Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording using a Line6 Toneport UX2

Options
  • 26-12-2005 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Got a Toneport UX2 for Christmas from the parents and I've been messing around with it for ages changing all the tones, amp models, cab models etc...

I can't figure out how to record from it though...

I've been googling for tutorials but can't find anything and had a gander through the help sections on the Gearbox but can't really find any tutorials or anything...

Anyone have any links to tutorials for recording with a Toneport UX2 or anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Im guessing how to do this from the specs from the Line6 website.

If audio is sent over USB (im not sure if it is) then you can either select the tonelab as the recording source by going control panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio Recording, to be able to record from it in a standard audio program. Or in an Asio compatable sequencer select the tone lab as the audio device (In cubase it would be Device -> Device Setup -> VST Multitrack and select the tonelab ASIO driver there, then you select it as the audio source in the IN section in the track inspector.).

If audio isnt sent over USB there are many output ports on it such as the 'Stereo Line Outputs via balanced 1/4-inch' which you could simply plug into your line-in on your sound card. Then go to Accesories on the start menu, entertainment, volume control and open up the record screen in that and select the line-in.

Hope this has been of some help.:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Ooh... just found another CD in the box... Abelton... I assume this is the recording program?

Anyone used Abelton before?

Thanks Beecher I dunno how capable I am of pulling out my PC to plug stuff into the sound card after the christmas Alcamahol but if I can't get Abelton working I'll give the line in a try

Yeah Ableton is a recording program, got it myself today to mess around with the NIN 'Only' Ableton files on www.nin.com. Pretty savage program altogether.

Presuming audio is going over USB then for Ableton you need to go to Options->Audio Device, select the Driver type as Asio and the Input Audio Device as the Tonelab. You can mess around with the latency's as you see fit (try and get them as low as possible without the sound becoming distorted of glitchy).

Also check here for advice from people with the device :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hey Steve,

I guess at this point you've probably figured the limitations of the Ableton Live lite 4 package , i.e your limited to four audio tracks, which basically blows goats if you want to double track rhthym guitar stick some bass down add solos fills and bits and bobs etc.
    Aswell as the obvious I think the drum samples in ableton are pretty bad , just my opinion of course . I use riff tracker and the instant drummers in that which are pretty cool , ya can export them and edit them as they're very clean, you need a guitar port though to use it I own both so am fortunate enough to be able to use both.

Ive been using Toneport UX2 since november and have tried various software packages, most software will have free demo versions on their websites a couple Ive found two work very comfortably with toneport

Tracktion 2 (Comes with great plug ins for additional post tracking processing also has a great little drum sequencer program in there too)

Adobe Audition (Very intuitive and easy to mix on. Blows goats in so far as it doesnt handle VST or VSTi but it does have a lot of its own built in effects that can be applied live or processed to a recorded signal)

You should probably consider downloading this

asio4all.com

its an asio driver and is very stable, you'll find once you get into the recording end of things and using different software packages and hardware, that configuration requirements change depending on the application and what you want to do so having a stable driver is pretty important or you get crashville tennesse and potentially loads of latency problems when you start processing muliple tracks in multiple formats.

if youre just recording guitars for the moment into one single package Id ignore all of that though :D

Everything on this track

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffcaster/post.php?/892

was recorded with toneport by the way if ya wanna have a listen and see what it can do in an all round gtrs/ bass/ vocals capacity.

All the best ,
    Trev

• Advertisement
Advertisement