Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most haunted place!

Options
  • 26-12-2005 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is the most haunted place in ireland or most haunted county?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I heard it was Cork Street or Cook Street in Dublin. Somthing do do with an orphanage fire but it was a long time ago and I cant really remember

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Never heard off that, theres a few place in kilkenny ment to be haunted but never seen any thing myself!

Ill try and dig somthing up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

That be great, sounds interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

There are a few places said to be "the most haunted place in Ireland". In Offaly there's Leap Castle, Charleville Castle and Kinnitty Castle. The Hellfire Club and Killakee House above Rathfarnham are also in the running, and Gilhall in Antrim Wicklow, Galway and Cork are the 3 counties I've had the most calls to since I began paranormal investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cheap sheep

Kilcoole is the most haunted place in Ireland, according to some documentry I saw on the discovery channel a while back.:eek:

Its also the most inbred place in Ireland, according to anybody in the central to north wicklow region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

I used to live in one of the top 20 haunted houses in dublin, when i was very young 10 - 12 yo. It was in Clanbrasil Street. I do remember there bieng a very dull/sad atmosphere 24/7 even right up till the day we moved house.
    its been up for sale for 10 years now apparantly. I remember my dog would always go beserk for no reason, be sleeping, then he would jump up and bark at walls/nothing. Also heard after we'd moved out, that it was build on a well.
    Never " Saw " a ghost, but god somtimes you would feel there was a curse or somthing. My father had a major event in the house that was in the papers at the time ( 20 years ago ) even the gardai said they felt a tenseness.

Never researched it or anything, but i KNOW that the next owner left the house after 5 months. Owner after that 7 months. Would love to know the story there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

want to share the story that was in the paper? (if its paranormally related)

That documentary was made about one of my cases, a large farm in Kilcoole? Ghostly children playing on a merry-go-round? That's one of the reasons I referred to Wicklow as one of our most haunted counties. Also the "Galway Ghost" case was all over RTE at the time, loads of ghostly activity,Michael Aspel made a "Strange but true" documentary about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

mysteria wrote:
    That documentary was made about one of my cases, a large farm in Kilcoole? Ghostly children playing on a merry-go-round? .......

is that the documentary where there was a small stream on the farm where some child fell in?

just drove by Hellfire Club 15 minutes ago ..... i can see it from my bedroom window. As some of you know on here, i've plans to do an overnight up there when the wheather gets a bit more "friendly".

6th

• Advertisement

That's the one, we actually found the child's grave in the graveyard after I had Cleared the house of Spirit activity. The child (who appeared to be boy about 10 yrs old) appeared lots of times dressed in a long wet old-fasioned nightgown, the grandmother of the house mistook him for one of her grandchildren a few times, the apparition was so real. He also appeared on the Kilcoole road bordering the farm, a motorcyclist saw him in the middle of the road one night, swerved to avoid him and crashed. The biker spent ages searching ditches etc when the apparition disappeared, he thought he had killed or injured someone. There were a few different spirits in that farm.

I made a documentary about the Hellfire Club up there with "Scariest places on Earth", I didn't see or hear anything there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've been to the hellfire club a few times a year since i was about 7 (21years ago) have felt things but have never anything for definate .... always felt someone was standing back not wanting to be seen.

Where are you based Mysteria? will have to get you out to a Greet&Grub™ sometime and pick ur brains!

6th

I'm based in Sth. Dublin but spend a lot of time travelling, I'm making a documentary about the "Galway Ghost" with Discover channel in about 3 weeks, I'll be going to Galway soon to see the Fahey's, have you heard or seen anything about that case? I might be able to organise for a few suitable people to come and meet them, hear all about their experiences.

I want to know more about Kilcoole. Was just there an hour ago and got an odd vibe. The Farm wouldnt be down by the train/beach stop would it? Can anyone tell me where to get info on the areas paranormal activity becuase i cant find anything on google

No the farm is not near the beach, not that I know of it's very large and I have'nt see all of it. It's not haunted any more as I "Cleared "the house and land. I wrote about it in my work "Trapped between two worlds, experiences of a Ghostbuster" published about 10 yrs ago but out of print now (I will re-publish at some stage) but 2nd hand copies are available on Amazon. However there are other "haunted" spots around that area, there were dreadful atrocities committed there round the time of the 1798 rebellion, by the Irish Yeomanry,one notorious historical figure called "Hangman Hempenstall" lived there and there's a lot of bloody history. You might like to visit The Kilpedder Inn which is haunted, I made a documentary there with UTV but the owners wanted to keep their Spirit. It's a good meeting-place for anyone interested in Spirit activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

mysteria wrote:
    No the farm is not near the beach, not that I know of it's very large and I have'nt see all of it. It's not haunted any more as I "Cleared "the house and land. I wrote about it in my work "Trapped between two worlds, experiences of a Ghostbuster" published about 10 yrs ago but out of print now (I will re-publish at some stage) but 2nd hand copies are available on Amazon. However there are other "haunted" spots around that area, there were dreadful atrocities committed there round the time of the 1798 rebellion, by the Irish Yeomanry,one notorious historical figure called "Hangman Hempenstall" lived there and there's a lot of bloody history. You might like to visit The Kilpedder Inn which is haunted, I made a documentary there with UTV but the owners wanted to keep their Spirit. It's a good meeting-place for anyone interested in Spirit activity.

Wow, I would really love to visit th Kilpedder Inn. I have a total facination with ghosts. Unfortunately most of my mates think the whole thing is a joke and wouldn't go with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

mysteria wrote:
    I'm based in Sth. Dublin but spend a lot of time travelling, I'm making a documentary about the "Galway Ghost" with Discover channel in about 3 weeks, I'll be going to Galway soon to see the Fahey's, have you heard or seen anything about that case? I might be able to organise for a few suitable people to come and meet them, hear all about their experiences.
    Is that the case about the house in Corrib Park in the Westside of the city? I ve often wanted to know more about that..for those of you who don't know anything about it, I think it involved this family who moved into a house in said estate a few years back and as soon as they had a baby, the house went mad;all sorts of poltergeist activity etc.. I think they eventually had it cleansed and found the bones of a what had been a new born baby underneath the floor boards.. What I heard is that years ago, a priest and a nun had an affair, and she became pregnant and they killed the baby...
    I dont know how true or false any of that is but it sounds fascinating anyways! There was a local book published about it, I remember seeing it, when I was a student in Galway, but I have found it hard to get info on it ever since..

Arac, sorry been on my travels and I've only just seen your question. Yes the Faheys are the family you heard about. They were actually living in that house for years ( in Newcastle) with no problems. Paranormal activity began when a new baby was brought home to the house, most of the phenomena revolved around mother and child. We are currently making a documentary about the story with the Discovery Channel, and a DVD movie about the case. I'll post broadcast times if I get a chance. By the way tonight's Late Late show is about ghosts etc ( with a big plug for the Roman Catholic Churches exorcist who is on the show). They'll have someone from Corks haunted gaol and a few others who've had ghostly experiences. Same ole same ole........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

would be very interested in seeing that documentary mysteria, do tell us when will be shown!;)

• Advertisement

Sure, we're filming it within the next 2 weeks but obviously they're filming other case too, in other european countries as well. Then they go back to the U.S. and film the reconstructions bit, I'd say it will be a few months before it's shown but I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear. Should be good, an hour-long program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

Hell Fire Club is OK but if you want to see some thing when your up that way four place's you must go. 1st go behind the hell fire club its a good track into the woods there is a celtic grave a man has been spotted once or twice sitting on the mound with sword in hand. 2nd the house beside the hell fire car park is very haunted this is were you'll find the famous black cat ghost . 3rd lord masses across from the hell fire club some people have heard a coach . 4th is the world war two graveyard up the road from the hell fire club locals have heard German voices crying out in pain at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Those pictures are not of the German graveyard from Glencree?? Cant see anything in them really.

I remember ages ago I saw a programme on tv where a psychic went to Kilakee house looking for the cat, but they actually found a person there who had commited suicide. Ireland AM it was.

There is a ghost dog at rathfarnham gate according to some really old book I used to have on ghosts.

Here is a nice little article I found today:
    HEADLINE: A haunting presence canraise spirits

BYLINE: Liz Morgan

BODY:
    The sighting of a ghost on the premises can lead to a lucrative business if you happen to own a country house with a history, writes Liz Morgan.

Ghouls and ghosts and things that go bump in the night should belong in the world of pantomime, cliched horror movies and old wives' tales.

I thought until I lived in a house boasting a resident ghost. I never saw the spirit but there were independently corroborated sightings. Later, touring historically interesting houses around Ireland while researching a book, I heard enough to convince me that some homes had occupants that were other than carnal beings.

In 1999, Cardinal Jorge Medina Estevez, Prefect for the Vatican's Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, issued a new rite of exorcism to replace the 1614 version. Exorcisms are dealt with here at diocesan or parish level, says the Catholic Press Office in Dublin. But not everyone wants their ghosts out.

Rathfarnham Castle dates back to the mid-17th century and is now open to the public. Before this former seat of the Loftus family became public property it was in the hands of the Jesuits, who should have been well qualified to exorcise any spirit visitors but stories of a ghost there persist. A room off the ballroom is said to be haunted by the spirit of a young woman who was entombed in a cupboard, possibly when two young men shut her in while they fought a duel over her in which both perished. The intrepid lady of the castle had the corpse's silk dress made into cushions.

Some buildings boast several ghosts. Springhill, Co Derry, a National Trust property, dates back to the 1680s and is associated with two spirits. One is said to be George Lenox-Conyngham who shot himself there in 1816, the other is a mother who nursed her children through smallpox, only to fall victim to the disease herself.

The story of the appearance of the devil at Castletown, Co Kildare - he left behind as evidence a cracked hearth stone, broken in a fit of rage when he lost at cards - is well known. But Lady Louisa Conolly is also said to make an occasional appearance on the lawn where she died. On her death bed, Louisa ordered a tent to be put up in the garden and was carried there so that she could look at the house she loved, having lavished 25 years on the creation of its interiors.

There are enough haunted houses to offer a ghost tour. Which is what John Colclough of Irish Luxury Tours does.

"In 20 years of organising tours some people have had some very strange experiences," says Colclough.

One of the strangest was in a hotel with ecclesiastic associations where the ghost tour was staying. A guest, who was staying in the bishop's room, found her belongings neatly but inexplicably unpacked. Later, when she retired, she found her cases carefully repacked. Colclough says the night porter suggested the bishop's valet, last in service around 1740, attended to special guests.

On another occasion, the shadow of a cowled man showed up in a photo taken in the cloisters at Mellifont Abbey. "There wasn't anyone there," says Colclough.

At Leap Castle, Co Tipperary, workmen excavating a dungeon in 1900 dug up three cart loads of human skeletons. Residents had reported an "elemental", or primitive spirit that issues a foul smell. In 1909, Mildred Darby wrote of an encounter with a foul being "about the size of a sheep", human-faced and smelling of decay.

Not all hauntings involve visible apparitions. Disembodied spirits are commonly associated with smells, sensations, emotions such as hatred or fear and sounds of activity. Ghosts were defined by Frederick Myers, a founder of the London Society for Psychical Research, as "a manifestation of persistent personal energy, which is in some way connected with a person previously known on earth".

Visible ghosts are typically associated with the place they lived, and reactions from present occupants vary. One woman, when asked about her haunted home, slammed the phone down; others are happily reconciled to resident spirits.

"None of our ghosts are malevolent; they are usually members of the family," says Samantha Leslie, of Castle Leslie, an 1870 Renaissance-style mansion now run as an upmarket guest house. "Great Uncle Norman keeps coming back. He was shot in the first world war."

Norman Leslie's first spirit appearance was on October 18, 1914. He was seen walking by Glaslough lake and it was assumed that he was back on leave, inspecting the grounds before returning to the house. The Leslie family heard later that day that he had been shot in action.

Staff at Malahide Castle are happy to talk about the puck at the castle, parts of which date back to medieval times.

"The story is that he was a night watchman who had fallen asleep when the castle was attacked. He felt very bad about it and hanged himself," says administrator Geraldine Lynch. "He only appears when something he doesn't like is happening."

The last sighting was in 1976 when the castle, owned by the Talbots who had been at Malahide for 800 years, was put up for auction. The auctioneer saw a grey-bearded figure appear through the entrance into the great hall, known as Puck's Door.

Charleville Forest, near Tullamore, Co Offaly, has the reputation of being one of Ireland's most haunted houses and has generated ghost weekends that help swell the restoration fund. Bobby Vance, the owner, says: "It's great the ghosts are doing something useful. I tell them 'I know you are there, go pick up a broom'. "None of the ghosts are nasty," she says. Shortly after moving to the castle, Vance's three- year-old son Michael disappeared and was found at the foot of a steep staircase. "Don't worry, a little girl took my hand on the stairs," said the toddler. The girl was Harriet Hugh Adele, who had fallen to her death on the same staircase in 1860.

Then there's the hooded monk that often appears to the residents at St John's Manor guesthouse in Co Wexford. Some years ago Judie Ward, the Kent-born operator, credited the ghost with saving her life. "One of the doors to an upstairs room rattled violently as if someone was trying to get out. I opened it to see that there was nobody in the room. But a candle had burned down and had started a fire, so I ran in and put it out. If I hadn't caught it, the whole house might have gone up."

Those pictures are not of the German graveyard from Glencree??
    I:
    there of glasnevin graveyard my favorite place to hang out.
    i have a list of places that are haunted in Dublin.
    number 2 summer hill Dublin is on the top 20 list .
    new market facing cork street the ruins of a convent which burnt to the ground it was also an orphanage at the time.
    library next door to Patrick cathedral Patrick street.
    old church in crumlin village.
    I'll post out a full list of sightings and location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

number 2 summer hill Dublin is on the top 20 list .

Interesting!

Did you see this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dr_Darkness

You know I am not surprised when I heard about Kilcoole being haunted. Because when I was there before I always got strange vibes and its the same with parts of Greystones. I just don't like those areas at all and its because of those vibes I very rarely travel to Kilcoole or Greystones to be honest. Does anyone know if parts of Greystones is haunted?

psi wrote:
    Interesting!

Did you see this thread?
    yes some very good pics i like the one with the man standing in the door way best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 meathmissy

So what can you all tell me about hendrick street in smithfield dublin??? I just moved here and last night the walking ghost tour went by our flat, and its got me curious?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

My Acoustics University Lecturer mentioned that Infra-sound waves can be attributed to thse haunted feelings that we get in some places.

The nerve sounds and frequencies in our brain can clash with these infra-sound waves and make us uneasy at times.

*Just a little note*.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Fart wrote: »

The nerve sounds and frequencies in our brain can clash with these infra-sound waves and make us uneasy at times.

Wha?:eek:

Advertisement