Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't tune in channels on new TV ?

Options
  • 24-12-2005 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a Logik L20TD100 20" TV/DVD Combo from Currys in Blanchardstown. I can only seem to detect and tune in TV3/RTE1/RTE2/TG4/E4 on it.

I only have the "basic" NTL... TV3/BBC1/DIS/CH4/RTE1/UTV/RTE2/BBC2/E4/SKYONE/MTV/SKYNEWS being the channels.

How come I can't get the rest of the ones listed above?

Is it because Currys have sold me a UK TV which won't work on our Irish System? Or am I missing some option somewhere? All I can see in the manual of relevence is:
    Recieving Channels: UHF: 21-69
    Aerial Input: UHF 75 OHM unbalanced

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ciaranfo wrote:
    I just bought a Logik L20TD100 20" TV/DVD Combo from Currys in Blanchardstown. I can only seem to detect and tune in TV3/RTE1/RTE2/TG4/E4 on it.

I only have the "basic" NTL... TV3/BBC1/DIS/CH4/RTE1/UTV/RTE2/BBC2/E4/SKYONE/MTV/SKYNEWS being the channels.

How come I can't get the rest of the ones listed above?

Is it because Currys have sold me a UK TV which won't work on our Irish System? Or am I missing some option somewhere? All I can see in the manual of relevence is:
    Recieving Channels: UHF: 21-69
    Aerial Input: UHF 75 OHM unbalanced

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Theres your problem, it'll only recieve channels on UHF. Your area must have a fair few of the channels on VHF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So is this my problem or Currys problem? I'd have thought that a TV bought in an Irish shop should be suitable for the most widespread Irish Network ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

90%+ of tvs receive UHF AND VHF ... me thinks you need to read the manual a bit more. Should be an option to switch to VHS

On NTL basic i think ALL channels are on VHF and the ones on UHF can be found in better quality on the VHF band.

And if not **** it back to Currys and give out about the piece of poo they are selling.

I can't seem to find this option. I gave the model in the hopes some one else might have more luck....

Thanks for the help!

It also seems to work with an old "televerter" from an old English TV, and it seems to pick up some of the missing channels, but with poor reception (it's old!).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i know ntl freq. run from 42mhz (i think) to before 700mhz, thats off the top of my head so im not to sure.
    but if it only says chnls 21-69 their UHF so your not going to get VHF on it.

VHF tv freq in the uk is used for their digital radio

• Advertisement

So why in gods name are Currys selling this then? It's not fit for the Irish market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ciaranfo wrote:
    So why in gods name are Currys selling this then? It's not fit for the Irish market ?

I would imagine thatit got mixed up in their warehouses in the uk.I should'nt think there would be any problem exchanging it.

I hope so .... anybody know if they're open Stephens Day / Monday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Though not ideal you could always use an external tuner. These range from a dedicated HTPC with a tuner card, through custom external tuner boxes designed to allow TV on monitors.

Even an old VCR will normally act as a tuner.

As the TV was bought for a bedroom, and the combo was bought so that it would be as compact as possible ... I don't find using a VCR or adapter suitable or acceptable. I will be calling back to Currys tomorrow if they're open, if not it will be the next day.

• Advertisement

Well, Currys still insisted it should work when I brought it back but had no time to test it. They also didn't seem too interested in maintaining my custom. I took my refund and found Power City to be a better choice.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aye you were right in getting rid of it. If the manual said it only covered Ch21-69 then it's UHF only, and, as somebody else mentioned, it must've been added to their stock by accident.

A lot of TV's apparently are now hyperband, covering all freqs, but can be modified to be UHF-only for UK market (can be cheaper ot modify in a secret system settings menu than to make a seperate UHFonly tuner).

They kept insisting it works fine and that they've had no complaints. Persistance paid off and eventually he confessed to not knowing what he was talking about. All in all a terrible experience in customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ciaranfo wrote:
    Phew! I was going to buy one of those in Blanch just before Xmas.

...but I was in a ratty mood and got bored waiting around for several of the sales-gimps to show an interest so I walked.

This sounds like a TV only fit for the UK. It really irritates me when you go to some of the UK-owned multiples like PC-World (owned by Curries btw) and they have products only usable in the UK on-sale, such as DAB and Digital TV tuners and surge-protectors that use that weirdo BT phone connection. Why do they bother taking up shelf space with such unusable crap?

@DublinWriter
    Because most people who buy them don't bother to bring them back or complain.

I went for a 21" TV/DVD made by Walker in Power City .... walked up to one of the lads, told him what I wanted ... he gave me a ticket, I paid, had it brought over to me a few mins later. Cost me 219euro - so far so good :)

i personally dont like the way the reps in currys have a perception that every customer is stupid.
    One today tried to convience me that the phillips dvd recorder on sale will do HD-DVD when it comes out, and i didnt even ask about HD, he must of being trying to get that hard sell. :D
    That was enough for me to walk out.
    Currys...yes no worries, i wont be going back.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't see how you perceived that as poor service. Unless the device didn't actually have the capacity to run HD-DVD.

I gotta agree with byte.... he was giving you EXTRA information .... that would make me stay a little longer to be honest.

byte wrote:
    I don't see how you perceived that as poor service. Unless the device didn't actually have the capacity to run HD-DVD.

This is the point, the device didnt have the ability to play HD-DVD, (we already have the same model bought last year, i was just checking the price)

But more to my point is that the guy was giving me false information on something that i already know well about, in a bid to sell it off to me, and obviously knowing that HD-DVD wont be over here for a while yet, he knew i wouldnt be in anytime soon to complain.
    My only question is i wonder how many he got with this aswell
    As in par what the OP was saying that, they mislead you on products, and when your right they have no interest.

This is why i wont deal with currys anymore. My friend was told by them that PMPO wattage in music power was more powerfull that RMS music power.
    Ask anybody who knows their music and they would laugh at that :D

Fair enough - curse them then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sparky-s wrote:
    But more to my point is that the guy was giving me false information on something that i already know well about, in a bid to sell it off to me . . .

Reminds me how a Dixons (same group) rep was trying to sell a Plasma screen by declaring it would display HD beautifully when it came out here . . . it had a diaplay resolution of 640 x 480 !!!
    My friend was told by them that PMPO wattage in music power was more powerfull that RMS music power. Ask anybody who knows their music and they would laugh at that :D

I always grin when I see PC speakers declaring 200 WATTS PMPO with only a 2" 0.5 Watt driver !! PMPO - Peak Maximum Power Output is a theoretical maximum power of an amplifier that can never be reached in practice but it makes for nice reading !

Am I the only one who goes into these stores just to listen to the salesmen waffle !!

I bought an iPod in Dixons Blanchardstown a while ago and spent 20 mins trying to convince the saleswoman that the only one they had left would work with a Mac ! She tried to convince me that the Mac didn't have Firewire and she had no USB ones left because that's all the Mac had !! Of course I agreed with her and said I would take the risk once she told me it was going to cost me 369 for the 40GB - usual price at the time was 429.

Didn't Dixons also sell someone here a DB TV PCI Card a while back ??

Can't find that Logik model anywhere on the 'net, must be exclusive to Dixons/Currys - it's not even on their .co.uk sites !!

ZEN

Advertisement