Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freakiest ads ever

• 24-12-2005 4:43am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Whatever about your favourite ads of all time, what about the ones that disturbed or unnerved you the most?

I'd have to say that the Reisen ads kind of put me off (you know the one where the guy has a huge distorted face), I wasn't horribly scarred or anything, but lets just say I left the experience more confused than I was before it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I think the ads for the League of Gentlemens 'Apocalypse' freaked me out the most, I'm bloody terrified of the minstrel in that show... :eek:

I also think that Carlsberg ad where the guy asks to use the old womans phone and he falls down a pit in her house is too dark, it doesn't want to make me drink Carlsberg, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The ad where the fella is being chased down the street by a blob shouting "Bellys gonna get you!"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

That drink driving ad with the Fleetwood Mac song , its the song more than anything that freaks me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The PS2 ad from a few years back with yer wan with the distorted face.

The current DD ad campaign is pretty disturbing too...but then it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I'm gonna say the ad for Tango about ten years ago. There is a guy playin football and he gets tackled by an orange giant with fuzzy hair and a squeeky voice, then he turns around and there is no one there except a little girl in the stand who turns out to be a witch. Ray Wilkins dead pan voice doen't help either. Freaked me out big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Those rspca ads with like the dead kittens and stuff are disturbing and they always seem to be on the music channels.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wertz wrote:
    The PS2 ad from a few years back with yer wan with the distorted face.

The current DD ad campaign is pretty disturbing too...but then it's supposed to be.
    Do you mean this charachter? A bit messed up alright! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

remember that ad for that "Metz" schnapps i think it was. this Jack Frost character running around. some sort of puppet comes to life thing. thought that was pretty weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

hoody wrote:
    remember that ad for that "Metz" schnapps i think it was. this Jack Frost character running around. some sort of puppet comes to life thing. thought that was pretty weird!

The judder-man from the ritz ads !! That guys my hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

That one where the doctor said "The boy you hit.. is dead.. dead.. dead"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Remember that game "Alice" the twisted alice and wonderland game
    all those ads scared me sooo much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

ad? dont think any have really freaked me that much! maybe when i was a kid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 polkadots

meldrew wrote:
    That drink driving ad with the Fleetwood Mac song , its the song more than anything that freaks me out
    Is that the "Just one look, that's all it took" song?
    If so, that ad REALLY freaks me out!!
    I think that the drink driving ads in general are very creepy though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

i dont know if anyone remembers the ad for airwaves chewing gum? with the guy who vomits up the hairy dog? that was sick...i believe it was eventually pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

no, i never saw that one! the carlsberg ad was creepy and upsetting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

It was a bit before my time... but I've always loved it... more disturbingly weird than freaky...

The one with "and Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you", "you could fry an egg, if you had an egg"...

Classic... it's for Harp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

byte wrote:
    Do you mean this charachter? A bit messed up alright! :)

ARRGGGHHH!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

TT&TO wrote:
    i dont know if anyone remembers the ad for airwaves chewing gum? with the guy who vomits up the hairy dog? that was sick...i believe it was eventually pulled.

Yeah, that was pretty freaky alright, it was pulled pretty quickly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I don't know what the name of the product from this freaky ad is. It's basically a non-sugar lolipop. An older man in an icecream van sells a boy this lolipop. It's horribly dubbed and I would imagine this is what an ad for a surreptitiously poisoned lolipop would look like.

I hate the ads with the little talking germs, though they're more disgusting than freaky

the one for the giant nose running around the place is pretty bad though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I hate that germ ad. Apparently loads of kids were traumatised by it, can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

that ad for the toenail fungus stuff where you see the toenail lifiting up and the little germ guy underneath!!? :shudder:

tk123 wrote:
    that ad for the toenail fungus stuff where you see the toenail lifiting up and the little germ guy underneath!!? :shudder:
    Yeah I have to look away when it comes on, or better, change channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

There was an ad years ago when i was a nipper about keeping your dog locked up at night. This particular dog was left out by his owner and went on the prowl through the night with a pack of others. They came across a field full of sheep and massacred the poor feckers (blood everywhere etc). The dog came home looking as innocent as ever. Freaked me out how the dog changed from a nice loyal canine to a vicious drooling one with huge teeth. It was animated too, which made it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

oh i remember that one!!! Another one that freaks me out is the one abt smoking and they squeeze goo out of an artery or something!! pukey-mcpuke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

There used to be an advert in the 1970s for Krona margarine. I was quite young at the time but I can recall an old man standing on an Australian beach packed with bikini clad beauties. He would then say "and it was in a place like this that a rumour spread about a margarine - it's taste was so good" or something to that effect. Thought it was weird at the time. Anyone else remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've never seen an ad that's made me look away or become freaked out.

The only one that will make me change channel is the lacoste one with the naked dude. No-one wants to see that ****.

Advertisement