Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with broadband and extension line

• 25-12-2005 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hey lads, first off happy christmas to you all!

ive been tryna setup eircom broadband here (with a wireless gateway). basically my problem is this.. the phone line im usin is actually an extension of the office phone where the drop point is. usually, to get online here via dialup you have to dial 9 to get an outside line/dial tone.. as dsl is an 'always on' connection i havent found a way around this. my brother called tech support and one of the peeps there said that we needed a hunter connection of sorts? whatever that is. after calling again and speaking to another person,he said we shouldnt need anything and just to remove the house extension from the connection box in the office and to connect directly to the main line. sorry i know thats vague,all this info is secondhand to me! i imagine the actual setup is something like this.. you have the office at point A where the broadband drop point is, this then connects to point B, a central switch box of sorts where other lines on the premises are connected and this then leads to point C, the house where im trying to connect from.

have any of you any ideas that could help? i dont want to call out an engineer and fork out 200 bucks or whatever it is todo a 10minute job!!

cheers and enjoy the beer

Comments

13 wrote:
    hey lads, first off happy christmas to you all!

ive been tryna setup eircom broadband here (with a wireless gateway). basically my problem is this.. the phone line im usin is actually an extension of the office phone where the drop point is. usually, to get online here via dialup you have to dial 9 to get an outside line/dial tone.. as dsl is an 'always on' connection i havent found a way around this. my brother called tech support and one of the peeps there said that we needed a hunter connection of sorts? whatever that is. after calling again and speaking to another person,he said we shouldnt need anything and just to remove the house extension from the connection box in the office and to connect directly to the main line. sorry i know thats vague,all this info is secondhand to me! i imagine the actual setup is something like this.. you have the office at point A where the broadband drop point is, this then connects to point B, a central switch box of sorts where other lines on the premises are connected and this then leads to point C, the house where im trying to connect from.

have any of you any ideas that could help? i dont want to call out an engineer and fork out 200 bucks or whatever it is todo a 10minute job!!

cheers and enjoy the beer
    Is it possible that your extension line at your home is much further away from the exchange than the office?
    Does the modem even synch up? ie does the green synch light come on after a few minutes? If it does then your problem is just a set up issue on the pc.

Moving this to the main boards.ie broadband forum as its eircom and you are likely to get more answers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 IDUBasher

You'll prolly need to get the dsl line split, think it's €56 for engineer to come out. If checking the sync at main point, make sure to unplug phone equip that may be on extensions first.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

13 wrote:
    <snip>to get online here via dialup you have to dial 9 to get an outside line/dial tone.. </snip>

Having to dial 9 means that the line you are on is connected to a PBX, which in turn is connected to the main phone line. You need to connect the DSL modem to the main phone line, before it goes into the PBX.

From there, either run CAT5 cabling from the modem to where you are, or try using a wireless access point.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

think you hit the nail on the head garfield!
    thanks for the help all y'all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Hang on a sec, I think I understand the problem you are having. First I will assume the following, correct me if I am wrong.

You have the main "trunk" line coming into your office, this is basicly the main phone line that for most people feeds a phone socket in the hall.

You have an extension system that allows you to make internal calls by dialing a number from 1-4 or 1-8 depending on the type of extension system with 9 connecting you to the outside line for dialup internet or other calls.

The main line feeds into the extension system and the extension system connects all the phones.

What you have in your office is an extension system better known as a PBX. DSL broadband signals cannot pass through these, so you have two options.
    a) join the phone line going to your house from the office onto the main line instead. This means that the broadband signals will go to the house as well and your modem should then be able to sync.

b) The better option, but a little more expensive.
    You get a DSL alarm splitter. Cut the main line going into the extension system and connect the two ends together with the respective connectors on the splitter, they should say line in and line to alarm or line out. Then take the output for the DSL and with a lenght of phone cable connect it with a junction box to the line going to your house. This will block the DSL signal going to the exchange which is generaly not a good idea, and also sends the DSL signal on to your house where you should be able to get broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

thanks for the info got it sorted out eventually!

Advertisement