Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringe inducing politicians

Options
  • 24-12-2005 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of fun at xmas, which politicians really make you cringe for whatever reason :)
    (let's restrict it to politicians on the island of Ireland pleeeeasse)

I'm gonna pick;
    Bertie Ahern because he's just not statesmanlike to start, closely followed by Olivia Mitchell because she hasn't the first idea about her brief (transport). Any Takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Bertie is clearly near top of tree (the one he was up and down when seeking Liam Lawlors misdeeds!) but special mention has to go to Willie O'Dea for that moment and that moustache! Jackie Healy Rea does my head in but I suspect anyone not from Kerry cringes when he sets forth on a subject.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I nominate Tom Parlon for his resourceful interpretations of the truth and his artless evasion of hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Joan Burton - just because she has the most annoying voice
    Michael D - self-explanatory really
    Caoimhín Ó Caoláin - Sounds very pompous
    Michael McDowell - Thinks he knows it all, paranoid about Sinn Fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It would have to Bertie especially when he attempted to get of explaining the Ivor Calley saga in the Dail by labelling the TD's questioning him about a ''disgrace.'' Unreal but great entertainment on the other hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

murphaph wrote:
    (let's restrict it to politicians on the island of Ireland pleeeeasse)

NOT FAIR. DISCRIMINATION. BIAS.

There are sooooo many politico's world-wide who are being denied their right to a fair and just pillioring (God I love making up words).

Nox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Fiona o'Malley murdering 'wuthering heights' on the tubridy show, good god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Mary Harney, she is an advert for Ireland's obesity crisis :v: :v: I would also nominate Willy O'Dea, hrrrr i'll shoot with my gun, is that a wabbit :v: :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

mike65 wrote:
    Well Bertie is clearly near top of tree (the one he was up and down when seeking Liam Lawlors misdeeds!)

Was it not Dermot Ahern who was sent up every tree in north Co Dublin looking for incriminating evidence on Ray Burke?

I also nominate Bertie especially since he expressed (in writing) the "sympaties" of the Irish "Goverment" on the death of George Best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You may be right, I try to forget such traumas!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

netwhizkid wrote:
    Mary Harney, she is an advert for Ireland's obesity crisis QUOTE]

Dont you love it, a minister for health who's obese!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

....aye, and not just the regular kind, the morbid one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

I just know theres a connection in there somewhere......

news2,030807.jpg

richie%20kavanagh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think Michell McLoughlin deserves mention. The question and answers programme where the cold blooded murder of Jean McConville was discussed was telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nox wrote:
    NOT FAIR. DISCRIMINATION. BIAS.

There are sooooo many politico's world-wide who are being denied their right to a fair and just pillioring (God I love making up words).

Nox
    Ok Nox, I'm going to bow to the pressure from across the Atlantic (how many European governments, including our own, have done that lately :D ) and allow the thread to include non-island of Ireland politicians for those who wish to nominate them. I can safely predict the 1st one we'll get :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Enda Kenny...

He that must Grimace a fake smile after everything he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

murphaph wrote:
    I can safely predict the 1st one we'll get :)

And the weiner is Bubba Clinton for his idiotic assessment of the global terrorism threat.

Guess I don't need to remind everyone about the cruise missle attack on the tent or the Sudanese Aspirin Factory.

Nox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Not to mention ruining the democratic party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Conor Lenihan - This may be a small generalisation, but he's easily the stupidist man in the country bar none. "Kebabs"? Falling asleep before an interview? Merciful hour...

Mary Harney - As someone said earlier regarding her health profile, who in the name of god is she to lecture people on health??? That and she speaks in a boring monotone repeatedly peppered with meaningless statistics.

Joan Burton - Anybody hear her critique of the budget and her supposed-quip about Baked Alaska, I'd say she worked through the night to come up with that one.

Enda Kenny - Comments about hungry children in Mahon and Knocknaheeny, perhaps it would be nice if Fine Gael ever made an appearance in those areas for a change.

Ollie Wilkinson - Thick as a sack of hammers. Nuff said.

Gay Mitchell - Annoys the f*ck out of me.

On a positive note, Luke Flanagan is an excellent local councillor, as well as a very witty and personable man who actually knows about what he is supposed to represent. Plus he was funny as balls on Neelo the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yup - the question is which of our politicians isn't cringe-inducing. This group is certainly quite a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ray Burke - My wife met him in 1991 and she confirmed to me that he was an absolute twat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Ray Burke - My wife met him in 1991 and she confirmed to me that he was an absolute twat

I met him a few times in social situations and found him very affable even though I wouldn't have been a supporter of his.

Before I'd let my wife make up my mind...

Enda Kenny. If he ever becomes Taoiseach, how long before the international press pounce on THAT racist joke, no matter what company it was said in, whether he was repeating it, whether he thought it was good clean fun or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sometimes the other half is a better judge of character and in thjis case she was 100% correct. She was working as a hair stylist in Swords when Burke waltzed in demanding to be seen there and then and being a totally obnoxious arrogant twat. How true her first impression of Ray Burke turned out to be.

Met him a couple of times and wasn't particularly struck by him either way. Certainly not the brightest button and not the friendliest, but I've met plenty worse...

Wouldn't let it be known that the wife was responsible for his hairstyle though!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Bertie and Enda certainly i cannot stand either of these men but the most cringe inducing of all has to be mickey martin what a stupid man. His responce to every issue is to have a conclusive report drawn up on the matter, after this momentous waste of time the report is than filed away and whatever the report recommends, he does he opposite. On top of that i think he is the most patronising of the lot of them, he speaks to every one like there a child who comes to him for friendly advice, this is not how i want to be addressed when watching the press conference on the news!

Advertisement