Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford at Christmas

Options
  • 24-12-2005 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Have to admit I'd be the first to criticise them when something goes wrong but the city is looking very well for the festive season and maybe credit is due to the City Council .
    The lights all around the city and the pedestrianisation really make a difference and add to the whole experience of coming into the city to shop .
    It really shows we are streets ahead of all the other towns around the region and why we are the capital of the South East

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Totaly agree, nice Christmas Music being played to..

Bit disapointed they never completed the new surface around Foot Locker and the rest of Barrond Strant St. Im hoping that the the end of the path is just a temp surface for the Christmas Period, until they start working again.

Taking them ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

The blue lights really made it for me by the Cathedral.
    And yeah, well, they're going great with the resurfacing, all summer the entire place was held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

meldrew wrote:
    Have to admit I'd be the first to criticise them when something goes wrong but the city is looking very well for the festive season and maybe credit is due to the City Council .
    The lights all around the city and the pedestrianisation really make a difference and add to the whole experience of coming into the city to shop .
    It really shows we are streets ahead of all the other towns around the region and why we are the capital of the South East
    Yes you are correct there,but i will say is what use is the traders (and it is the traders that pay for those xmas lights)spending the money and a huge amout of people pis^&*$ of to new york and giving the money to the yanks .
    support the local business ,local jobs,or watch as waterford becomes a waste land of unemployment,am sure a lot of factories in this town are struggling,how many millions does the glass owe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

decies wrote:
    Yes you are correct there,but i will say is what use is the traders (and it is the traders that pay for those xmas lights)spending the money and a huge amout of people pis^&*$ of to new york and giving the money to the yanks .
    support the local business ,local jobs,or watch as waterford becomes a waste land of unemployment,am sure a lot of factories in this town are struggling,how many millions does the glass owe?

So we want the Americans to spend their tourism cash here, but you don't want the Irish spending their cash in the US? It's a global world out there, and Ireland benefits a lot more from interacting with the states than it looses through the odd person christmas shopping in New York.

What are you expecting anyway, that people buy each other tonnes of Waterford crystal and contact lenses just to keep local businesses going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

decies wrote:
    support the local business

sure!!!! as soon as i'm not ripped off anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I thought the city looked pretty cool. The Pedestianisation did make a big difference as it spread out the people so we weren't all like sardines. The shops weren't too busy either on Christmas Eve which was great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

In fairness the town did look well although the tree looked bet up. needs a few more shops though like a hmv and a debenhams an m&s etc.

waterford crystal itself isnt doing too bad the group it belongs to owes millions.the amount of people taking redundancies is unreal. i do some work there now and again and the amount of staff there is almost halved in the past 2 years sad really to see it like this, nobody wants to work there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sully04 wrote:
    Totaly agree, nice Christmas Music being played to..

Bit disapointed they never completed the new surface around Foot Locker and the rest of Barrond Strant St. Im hoping that the the end of the path is just a temp surface for the Christmas Period, until they start working again.

Taking them ages.

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054864387

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cheers Freddie.

I think its time WCC got a complaint about it all, its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Speaking of WCC, my little cousin was riding his bikje home in Ballytruckle from teh park, and the stabilizer fell into a massive hole in the footpath, turning the bike over. The hole was like really deep, someone should get onto them about the state of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

......The hole was like really deep, someone should get onto them about the state of the road.

Not trying to be smart, but since you noticed and it affected you why not complain about it instead of waiting for somebody else too?

Advertisement