Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Agree Vidic Deal

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

What happened to obi mikel?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

He is not at United! Wasn't he sent back to his club because of the whole Chelsea/United dilemma?
    off topic: Ruskie have you been playing fm2006? Lol Because it says he is joining United on the first of January in it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What happened to obi mikel?

Gone to have his nappy changed.

Apparently the source of all that crying hes been doing the last 6 months was from a nasty rash on his bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=349744&CPID=8&clid=&lid=3&title=Brazil+star+snubbed+United

interesting story regarding cicinho and a failed attempt by united to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

In fairness I think I'd prefer to play at a club with less language barriers and more of my fellow countrymen, I dont think its reflects particularly badly on united. Di you see Cassano is also expected to sign for real in the near future! now that is interesting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Evra looks set:

linky

phenom wrote:
    He is not at United! Wasn't he sent back to his club because of the whole Chelsea/United dilemma?
    off topic: Ruskie have you been playing fm2006? Lol Because it says he is joining United on the first of January in it. :)
    Yeah:p . and in FM 2005 he starts off with chelsea. He better be worth all this messin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=349744&CPID=8&clid=&lid=3&title=Brazil+star+snubbed+United

interesting story regarding cicinho and a failed attempt by united to sign him.

£2.8 million for Cicinho is an absolute steal! I'm not surprised that he didn't sign for us as I've heard from Brazilian based journalist in an interview on Off The Ball that the Premiership isn't rated well in Italy at all. They'll happily use English clubs to put pressure on Spanish, Italian clubs etc to up their wages. But as for playing in England well it'll need a big name player to do that and succeed before others will follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

£2.8 million for Cicinho is an absolute steal! I'm not surprised that he didn't sign for us as I've heard from Brazilian based journalist in an interview on Off The Ball that the Premiership isn't rated well in Italy at all. They'll happily use English clubs to put pressure on Spanish, Italian clubs etc to up their wages. But as for playing in England well it'll need a big name player to do that and succeed before others will follow suit.

Think the bigger problem is the weather. Remember Juninho playing in the middle of the UK summer on with gloves. The media thought it was mental he then moved to Boro. Alot of the Brazilian players are used to nice weather which is the main attraction to Spain. Althou I was in Barca last January and I couldn't wait to get home it was sooo cold

• Advertisement

Well weather is a problem, but that hasn't stopped the likes of Lucio playing for Bayern!

Anyway on a slightly different note O'Shea seems to think that there are a few lads coming in over the next month. Click on the link and scroll down to the last 2 sentences.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=350260&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=O'Shea+rallies+United+troops

Vidic and Obi??? Or does know something we don't :)

The premiership isn't seen as the greatest league in the world, despite what sky says.
    alot of foreign players would rather a move to spain or italy over england most of the time, and the weather has little to do with it. The english culture might have some role but hopefully the premiership will be seen as a more attractive place to play for good foreign players in the future, as more and more english teams do well in europe.

Vidic has work permit so transfer has gone through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

cool, looking forward to seeing a bit of aggression back in our defensive play, it was there with bruce & palli, stam & Johnsen and hopefully this fella will introduce it again

• Advertisement

johnsen was a fantastic player. where is he playing now if at all? last i heard it was villa but that seems a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

johnsen was a fantastic player. where is he playing now if at all? last i heard it was villa but that seems a long time ago.

He's with Valeranga now, came out of retirement to join them.

Was with Newcastle briefly after leaving Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

i think he's with newcastle now, was dogged with injuries,he was savage at CB and midfield for united in 1999

didnt realise he played with newcastle, was looking for him in their squad,

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SeniorSquad/0,,10278,00.html

that really is a poor squad, especially when you take the injured players out.

johnsen was great, his injuries seem to have ruined his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He was with Newcastle in 03/04, has since retired and come out of retirement to play with Valeranga in Norway.

• Advertisement

johnsen was great, his injuries seem to have ruined his career.

And you can thank Michael Owen for that. :mad: His first game at OT he goes over the top on Johnsen and wrecks his knee. He was never the same after that.

Patrice Evra's agent claims Monaco are willing to let his client leave the Principality if the club receive an offer which matches their valuation.

Evra, currently ostracised from the Monaco squad after he admitted his desire to quit the Stade Louis II, is wanted by Manchester United and Internazionale.

And Federico Pastorello believes a January transfer window switch to either Old Trafford or the San Siro is now on the cards for the 24-year-old French international after encouraging talks with Monaco.

"Things went well," said Pastorello, "and Monaco will not go against Patrice's departure.

"If an interesting offer is made to Monaco then the transfer will go through."

United are believed to be Evra's preferred option as Inter would rather sign him now but not take him to Italy until June.

"Inter have worked directly with Monaco and myself and I told Manchester United about the situation," added Pastorello.

"It is now up to the clubs to make their move. But it is true that Patrice really liked the way Manchester went about things. They were very professional with us."

Fergie seems to want alot of defender, he keeps forgetting about midfield. Maybe he is a long term replacement for Neville. Is he a right or left back? 5mil alot for a defender for one season till Heinze comes back. O'Shea playing great as well

Remember him against Chelsea that season and looked a great player and the best over the 2 legs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Evra is an attacking left Back, very similar to Ashley Cloe.

Him and Jerhome Rothen were best friends in the monaco acadmey and he was actually a left winger untill both of them broke through the youth ranks at the same time, The manager at the time didn't ant to sacrafice one for the other so he tryed Evra at left full (he was stronger and a lot faster) and it worked very well, they complemented each other a lot like Cole and Peris do.

anyway, he is a class act and I reckon if they signed him it would me Heinze moving to Centre Back, which makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Could be that O'Shea will be moved to centre-midfield permanently now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

rio has a good partner now hopefully we will put a good run together and hunt chelsea down like the pack ofv dogs that they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I pray to God Vidic works out for Man U. Even if he does turn out to be from the Christian Worns school of using headlocks as a tactic for defending corners!

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=350692&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=United+close+on+Evra&channel=football_home

theres seems to be a new report every few hours about how close this deal is. i hate deals like this, as its always deals like this untied fcuk up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Uniteds transfer dealings are always long drawn out affairs. As a fan it has always been frustrating when United are in for a big name players because invariably it becomes a drawn out affair where ultimately the player doesn't sign.
    I don't think I will ever get over the outcome of the Ronaldinho debacle a couple of seasons ago - every time he has me out of my seat with unbridaled joy at another piece of footballing majesty it is always tempered by the thought of what might have been had he graced Old Trafford week in week out.....

It's horrible to watch him play for Barcelona knowing he could have been so easily playing in OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It looks like Evra is on his way to United too.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1680380,00.html

The consensus on United fora is that his game is very like Ashley Cole's and he is a snip at the reported 5.5 Million Fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I believe Evra played for France against Ireland at the Stade de France in the last qualifiers?

And let John O Shea in at the back post to miss terribly?

He is amazingly quick and a great crosser of the ball, according to a French guy in work, and he is a PSG fan, so I believe him.

Supposedly a bit small so is normally on the front post at set piecers. Could compliment Vidic well.

Things look bright at the back if these two are as good as I am hearing, but when Heinze returns, left full must be his once more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've seen Evra play plenty of times. He's an excellent player but does that mean Heinze is going to play centre half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Heinze is out until the end of the season in reality, so i think its increasing squad size.
    Uniteds defense looks very very strong now

Neville/Bardsely/Brown - Rio/Brown/Slyvestre/Heinze/O'Shea/Pique/Vidic - Rio/Brown/Slyvestre/Heinze/O'Shea/Pique/Vidic - Heinze/Slyvestre/O'Shea/Evra/

Now we just need a midfielder or two.
    Graveson looks increasingly like a decent option:
    Real Madrid's unsettled midfielder Thomas Gravesen has issued a come and get me plea to The Premiership.

The Dane, who moved from Everton last January, has become increasingly frustrated by his lack of first team action at El Bernabeu.

Gravesen was a fixture in the Real side when he first arrived in Spain but the sacking of coach Wanderley Luxemburgo and the subsequent upheaval has left the 29-year-old out in the cold.

Manchester United and former club Everton have both expressed interest in a cut-price £1 million transfer and a move may now be imminent after Gravesen revealed his frustrations.

"I am a footballer and I must be on the pitch to be happy," said Gravesen.

"But until a club contacts me directly, I do not want to respond to anything."

Sir Alex Ferguson's side are thought to be Gravesen's preferred option and the Scot will be eager to bolster his midfield department.

Injuries to Paul Scholes and Alan Smith have forced Ferguson to field a makeshift central pairing of Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea and, although the duo impressed against Arsenal in midweek, the signing of Gravesen would increase United's options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

sprinkles wrote:
    It's horrible to watch him play for Barcelona knowing he could have been so easily playing in OT.

No, no he couldn't have. He rejected Man Utd. Flat out. He had the choice and he chose Barcelona. Read his interview in this months 4-4-2 if you don't believe what is already well known, old news. (ironic)

Do you honestly believe that Man U did everything possible to get him!? Everyone has a price and if they met Ronaldinho's then I doubt Chelsea would be 13 points ahead right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

sprinkles wrote:
    Do you honestly believe that Man U did everything possible to get him!? Everyone has a price and if they met Ronaldinho's then I doubt Chelsea would be 13 points ahead right now.

Maybe they didn't...but that's besides the point. I just remember that day like it was yesterday, Ferguson on Sky Sports news saying how confident they were of signing him...then a couple of hours later, himself and Kenyon reportedly fell out in the airport lounge and Ferguson was shouting at him. Load of bollox to be honest...the lad is ****ing sublime.

Advertisement