Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall Alerts

Options
  • 24-12-2005 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I keep getting these in my email, they are coming from my firewall. I have never seen them before untill a couple of days ago.

This is an example:

NETGEAR *Security Alert* [0C:0E:24]
    2005-12-23 11:01:21 - TearDrop - Source:84.175.104.218,0,WAN - Destination:83.70.231.**,**,LAN

I am getting about four of these a day having never had any previously even though i'm usding this firewall for the last 3 years.

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks
    Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

TearDrop is a DDOS attack. I don't use Netgear stuff, but I presume this message is to notify you that the attack has been detected and dealt with. The source address belongs to Deutsche Telekom, and if you're sufficiently concerned, you can report the attack to them here. It's probably some innocent Joe Bloggs (or whatever he's called in Germany) with an unprotected Windoze box connected directly to the net - generally, the f£%$*&s who start this kind of crap know how to keep themselves anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Turn off email alerts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Thanks guys for the advice.
    @Tim, I have always had them on and had never seen alerts like this before,
    But they seem to have stopped now in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Redshift wrote:
    Thanks guys for the advice.
    @Tim, I have always had them on and had never seen alerts like this before,
    But they seem to have stopped now in any case.

Can you be sure you're router hasn't been compromised? And can you conf it to ignore those types of attack?

Advertisement