Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Higher Level Maths Revision Seminar

• 24-12-2005 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My maths teacher gave me a leaflet about a Maths Revision Seminar that's taking place in March on two saturdays.

Saturday 4th March 2006- Paper 1

09.00-09.30 Registration
    09.30-10.30 Algebra 1
    11.00-12.00 Functions/Graphs
    12.00-13.30 Lunch
    13.30-14.30 Algebra 2
    14.45-15.45 Sets, Indices, Arithmetic

Saturday 11th March 2006- Paper 2

09.00-09.30 Registration
    09.30-10.30 The Line
    11.00-12.00 Geometry
    12.00-13.30 Lunch
    13.30-14.30 Trigonometry
    14.45-15.45 Area and Volume

Cost: €60 euro per student (this covers all eight lectures abd a seminar booklet each day) Write to: George Humphrey, 9 Kincora Drive, Clontarf, Dublin 3 or Phone 01-8335906 or 0879787380

Cheques etc. are to be made payable to Brendan Guildea

A Stamped Self Addresses Envelope should be included with the Cheque so that tickets can be forwarded on to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Sounds like a cool idea.

And heh, I looked at it and went "What?! We never learned this 'registration' thing!". Yes. Talented. Is what I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

*slow claps*

Really, REALLY slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

The line???? Whats that? Is it like the equation and slope and all that, or am I gonna fail because of not knowing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Yes its the equation of a line and the slope etc. Its called coordinate geometry of the line.

"The Line" is one particular line you study for Junior Cert. It's a unique line in that it's 3D, you must learn all of its properties as well as the formulas (they're REALLY long) to find its volume and area too.

• Advertisement

Stop misleading people, Piste!

The line is 4D.*

*is not true. OR IS IT?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I would do it because im going to end up failing maths but I've just started grunds and doubt my ma would pay for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Piste wrote:
    "The Line" is one particular line you study for Junior Cert. It's a unique line in that it's 3D, you must learn all of its properties as well as the formulas (they're REALLY long) to find its volume and area too.
    Boooo urns. Not fair.

3D lines do exist in the form of 2x+3y+4z=5, but they aren't even on the LC, I don't think. However lines don't have areas or volumes, you would need 2 or more lines for that.

If it's 3D wouldn't it HAVE TO (by law like) have a volume, if not an area?

Piste wrote:
    If it's 3D wouldn't it HAVE TO (by law like) have a volume, if not an area?
    A fine point here but not necessarily. Imagine a twisty drinking straw. Now imagine a really really thin one, so thin that it is 0mm (i.e. nothing) across. Its a 3D object, but has no volume.

I have to admit I haven't studied 3D lines, but I suppose these people could help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=380

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

oooh you have chuckie piste? I had him for LC last year. I also went to the seminar in question when i was not doing so well in the junior cert. It was very helpful, I advise people who are struggling to go to this.

Chuckie? Whonow?

Piste Confused, self destruct in 5...4...3...2...1

*KABOOM*

Victor: If you put said drinking straw into a full container of water you'd displace *some* water, and therefore it's have volume.

Tee hee hee
    Piste wrote:
    Victor: If you put said drinking straw into a full container of water you'd displace *some* water, and therefore it's have volume.
    Remember this is a really really thin straw, not so much a straw as a really, really thin wire that has no width....

Remember

volume = length x width x height
    width = 0
    => volume = 0

BY LAW!!!!! ;)

[edit] you can have lines with volumes, but we call these tubes, cylinders, pipes, cuboids, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

chuckie is brenden guildea the guy the cheque is made payable, i only realised after i posted that george humphrey's name was there too, so that's your teacher, nevermind :)

Ah, but a 3D line with no width surely couldn't exist in a 3D world?
    While existing in three dimensions, it's impossible to create something which is missing one of them. I mean, you can create representations in the form of a line on a page, but even that supposedly 2d line has three dimensions, really.

So, you can draw a 3d line in the respect that it's a 2d shape moving through three dimensions, but it can't exist truly.

I most likely make little sense. And this is why I will never be a good teacher.

Revision? For the JC? =/

Yes, that's a wonderful observation there.
    This thread IS about Revision, and it IS in the Junior Cert forum.

If you're about to make some crack about "OH EM GEE YOU DON'T STUDY FOR THE JC WHY DON'T YOU TRY DOING SOME REAL EXAMS", then, just... don't. We've heard it before. If you think you've got a valid argument and you want to debate it, or something, start a new thread.=)

While existing in three dimensions, it's impossible to create something which is missing one of them. I mean, you can create representations in the form of a line on a page, but even that supposedly 2d line has three dimensions, really.
    Remember that line on the page is merely a representation of the line, it isn't the actual line.

Now stop arguing, go to the Gulf of Guinea and find the equator (pictures required). :p;)

The Equator's a Lion, not a line, why do you think it runs through Africa and all those hot countries?

Yeah like PFM said, if The Line is missing two dimensions it can't exist in a 3D world, it's ompossible to have a 3D shape with two of the values as 0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I was given that! Sure is a long time but at least we get a long lunch!!

Advertisement