Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law on Inert Ammunition?

Options
  • 24-12-2005 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hey
    not strictly shooting i know, but you guys are in this field of expertise. What's the story with buying antique inert grenades, bullets shells etc? Legal or illegal? (not talking about replica or decommissioned guns at all here) or which act should I go to to find out?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Theres a court case pending on this issue at the moment ..! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I'm not suprised. I'm by no means a brillant law student, but in my final year I should be able to interpret legislation, but theres sweet F##k all regarding inert ammo, the only possible reference was repealled by the 1990 act. So it should be grand, however because of the nature of the beast, it falls under the emergency powers which means that well, you may as well flip a coin... because thats a whole different slurry pit. Might give the station a bell, and see if they know anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Welcome to the brilliantly clear firearms laws of Ireland!:rolleyes:
    Very ambigious at best.You will find folks with ex Irish army bofor shells at the fireside with criminal records as long as their arms,and not a bother on them whilst being raided by Irelands finest.Or you will find the most law abideing shooter up before the beak,for having a empty round case that is not on his liscense.Or you can go to the local army surplus shop and buy a whole link of empty 308s and wear them as a belt and not be botherd by the Gardai,and while you are at it buy a few deact pineapple grenades as paperweights.Put your money down and take your chances seems to be the situation here.
    Best bet is make sure it is totally deact.IE that the shell cases have holes drilled thru their sides,the grenades have no working parts in them that could be used to activate them,like the striker spring and that the grenade body has a hole in it to prevent it being re filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Hmm, cheers for your experiences. I might give this idea a miss, at least online anyway.

Advertisement