Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fish thing on back of cars

Options
  • 25-12-2005 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hey guys did a quick search and didn't find anything.
    Does anyone know what that fish thing on the back of some cars is?
    I've seen loads of them around, but i've no idea what it stands for.

It looks like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=21262&d=1135466344

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I think it's symbolic of Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

'Tis a symbol of christianity. Trying to convert tailgaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks guys, that was quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

No probs. Nice drawing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stewth! I have'nt knowingly spotted one, now they'll be all over the place!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

What about the silhouette of a Spanish type bull which I see on an increasing number of vehicles especially 4x4s? A colleague at work told me that they give them out when you bring your vehicle to Catalonia. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yep Jesus symbol alright, they're very popular in the states but I've only seen them here the last month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

From what I've seen its the remains of the two-sided glue attaching a badge to the back of the car, if you look closely you can see a rough edge on the remains of the tape which I would think would prove that the badge was prised off the car. I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Yes Ive seen loads of those bull symbols

but Ive also spotted these symbols

One has BZH? what does that stand for?
    The other is a large C on a yellow background with about 6 red lines I think
    over the C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

G Luxel wrote:
    BZH? what does that stand for?
    Cars from Brittany in France have this (its a bit like the old CONNamara stickers they used have in Galway)

As for the weird 'C' I have no idea but I've seen them about.

The silly fish thingy is a Christianity symbol and comes in various styles but means that the driver of the car loves his neighbour but nails his heroes to a cross.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

It's called the Jesusfish, and often has WWKD next to it/inside it (what would Jesus do), my brother has both of these on his car..

A funny/sacriliregious take on the Jesusfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

PaulKK wrote:
    Hey guys did a quick search and didn't find anything.
    Does anyone know what that fish thing on the back of some cars is?
    I've seen loads of them around, but i've no idea what it stands for.

It looks like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=21262&d=1135466344

Does that not belong to one of those makey up religions from Utah Mormons or Jesus an his scientist friends or born agains.The ones that bang on your door on a Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Litcagral wrote:
    What about the silhouette of a Spanish type bull which I see on an increasing number of vehicles especially 4x4s? A colleague at work told me that they give them out when you bring your vehicle to Catalonia. Any ideas?
    Ive seen them too thought it was a dealership thing I know someone with one I'll ask if knowone here knows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

BZH = Breizh, the Breton for Brittany/Bretagne.
    The C on the yellow/red striped background is for Catalunya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It's called the Jesusfish, and often has WWKD next to it/inside it (what would Jesus do), my brother has both of these on his car..

WWKD???
    What would Kevin do?

Ah, the Typo Troll

Yeah, J not K.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The jesus fish thing seems most popular with born again christians. There's a few families of them around here, and every one of them has one on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Litcagral wrote:

Anti Bullfighting symbol. Big devide in the population in Catalonia. 63% want it banned.

Ok, my brother the M.Div says it's officially called the Ichtus Fish (which is pretty much 'Christ Fish').
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_symb.htm
    Was wondering about that bull thing, has thought it was endorsing bullfighting. Pretty messed up that europeans still do that in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

on the topic of stickers, I used to remember seeing a lot of IRL stickers with
    a green E after it. Where could i obtain one of them?

In France, there is a map of france sticker with F written on it? Was there ever an Irish version with the Map of ireland printed on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Malafus wrote:
    'Tis a symbol of christianity. Trying to convert tailgaters.

That only works if the tailgaters know what the fish means.

Dermot

Advertisement