Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prize Bonds

Options
  • 24-12-2005 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Well i just invested a small amount in prize bonds. I got a receipt stating the amount i invested. Should i actually be getting/have physical bonds or what's the deal??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The bond certificates themselves should be posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Cool. Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't fall for the advertising. Remember that your investment is losing real value every day due to inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Well it's a negligible fall because i havn't invested that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I've had about €500 in prize bonds for the last 4 years or so and I haven't seen a penny. What kind of return are other people getting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Someone has to be winning, but I have yet to here of anyone that I know of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭wba88

me or my brother (bought him some october 04 and got myself some too) havent seen a penny or heard from them since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Well it's a negligible fall because i havn't invested that much
    Regardless of whether you have invested €100 or €1,000,000, the fall as a percentage of your investment is the same - about 3% per annum in recent years.
    Syth wrote:
    I've had about €500 in prize bonds for the last 4 years or so and I haven't seen a penny. What kind of return are other people getting?
    They quote 2.6% average returns on their website, but this figure is very heavily skewed by the very small number of winners to get very large prizes. The typical return is much, much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've won €75 three times on my €600 or so of Prize Bonds. Waiting for the big one :)

Sure wouldn't I just have wasted it on books and CDs otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'd really like to see the results of an independent study into prize bonds returns. (Where a sample of people was taken and their return, in percent, was shown)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

prize bonds are a good gamble but a bad investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I won €75 a while ago on prize bonds, didn't know what was going on when i saw the cheque, didn't have a clue what they were.

Advertisement