting the east with the possibility of a covering in some
    places;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

00z brings the cold further west..ohh dear..i'm getting very excited now!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by earthman

LoL

I heard that "hint" loud and clear

Earthman, that "hint" was aimed at you :p so don't be passing it on!!! ;)
    as it wasn't "to be confirmed" that locked the thread while I was compiling a reply. :rolleyes:

Well if that cold can become entrenched here, then we could see some action when we get weather from the atlantic, though this "action" is still most likely over Britain rather than here.

mothman wrote:
    Earthman, that "hint" was aimed at you so don't be passing it on!!!
    as it wasn't "to be confirmed" that locked the thread while I was compiling a reply.

Well if that cold can become entrenched here, then we could see some action when we get weather from the atlantic, though this "action" is still most likely over Britain rather than here.
    Heh, I figured you were doing as much. That "hint" will put the moderator in his place, no doubt!:p

Sat Morn 0755z Met Eireann radio forecast.

Mon, Tues dry, uncertain for Wednesday, but possibility of sleet, snow showers for east. Actually , he might have said flurries. Thursday onwards, fronts from atlantic will be trying to push in. It was obviously more detailed than this, but there wasn't anything to perk my ears.

and from website
    3 Day Outlook:
    Turning cold after dark on Christmas day with a sharp to severe frost developing. Some fog will develop too. St Stephens Day will be cold and bright with frost and fog clearing gradually with some sunshine breaking through and it will be a predominantly dry day. It'll become very cold again after dark with frost and fog returning. Cold Tuesday morning also with frost and fog clearing slowly, but a little milder later in the day. It may be breezy on Tuesday but it will again be a mostly dry day although outbreaks of rain may develop in the West towards the end of the day. Wednesday will again be mostly dry if somewhat cloudy.

The 00Z Dublin set of ensemble models show a very clear split as to what the outcome will be on Wednesday. 5 runs say very cold weather and the other 5 runs say cool but not cold enough for snow. The -5 celsius line is key here:
    MT8_Dublin_ens.png

• Advertisement

ActuallyI'd have thought that wasnt a bad ensemble albeit for 2 days only.
    The blue line is the control run by the way and it dives down to -7c for 3 days and thats the one to watch for the 00z.
    Some of the runs are actually colder.

Also remember that this is indicative only-The most important thing to consider I think here is the source of the air and its surface path both of which are very cold.
    Also the UKMO this morning wants to delay those fronts coming in ie prolong the Easterly which will if its the case do 2 things assuming the flow is strong... make it colder and basically get weatherfronts caught up in the Eastern half of the country.
    Now that would be interesting especially for high ground.

Earthman wrote:
    make it colder and basically get weatherfronts caught up in the Eastern half of the country.
    Now that would be interesting especially for high ground.

Indeed, and high ground is only 5 miles away :D

I suppose the 6z should confirm whether we get the cold spell or not.

Im pretty sceptical of those 5 ENS's as all global models now back at
    least a 3-4 day easterly even here.

What i want to find out is that if we have a slack easterly flow

Say 16knots easterly with pressure of 1020mb

Would be be likely to see showers kicked up from the Irish sea?
    They certainly wouldnt penetrate inland much

6z looking better so far:D

Rtavn841.png

Yes high further north within a (allowing for wobbability factors recently) semi reliable 72hr timeframe

That means more wind :)

Hmmm yes -30c 500mb air covering an Eastern slice of Ireland...
    I'll vote for that.

CHILLY:D :D:D:D:D

Rtavn961.png

It isnt that far away from one of those postcard events we use
    to compare things against

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1987/Rrea00119870113.gif

:D

pressure below 1020 too and probably 1015
    Lower still would be nice but the ingredients for an interesting day are there for wenesday , though with the current wobbling of these models, wenesday could change yet for the warmer.

• Advertisement

LoL

I know they arent the most reliable precipitation charts but, this would pepper the East coast with showers and give a good covering...

Rtavn1024.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think its set in stone now, the east coast will see snow showers between the 26th (night) and the 29th (evening) with possibly the mild v cold battle being fought on our shores:D

yep it is looking good!

It's feast or famine:D

We have Christmas and a Siberian Blast all in the space of a day:D

Met Eireann should issue a warning soon i would have thought, they cant ignore it. Personally I reckon their about to be caught out yet agian in an easterly setup.

P.S dont be supprised if 12z is a downgrade as it was a worse run yesterday. 06z has been the most consistent and positive run so thats the one to stick with:D

It does look rather good have to say and couldnt come at a better time, bought myself a spare battery for the camera and a 512mb flash card..I plan on taking LOADS of snaps as spells like this dont happen to often!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Yea but i cant see much in the way of precip to warrant a warning;)

Precip forecasts are well dodgy at this range..wont really know till the night before tbh, that said..a warmish sea plus a ne wind..normally delivers the goods!!

• Advertisement

They did mention light sleet and snow showers in the East on wenesday and thursday on their 755am forecast.
    That would be a complete turn around on what they were forecasting even two days ago and what was reflected and still is in their web site.

But remember its the holiday season...
    The last thing that gets updated is the web site when theres presents to be bought, this is after all Ireland :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement