Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Frustration with Meteor

• 25-12-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Oh my god, meteor salespeople are fools. Sent my sister in to buy me an upgrade for christmas. Told her to just go in and ask for a nokia 6020 upgrade pack and just tell them my old number. The sales person took my number and put the phone in the bag. As she was putting it in the bag my sister asked her again was this an upgrade-the sales person said it was. Sister asked to see the pack and noticed it had a new number written on the side so she asked for an upgrade, the sales woman said that this is what she was giving and that you just throw out the new sim, after much arguing she said ok and took the phone. Now i open it on christmas day and say that it was an upgrade that i need, my sister says thats what the woman said an upgrade was. Now i used it a bit this morning as i didn't want to ring customer care as i'm sure they were swamped. Rang customer care this afternoon and she said that's rubbish and to go back in to the shop. I put away the phone now and going to go in to them next week. Anything else you'd suggest? they must be on commision in the meteor store!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Are you due an upgrade? Have you spent over 240e credit and been with Meteor over 6 months?
    If not, if you get an upgrade you won't get any credit. So a new number pack is actually more use to you as you get another number with credit too.
    I'm sure the Meteor people are on the same commission whether they sell an upgrade or a new number.
    If it was the wrong pack you shouldn't have used it. Don't tell them that when you're returning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Chances of you getting an exchange are minimal. The pack was opened. There might be some lenience if you didn't use the sim card.

Were you actually entitled to an upgrade though? The main problem with customers is that a lot of them don't know what they want or are entitled to. If you're not entitled to an upgrade (you can check this at meteor.ie), you will not be sold an upgrade pack, unless you're a tenner or so off the upgrade. You'll be given one with a new number, because at least that way, you'll get 100euro credit (with the 6020) instead of zero with an upgrade you're not entitled to.

Also, please don't generalise. Most Meteor staff are pretty good at their job and give a lot better service than Vodafone and O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't get this being entitled to an upgrade? If you are on voda you can simply upgrade when ever you want and get €80 redit each time.

With Meteor, you have to be with the network for 5 months, and have spent at least 240euro. The amount of credit you get will be either 70, 100 or 130 depending on your usage/time with network.

chrislad wrote:
    Also, please don't generalise. Most Meteor staff are pretty good at their job and give a lot better service than Vodafone and O2.
    Don't generalise. Most Meteor staff are pretty good at their job and give a good service as do Vodafone and O2. :v:

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    Don't generalise. Most Meteor staff are pretty good at their job and give a good service as do Vodafone and O2. :v:

I didn't say O2 and Vodafone staff didn't give good service. I said that Meteor staff gave better service :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Nice to see big all inclusive statements.

I have found that in ALL shops, from shoe shops to banks, you will find some helpful people and some not so helpful people. It's just the way of the worlds folks.

As for the OP, if the pack was opened it cannot be resold as new, so it is unlikely that you will get your exchange on it. What they may be able to do for you is transfer for whatever the reg credit would have been on the new number onto your old number for you, so you still get your free cash.

Word of advice. I have worked in call centers. Leave the call until tomorrow when everything will be really quiet. The week after X mas is always the lull in everycall center in the land. You will get some nice person who will go to the ends of the earth to help you simply because they really want something to do. At least this is my experience anyway. You could get some dosser just in it for a paycheck, same as anywhere else i suppose.

I agree that this week will be dead in call center land.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bond-007 wrote:
    I agree that this week will be dead in call center land.

I know people that work for Meteor in their lovely outsourced callcenter, how I pitty the poor bastards working on christmas day :confused:

Cabaal wrote:
    I know people that work for Meteor in their lovely outsourced callcenter, how I pitty the poor bastards working on christmas day :confused:
    Would that call center be anywhere near Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

It is irrelevant if the package was opened/used/whatever. His sister specifically asked for a product and was led to believe she was getting what she asked for. Meteor take the fall for this one acccording to consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

I agree that in every company there are nice people. When i phoned the meteor call centre on christmas day the lady was particularly kind-she said it was a disgrace and that she would put a note on my account to say that i phoned and that i should go back to the shop immediately. I am fully entitled to an upgrade, the woman who sold the phone actually typed it in to the computer further adding to convincing my sister she was getting an upgrade pack. On the receipt there's no indication of my number at all. What i suspect is that they are on commision and they were out of upgrade packs so she said she'd chance her arm. Going to go back into the shop today. I presume they'll be back open-i'd have no problem keeping the phone if they could just transfer over the credit but when i phoned on christmas day the woman said she couldn't do that. I'm entitled to nearly 100 euro i think so i'm gonna fight this one i think!!
    and on the receipt it actually has the saleswomans name on it so it'll be easy to track her down!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Think it's in CityWest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chrislad wrote:
    I didn't say O2 and Vodafone staff didn't give good service. I said that Meteor staff gave better service :p

i have to deal with meteor customer care on a daily basis and i can assure that it is staffed by monkeys. voda customer care is good as long as you dont ask for an unlock code. then they lie a lot. o2 is very good in my experience. 3 customer care is fantastic

merritt wrote:
    It is irrelevant if the package was opened/used/whatever. His sister specifically asked for a product and was led to believe she was getting what she asked for. Meteor take the fall for this one acccording to consumer law.

That's his word against theirs though. If it wasn't the right one, it shouldn't have been opened. I agree that he shouldn't have been given the wrong item or what not, but unless you can prove that you were given a wrong one, it is just your word against theirs

Yep. City West is the head office.
    What i suspect is that they are on commision and they were out of upgrade packs so she said she'd chance her arm.

They are on commission but there's no difference between an upgrade and a prepay pack.
    i have to deal with meteor customer care on a daily basis and i can assure that it is staffed by monkeys.

We were referring to retail staff. Don't even talk to me about Customer Care. Bunch of idiots. The amount of times they've given people completely conflicting information.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pythia wrote:
    Think it's in CityWest.

Not sure if they have others but they have a outsourced company handling calls for them in the Industrial Estate in Waterford
    can't rmember the name of the company but its basically next door to AOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

Meteor really annoy me. Everything is budget and awkward with them - their badly dubbed ads, their website, customer care... And they really need a corporate makeover at this stage.

Well I dunno, I have a friend who works part time for Meteor in CityWest and I'm pretty sure she's on the phone lines. They do have one in Waterford too, definitely.

Pythia wrote:
    Well I dunno, I have a friend who works part time for Meteor in CityWest and I'm pretty sure she's on the phone lines. They do have one in Waterford too, definitely.

Thay have two. One in City West Business Park and one, outsourced, in Waterford.

Advertisement