Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Upgrade SP1 to SP2 query???

• 24-12-2005 10:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive got XP SP1 installed, it wasnt mine, so i bought the legit copy of XP2 OEM.

I registered my SP1 version of XP using the product key code of my legit XP SP2. So officially im legally an owner now....

Can you help? I dont want to uninstall and reinstall to get upgraded to SP2, is it possible to do an update off the OEM cd from SP1 to SP2 or do i need to download the update off the internet???

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Best thing to do is download service pack to from the internet

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

You might be able to order CD from site for free or get a friend to download it for you

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I got SP2 from Microsoft for nothing, but I dont know if that is still on, it was ages ago.

You can 'upgrade' windows, go through the same process as installing but when the setup detects your current windows system, make it upgrade isntead of reformatting the whole system.

Its too late for me to begin remembering all the steps, but if you've installed windows XP before you should be used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Download it,
    or order it.
    Failing the above, PM me and I'll send a CD..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

dumping a copy of SP2 on top of SP1 is asking for big trouble.

do a clean install of XP with SP2 slipstreamed in or do not do it
    at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I cant check because I use a slipstreamed copy of XP, but is there a folder or something with the sp2 update not somewhere on the cd, maybe in the valueadd folder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Well,removing additional hardware, and then installing a clean XP install, followed immediately by a SP2 update should be OK..

[I'd do it anyway if the previous version of XP was not legit. (As you may not have been downloading Windows Updates for a while..)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

jetsonx wrote:
    dumping a copy of SP2 on top of SP1 is asking for big trouble.

do a clean install of XP with SP2 slipstreamed in or do not do it
    at all.

Huh? How is that not the most common scenario that could happen - I don't see what the issue here is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

dumping a copy of SP2 on top of SP1 is asking for big trouble
    If your SP1 installation is "dirty" with either corruption or malware on board you are asking for trouble. If it is clean then there should be no problem with adding SP2. A clean reinstallation is always the best method of avoiding glitches though it does mean everything has to be reinstalled and that is not always a small matter for some.

If in doubt before any major upgrade make an image backup of your system to CD/DVD or onto another partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

upgraded about 20 machines from sp1 to sp2, only 1 had to be rebuilt

try it and sure so what if you have to re-build, you have the full xp with sp2 slipstremed to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd do a clean install with your legitimate copy tbh, it can't be anything else than a minor inconvenience to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement