Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

video card/power supply question

• 25-12-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi,
    hope i'm posting this in the right area and i'd be most gratefull for any comments on the following.

The system concerned is a 2.4ghz sempron , asus mobo running win2k. Was working fine with an old nvidia geforce2 64mb agp card. I recently aquired a geforce4 mx440 card with 128mb. Installed it and on bootup there are weird lines and general display coruption on the screen. When windows kicks in the monitor goes into standby. I have tried the usual suspects drivers etc. the fact that it gives problems at startup points me to some sort of hardware problem seperate from an obvious driver problem in windows which will boot in safe mode though with weird lines on the monitor. Searching on the web reveals a little info on this problem most of it points to a weak power supply. mine is a 300w. I've been away from the pc scene for a few years and my question is can a video card really take that much power? and if so would an uprated psu solve the problem? any comments welcome.

thanks in advance.

jack.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A 300w psu is plenty for a Geforce4 or the mx or Ti variety. I'd say the card is dodgey....there are people running better cards on lower with no probs, believe it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

could well be dodgy i guess. its a weird problem i'm not sure which way to jump!

Advertisement