Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tabs being banned

• 24-12-2005 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

i was trawling through the interweb for tabs and i noticed the site i normally used (mxtabs.net) was down, i wisited another site and found this link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

whats the opinions of those here, and where can you get a good selection of tabs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

They'll never stop the internet. It takes too long to pass these "internet copyright" type laws, and by then people have moved on to somethign new and improved. By the time they nailed Napster, there was Limewire, Soulseek, Bearshare, and dozens of others....now torrents are the new thing, and they rule even more than Napster!
    They're tying their own feet together with their own red tape! (Ha - I like that one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This has been discussed already here.

Oh, and if you think tabs being banned is crazy, have a stiff drink in your hand before you read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

this is fux0ring ridiculous. in protest, we should just download our music, and becoming incredible guitarist through the downloading of tabulature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

This has been discussed already here.

Oh, and if you think tabs being banned is crazy, have a stiff drink in your hand before you read this.
    Why doesn't he just say that people don't pay copyrighted music when they try out the instruments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

... have a stiff drink in your hand before you read this.

Said stiff drink shot out through my nostrils upon reading! That has to be a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What next? Sue boards users who use names similar to musican names???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

That's madness:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Thats completely ridiculous. Surely it wont happen....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

faceman wrote:
    What next? Sue boards users who use names similar to musican names???

Not yet, but I can imagine that any users with song lyrics in their sigs better think fast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

And they wonder why downloading has become so popular...

Music these days has no soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Same ****e with the radio. id tel em to fcuk off with themselves. None if their buisiness whether the customer plays the feckin spice girls on the instruments. If anything the music store guy should get paid everytime someone plays a copyrighted song for advertising the song in the first place. Dirty scheming money grabbing bastards the lot of them.

I hope they die a horrible disturbing death.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wow.

To *both* stories. Unbelievable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh dear, oh dear....

save us from ourselves osama!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ive heard the first one before in the other forum, but banning people from playing known riffs? Stairway and Nothing Else Matters, fair nuff, but ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ridiculous:mad:

Surely a sequence of tabs can't be copyrighted? Why not just copyright every note then? What if you were playing just 2 chords from a song, are you breaching copyright laws of every song in the world that has them two chords in sequence or does it depend on how well you play them and how similar they sound to the original? What a load of bollocology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I think you've misunderstood the terms of that article a bit. The law isn't about playing copyrighted music on the shops instruments.
    It's about them playing musical instruments in a public building, which infringes the laws regarding public performance/entertainment licences, like they have in pubs. He's basically being accused of putting on Live entertainment without a licence.

But yeah, it is a complete load of pants. I reckon this kind of nit-picking could cause a rebellion if it keeps going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah I was kind of referring to both articles in what I said there not just the shop but having to pay to perform is terrible. Freedom of speech through music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

this is fux0ring ridiculous. in protest, we should just download our music, and becoming incredible guitarist through the downloading of tabulature!
    That's the right idea I think. For every crazy step they take, I'll buy one less album and download it instead*

*Legal Disclaimer: Only joking, that would be illegal and therefore I would never do it :v:

Just bare in mind, if you don't buy the music you love, the music you love will die.
    However, this does not apply to the Top 20 charts. They're doing well enough without your support, not that any of it's worth buying anyway. :)

Oeneus wrote:
    Just bare in mind, if you don't buy the music you love, the music you love will die.

This is not true. Although the music I love will eventually die of course, so technically it is true.

• Advertisement

Oeneus wrote:

While I agree in theory, I really don't think that kind of morality extends to tabs, because lets face it, it's really only very big name bands that do have tab books published. So while I've seen Metallica has such products published, I've never gone into a music store and seen similar books for the likes of Death or Opeth. So many such tabs aren't a copy of an already published tab that is being made free, like most mp3s, but rather a musician's interpretation which is a very different thing altogether, and something that generally doesn't overlap with an already published tab book.

I think the ultimate gratification for a musician is that someone else would want to play your music, and I've seen many band websites where thay have user submitted tabs hosted, one such being the official Emperor website. I can imagine that a lot of bands will eventually host tabs themselves, thus making things perfectly legal, and quite possibly some record labels aswell might host them, in the same way that they host mp3s of the bands they represent.

I think this is a step way too far on the behalf of the music authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

this is a ****ing joke

edit:

whoops, only read about the lyrics now.

While I agree in theory, I really don't think that kind of morality extends to tabs, because lets face it, it's really only very big name bands that do have tab books published. So while I've seen Metallica has such products published, I've never gone into a music store and seen similar books for the likes of Death or Opeth. So many such tabs aren't a copy of an already published tab that is being made free, like most mp3s, but rather a musician's interpretation which is a very different thing altogether, and something that generally doesn't overlap with an already published tab book...

Agreed. but I was more refering to the folks that say they will refuse to buy albums and download them instead, not tab books.

Oeneus wrote:
    Agreed. but I was more refering to the folks that say they will refuse to buy albums and download them instead, not tab books.

Oh in that case, agreed. Those folks are out of line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Oh in that case, agreed. Those folks are out of line.

Definately, in the words of Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth Guitarist, on the topic of downloads/copying cds)
    ...and for the people that feel like that they deserve some kind of handout, all I can say is, fcuk you! I worked for this shít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this is crap tbh. i have bought a few tab books and they have not been entirely accruate. while i have used powertabs.net plenty of times and the program plays it out so you can hear how correct it is. i can understand them cracking down on mp3 downloads or trying to at least but helping people learn an instrument? pschhh load o bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

Well if worst comes to worst and this tab ban goes through at least it'll encourage people to get off their asses and figure songs out by ear. I know it's something I should have started doing long before I did. I don't know what to say about the other thing though:v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Ah for the love of....

No more wandering around town trying out different shizzle.

Oh that's nasty [to be said in a Cleaveland from FG voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

How about a boycott of tab books

• Advertisement

How about a boycott of tab books

Waaaaay ahead of you.

Advertisement