Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin townland area borders???

Options
  • 26-12-2005 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I need to establish the relative borders of Stillorgan, Clonskeagh, Goatstown and Dundrum.

Where can I find a map, preferably online, that will give me definitive views of where these townlands begin and end?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where in particular are you talking about? Street Address?

Talk to the Ordnance Survey www.osi.ie or their agent National Map Centre in Aungier Street. http://www.irishmaps.ie/

The electoral divisions appear to be as below, I take it the first part is the townland:

Ballinteer-Broadford,
    Ballinteer-Ludford,
    Ballinteer-Marley,
    Ballinteer-Meadowbroads,
    Ballinteer-Meadowmount,
    Ballinteer-Woodpark

Churchtown-Castle,
    Churchtown-Landscape,
    Churchtown-Nutgrove,
    Churchtown-Orwell,
    Churchtown-Woodlawn

Clonskeagh-Belfield,
    Clonskeagh-Farranboley,
    Clonskeagh-Milltown,
    Clonskeagh-Roebuck,
    Clonskeagh-Windy Arbour

Dundrum-Balally,
    Dundrum-Kilmacud,
    Dundrum-Sandyford,
    Dundrum-Sweetmount,
    Dundrum-Taney,

Stillorgan-Deerpark,
    Stillorgan-Kilmacud,
    Stillorgan-Leopardstown,
    Stillorgan-Merville,
    Stillorgan-Mount Merrion,
    Stillorgan-Priory

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure the electoral areas are much good, since they seem to list the likes of kilmacud, leopardstown and sandyford as parts of other areas?

there is no such thing as 'definitive' listings as far as I know. your best bet is the post office for a particular street but in those areas people near the apparent boundaries will call there address whichever area is better if they can get away with it, the postcodes are the only defintive area boundaries as far as I know and you can get these from post office..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Basically as far as I have ever been able to figure out is there are no borders in many areas.

Estate agents lie about it as do people so it makes things really confusing. In some areas you have further division my granny still refers to "old" and "new" Donnycarney and there is even a wall seperating the areas.

Crumlin hospital isn't in Crumlin. Donnycarney house is in Clontarf (golf course) yet Parnell Park is obviously in the original golf land is in Donnycarney. Postal address also can be differnt from actual geography too leading to more problems.

It will never be sorted as it will mean some people will lose money off theri property value.

There are quite definitive boundaries for townlands, they are marked on large scale maps, although confusion can arise especially where a road has been realigned or fields merged.
    Donnycarney house is in Clontarf (golf course) yet Parnell Park is obviously in the original golf land is in Donnycarney.
    Clontarf golfclub isn't in Clontarf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The ordinance survey office should be able to help you as their maps go back before the main roads and housing estates.

There are a lot of addresses that were associated to the parish but many are legally called after the old land owners especially if they were "Titled" Gentry.

For example the Barony of Castleknock stretches into Cabra (Dublin 7) the post code is different, the parish if not more than one were different but a builder sold houses calling the address Castleknock.

Havoc reigned in the post office and one buyer tried to sue the builder for giving a false address, his defence was he sold the houses in "The Barony of Catleknock" and it was clear to everyone the post code was different and the location was about a mile away from Castleknock.

The builder won the court case.

• Advertisement

You will find boundaries on www.epa.ie but not names.

http://maps.epa.ie/InternetMapViewer/MapViewer.aspx

EDIT: In urban areas, they seem to be Ed boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Townlands in urban areas? There may be old townlands in a lot of Dublin, but these boundaries are going to be fairly irrelevant. The townland for Dundrum, if there is one, is going to be very small.

What are you trying to establish here?

If you are trying to establish where Dundrum ends and Goatstown begins, townland maps will probably not give you the answer you want. The placenames you mention are not really areas, they're really points, and they have a vague general region around them. There is no boundary between these areas in ordinary use. The best you will find is the EDs which Victor has suggested, but even these are probably different from common use.

A lot of placenames in Dublin are aspirational rather than geographical in character as Pete points out. Think of Ballybrack. When was the last time you met someone from Ballybrack? I hope this is not because there are a lot of bodies buried out there. Even Ballybrack Post Office no longer has 'Ballybrack' has part of its address. An Post claims that it is in Dun Laoghaire.

http://locator.anpost.ie/locator_offices.asp?grof=406&county=Dublin&dublin=&office=Ballybrack

In fact, the An Post website now gives the wrong postal address for Ballybrack Post Office. According to Geodirectory (An Post's address database) Ballybrack post office is actually in Killiney (and this address used to be listed on the website). Ballybrack to Killiney. Upwardly mobile or what?

Postal addresses are certainly not definitive. For example, the Post Office address for premises in Kilternan is incorrect - An Post requires that premises in this area give 'County Dublin' as part of the address. In fact, no county of that name exists in Ireland. There are many other examples where postal addresses are incorrect, particularly in rural areas.

Victor, townlands are always smaller than ED's, not bigger. There are 5000 EDs but around 60,000 townlands.

(ED's in the city were formally known as 'wards')

Victor, townlands are always smaller than ED's, not bigger. There are 5000 EDs but around 60,000 townlands.
    On average yes, but the variation is vast.

Red- Walkinstown A(?) Electoral Division
    Pink -Tallaght Townland
    Green - Cooldown Commons Townland

[Will post image later]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Wow, I guess so. That's interesting.

Here's a list of townlands I came across, together with a list of ED's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_subdivisions_of_County_Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that epa site is cool, somebody in the civil service does a great job on those mapping sites

where you get the gif victor

any useful info here
    http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/index.cfm?fuseaction=TownlandsInCivil&civilparishid=944&civilparish=Taney&citycounty=Dublin

I just did a screen shot from the EPA sites, and changed the townland / ED borders.

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,717304,731160,6

Look at the Historic layer.

Clonskeagh is north of the Dodder, Roebuck south. Farranboley is roughly Windy Arbour and then Friarsland.

Advertisement