Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Agree Vidic Deal

• 25-12-2005 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Manchester United have reached an agreement with Spartak Moscow for 24-year-old central defender Nemanja Vidic.

fee thought to be around 7million. apperently he is a tough, uncompromising centre half. can't say i've seen too much to be honest. anyone know anything about him? (besides the fact that he looks like shay given!)

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=289762&itype=466&icategoryid=120

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Probably another fergie flop :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

7 million? If that's true, then David Gill is a master negotiator, I thought Spartak were accepting nothing less than around 16 million or something crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

rumour was a minimum of 11, which liverpool were ready to cough up. 7 mill is a good price if he is as good as they reckon. What positions can he play? can he fill in at left back?

PS: He does look a lot like shay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I actually dont know what to make of this deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

that would be 7 million sterling id imagine, by the way.

and its only a rumour on some utd forums...

• Advertisement

and its only a rumour on some utd forums...
    The official United site has quotes attributed to Alex Ferguson saying they've reached an agreement.
    Bit more than a rumor I'd say....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The BBC too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4557572.stm

And Serbia only conceded 1 goal in qualifying!

Where does fergie go from here. Bigger problem imo would be the gaping hole infront of the defence....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

The official United site has quotes attributed to Alex Ferguson saying they've reached an agreement.
    Bit more than a rumor I'd say....

sorry - as in a rumour about the price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scary rumour going around United forums is that they are trying to convert Rio into a DMC, and it is something he wants to do to secure his place in the England squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

PHB wrote:
    Scary rumour going around United forums is that they are trying to convert Rio into a DMC, and it is something he wants to do to secure his place in the England squad.

oh christ.

happy with this signing. rio gets a lot of stick but really he hasnt had a decent partner in defence since joining united. silvestre and brown are way too prone to errors. so this is a big boost for our defence.

next up, our midfield. not sure how much money if any will be left for another signing. but we definitely need someone in there. with scholes appearing to be returning to form the focus has to be on a DMC.

Yeah I get that feeling alright but hopefully fergie will see it as the stupid idea it is and buy a new dmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

rio gets a lot of stick but really he hasnt had a decent partner in defence since joining united. silvestre and brown are way too prone to errors. so this is a big boost for our defence.

Rio is no great shape himself. I'd have either Silvestre or Brown ahead of that waste at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Rio is no great shape himself. I'd have either Silvestre or Brown ahead of that waste at this stage.

i will admit ferdinand has been a dissappointment. but i do believe that he has some good qualities and with the right man beside him he could play the role he was expected to play at united.

I believe Ferdinand, once he returns to form, will be England's best center back style 1 along with Terry in the other mould.

I'm hopeful that the fact the deal is being set up for the 1st means that Fergie has got in gear and is planning another swoop into the market for a midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ferdinand is a spanner, he hasnt been in form for a while (despite getting his 1st goal), id play Brown over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hopefully this lad will have the same impact as heinze and from what i have heard over the past few weeks, he has similiar sort of qualities, agressive and strong etc. i think fergie knows every transfer now has to be spot on, his last 4 or 5 have been solid enough to be fair to him - rooney,heinze, van der sar, park. he will go for another signing over the next week or 2, probably somebody like de jong, though if madrid were willing to sell, gravessn could be a possibility. anybody else?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Meant to be a quality player, good price, time will tell.
    I suppose the choice of playing with United or Jimmy traore was a hard one !!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I havent seen much of Vidic either but hopefully he can improve the form of the defence , If does prove to be a good signing for United and Ferdinand's form gets better our defence should be quite decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ferdinand is a spanner, he hasnt been in form for a while (despite getting his 1st goal), id play Brown over him
    I think u may want to re word your post after today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

PHB wrote:

PHB I don't know which forums you are on? I'd like to know as I think that he would make a good DMC. He can read the game well has the pace and is able to take the ball up the field (and even score :eek: ) like he did today. Anyway if he made a mistake you'd have Vidic to sort it out.

Also if Vidic is as outspoken as his quotes suggest then he'd bloody make sure that both Rio and Wes/Mickey are kept on their toes for 90+ minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Vidic is a very good player, seen him play in a few serb & mont qualifiers.
    I think Newcastle could do with him more then Man Utd. :)

Off topic.
    Does anyone know why Wes Brown was taken off at half time today?

We have an "important" game against Birmingham this Wednesday :rolleyes:

I wouldn't.
    Rio reads the game better than any defender in the premiership, except maybe Carvalho.
    While Brown 'looks' like a better defender because he makes great last ditch tackles, Rio doesn't have to make those tackles so he doesn't get into those situations because of his pace.
    That said, I think Brown is out best natural defender, a no non-sense one, but if you have watched Brown over the years, his concentration is not there yet, and is prone to mistakes. However that will change over time, I hope anyway :)

--
    He can read the game well has the pace and is able to take the ball up the field (and even score ) like he did today.

He doesn't have the range of passing for it.
    Infact I remember an interivew after he was playing upfront for the last 10 minutes of a match, talking about how he used to be a DMC, but how he doesn't have the passing for it.

---
    Does anyone know why Wes Brown was taken off at half time today?

Remember the old United days when United were winning 2-0 by half time, and would take off the older players to give the kids a chance.
    That hasn't happened much in the last two years, however this year he can happen, and did in this match.

Richardson came on for Brown, to let both RIchardson paly, and O'Shea play in defense.
    Smith came on for Scholes and was let be an MC of sorts, not a DMC. He got an assist too.
    Saha came on for Ruud a second after he scored the goal.

It was really great to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

WDK wrote:
    I think u may want to re word your post after today.
    ya i know but he still has a lot to porve. If ye keeps this form up in the next match, we'll be heading up to the top of the table and if Vidic comes along and turns out to be another good signing, along with a few more good signings, there will be a good end to the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Vidic had a sell-on clause in his contract, so if anyone bid over a certain amount the offer had to be accepted - so the £11m quoted was never required. The amount per the clause was leaked last week, and was discussed here on the ManU transfer rumours thread - I cant remember the exact amount, think it was about £7m - but check the thread if interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

imo utd needed athreat from set pieces as they dont score enough from the amount of corners that they get

Vidic had a sell-on clause in his contract, so if anyone bid over a certain amount the offer had to be accepted - so the £11m quoted was never required. The amount per the clause was leaked last week, and was discussed here on the ManU transfer rumours thread - I cant remember the exact amount, think it was about £7m - but check the thread if interested

Thats true, but the clause only activates if he issues a transfer request, which he didn't do, and has stated he didn't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Vidic has agreed personal terms and passed his medical. All he needs now is a work permit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4570634.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Any central defender at thsi stage is a worthy addition.
    Silvestre has always been and always will be a liability.The amount of errors he makes is just unacceptable.

Ferdinands form has been bordering on embarrasing.Sure the guy lookks good on the ball and has pace,but he really has been shown up over the last few months as a rather over-rated player by the hysterical English media.I think he will struggle to get his place for England in the summer.

Brown,while also prone to errors and lacks of concentration(although nowhere near the amount of Silvestre or indeed Ferdinand) is Uniteds most natural out and out defender.At times he makes the other two look like they`ve never played in defence before.

I dont know anything about the new signing but reading this thread he sounds like hes in the Steve Bruce/John Terry mould which would be great.

A player like that presumably alongside Ferdinand might keep him on his toes,give him a kick up the arse a few times,and ultimitely mop up his mistakes,which he will continue to make unfortunately.

Now all we need is a midfield!:rolleyes:

PHB wrote:
    I wouldn't.
    Rio reads the game better than any defender in the premiership, except maybe Carvalho.
    While Brown 'looks' like a better defender because he makes great last ditch tackles, Rio doesn't have to make those tackles so he doesn't get into those situations because of his pace.
    Agreed, that's why I don't think we will see the best of Rio until he has a reliable partner. I don't like criticising United players, but Silvestre doesn't strike me with inspiration. He makes too many mistakes, and I think he is a liability. Also, this season Rio has had to form parnterships from game to game, with Brown and Silvestre in and out of the team. I think you'll see the best of Rio when he has a solid parnter next to him on a consistant basis. I haven't seen anything of Vidic, but I hear he's a tough-as-nails character, much like Heinze. If he is, I think he'll get the best out of Rio.

Agreed, that's why I don't think we will see the best of Rio until he has a reliable partner. I don't like criticising United players, but Silvestre doesn't strike me with inspiration. He makes too many mistakes, and I think he is a liability. Also, this season Rio has had to form parnterships from game to game, with Brown and Silvestre in and out of the team. I think you'll see the best of Rio when he has a solid parnter next to him on a consistant basis. I haven't seen anything of Vidic, but I hear he's a tough-as-nails character, much like Heinze. If he is, I think he'll get the best out of Rio.

Tough as nails all right, 12 yellow cards in 28 matches for Spartak last year if what I read on the Redissue forum is to be believed. Still we need some agression in defence but it has to be controlled though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

we will have 3 no nonsense defenders then in vidic,heinze and neville, with ferdinand to proviod the skill and flair!!. my first choice back four would be
    neville ferdinand vidic silvestre(until heinze come back). i think silvestre and o shea are liabilities at this present time and while o shea has his moments and i believe will come good again, silvestre is definatley a no hoper, he is simply not good enough and maybe ferguson has realised that. i think browne is a far superior defender to him. lets hope the vidic-ferdinand partnership is the new brucey-pally!! now as ye have been saying,its time for a midfielder, and a defensive one at that, scholes is improving now from the start of the season and while he is nowhere near his best, he still offers a huge amount to united. i wish that fergie would sell fortune, richardson and fletcher and use this money, with what he already has, to but 2 quality midfield players. any thoughts on who these should be?
    if we could get ronaldo into life and back to displays like last seasons fa cup final, then the right wing would be sorted and leave giggs and park fight for the left wing. we are fine up front with ruud and rooney on fire at the moment, and with saha, smudger and ole on the sideline, we are as good(if not better) as any other team attacking wise in the premiership. but how much money will fergie get? and i know this question keeps coming up, but does anybody know FOR SURE, what is happening with Mikel, he was due to sign this week?

Latest rumors coming out of the club:
    Manchester United are being linked with a double French swoop in the January transfer window.

The Old Trafford outfit are reported to be trailing Marseille winger Franck Ribery and Monaco defender Patrice Evra.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to bolster his squad in January, as he looks to mount a serious title challenge to Chelsea.

Ribery is regarded as one of the best young talents in Europe and his performances in the Under-21 European Championship play-off victory over England last year attracted the interest of a host of clubs.

Tottenham Hotspur are also believed to be trailing the France Under-21 international and the exciting midfielder claims United and Spurs have made enquiries about his availability.

"My agent has spoken to some of United's directors and Spurs have also contacted Marseille," Ribery told the News of the World.

"It means a lot to me to be followed by clubs like that and I think English football will suit me."

United have held a long-term interest in Evra, having tracked his progress for the last few seasons.

Ferguson could be in the market for a new left back, with Gabriel Heinze still sidelined with a serious knee injury.

United have struggled to fill the void left by Heinze's injury, with John O'Shea and Kieran Richardson failing to convince at full back.

Evra is thought to be considering his future at Monaco and United could offer the Frenchman a route out of Stade Louis II.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=349429&CPID=8&clid=&channel=skysports_home_page

• Advertisement

A winger.... ffs. United need a center Mid. How does he not realise this. It's a good thing that he's looking at the top promising stars in europe but he needs to be looking at the top established center mids at the minute if he's serious about the title.

Vidic can also defend too. Look at this compilation

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...LW37ME9EC4XP5QN

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ribery is a class act. Saw him play for France U21's against Ireland, and he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

Ribery is a top quality player who I'd love to see at United irrespective of whether or not we need a central midfielder.
    Anyone United is linked to publically the price will go up massivly as our needs for a midfielder are well known, so I doubt any actual CM we are interested in will be known before we buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It will be a major coup if Utd land Ribery, possibly the best u-21 player in Europe, he will go on to become a starter for the French national team withing the next 18months.

He destroyed the Irish u-21's in Turners cross, as well as every other team in their group, and went on to wreck the English back 4 in the playoff's

For some reason I think he won't goto United though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Vidic can also defend too. Look at this compilation

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...LW37ME9EC4XP5QN

link is broken :)

Finally managed to upload it again. But if you break it this time you buy it :)
    http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=Nemanja+Vidic+Compilation__2006-01-01_Nemanja+Vidic.wmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

well I meant as in the link u gave was broken, in that you concatenated it to include the ... that boards puts on long links, but either way :)

Astro,

I was joking. I tried uploading it on putfile but no joy (must have been everyone posting New years pics for friends etc). Still let me know if the link works. It was a compilation from when Yugoslavia played Spain and Vidic was brilliant in it. Making tackles everywhere from his own box to the halfway line, winning headers all the time. One of the other posters on the forum I got it from descrbed him as a real get in the way defender. The kind we haven't had since Stam. So hopefully he'll be like that with us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Jes this fella looks savage, its the first i've seen of him, whats the crack with the transfer? when are they expecting it to go through?

Doesn't he look like being exactly what we need? :)

Expect to see him playing in the FA cup against Burton on Sunday. He's going to need a crash course in English though, he doesn't speak any yet!! :eek:

Doesn't he look like being exactly what we need? :)

Expect to see him playing in the FA cup against Burton on Sunday. He's going to need a crash course in English though, he doesn't speak any yet!! :eek:

Well He is not the first player that has had that problem anyway.

Will the transfer be going through during the Transfer window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

phenom wrote:
    Well He is not the first player that has had that problem anyway.

Will the transfer be going through during the Transfer window?

Transfer is done. Waiting for permit

Thanks Nelly, Thats good to hear anyway, We were in need of a Defender And he looks the man for the job,
    We do need a central midfielder now tho,

phenom wrote:
    We do need a central midfielder now tho,

What? Didn't you see Fletcher and O'Shea boss the Bolton midfield on Saturday? The new Robson and Keane! :eek: OK I feel dizzy now am going to sit down :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement