Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

quad from uk info please

Options
  • 26-12-2005 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

almost sorted on a quad 4x4 5 speed from uk
    before i make my next move and go get it will i need to pay duys or anything
    mates say muck it up and say its used but the customs aint silly any info would be sweet

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Because the UK is in the EU you shouldn't have to pay any import duty on it. Normally with cars you'd have to pay VRT to get it registered here, but I presume you're not going to be driving this on the roads, and therefore not taxing it, so no VRT either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What the person above said.
    UK is in the EU - So no VAT to pay.
    Your not going to be driving it on public roads so no VRT

... Just bring it in and have fun in the fields!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Err.. completely contrary to the above advice, if the quad is new (which I think it is going from your post) then you will have to pay VAT.

No VAT within the EU refers to used goods where the VAT has already been paid in the country of origin when the vehicle was first bought and paid for (when VAT would naturally apply).
    So if the vehicle you're buying is brand new (under 6k miles for normal cars), then you will be liable to pay VAT on it (just as you would if you imported a computer, a stereo system, a hairbrush or anything else at all from new).

Its 21% if paid here, 17.5% if paid in the UK.

nm wrote:
    Err.. completely contrary to the above advice, if the quad is new (which I think it is going from your post) then you will have to pay VAT.

No VAT within the EU refers to used goods where the VAT has already been paid in the country of origin when the vehicle was first bought and paid for (when VAT would naturally apply).
    So if the vehicle you're buying is brand new (under 6k miles for normal cars), then you will be liable to pay VAT on it (just as you would if you imported a computer, a stereo system, a hairbrush or anything else at all from new).

Its 21% if paid here, 17.5% if paid in the UK.

Uh of course he's gonna have to pay VAT in the UK - I'm talking about here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

VRT has to be paid on this, like all vehicles that are brought into the country. Although if it was to go missing off the Revenue's radar and not used on the roads here then nobody would be the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭the_jocky

i made some calls and yes im afraid to say the robbing s_wines . u gots to pay the few bob vat.
    i may just travel to belfast and drive through to dublin. could be less hastle than uk.
    just got to source a good price there. cause the price i was quoted in uk was almost half....rip off ireland is alive and kicking as fooookn usual lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

JohnCleary wrote:
    Uh of course he's gonna have to pay VAT in the UK - I'm talking about here

I dont think you know what you are talking about John.
    He'll have to pay the VAT HERE when it lands, just like with all new goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can just pay VAT in the UK. Then you won't have to pay import duty as it's coming from the EU and then I don't know what the position is regarding VRT as I've seen one or two quads on the roads around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've heard something that quad bikes aren't street legal here? Something about the rear wheels operate in unison not with differential(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Just out of interest how much are you paying for it? and where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have seen one around the clonskeagh area with a numberplate and a flashing amber light. Might be something to do with UCD but I've never seen it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

nm wrote:
    I dont think you know what you are talking about John.
    He'll have to pay the VAT HERE when it lands, just like with all new goods.

Ahhh no, it's you that doesn't know what he's talking about, he's buying something within the EU, there are two vat scenarios. 1) he's a private individual and he pays vat at point of sale. 2) he's vat registered and pays no vat on the item.

also I'd say worst case it's an agricultural vehicle, so you pay fifty lids for your VRT, that's only if you're registering it. for road usage. if it's an offroad only machine there's no VRT to be paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Victor wrote:
    I've heard something that quad bikes aren't street legal here? Something about the rear wheels operate in unison not with differential(?).

Some of them are definitely street legal as I've seen official bodies using registered ones. Maybe they require an adaption?

Just while I'm here does anyone know what the six-wheel ATVs are called? Obviously they can't be referred to as a 'quad'. eg John Deere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

JohnBoy wrote:
    for road usage. if it's an offroad only machine there's no VRT to be paid
    I am afraid not JohnBoy.
    According to the Revenue ANY vehicle bought into the state will need to pay VRT.
    It matters not whether it is for offroad use or not, but as K-Tric states above fly under the radar.
    I am speaking from personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

CJhaughey wrote:
    I am afraid not JohnBoy.
    According to the Revenue ANY vehicle bought into the state will need to pay VRT.
    It matters not whether it is for offroad use or not, but as K-Tric states above fly under the radar.

JohnBoy is right, VRT is only "legal" in the EU because it's "not" an importation tax it is a tax to put a registration plate on a vehicle. If he is buying it new he has two options, 1 is that he buys it from here online or over the phone in which case I think the 21% VAT is payed as the goods are destined for Ireland at the higher rate, option 2 is that he goes to the UK in person and then pays the 17 1/2 percent rate and simply brings it back with him, in both cases there is nothing revenue can do about it as he is simply moving goods (which he will not require to be road legal) from one EU state to another. The same would apply to a scrambler and the same would apply if I was to import say a 2nd hand Golf GTI worth 20,000 but would not be running it on the road and requiring plates (eg if it was to take parts from and put into another car).

If it is for off-road use, how does one move it from one field to another?
    Litcagral wrote:
    Just while I'm here does anyone know what the six-wheel ATVs are called?
    ATVs? :D But no doubt someone will either call them either a hex- or a sex-
    CJhaughey wrote:
    It matters not whether it is for offroad use or not, but as K-Tric states above fly under the radar. I am speaking from personal experience.
    And look where Ben Dunne got you! ;)

Victor wrote:

On a trailer, obviously...

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah. Sure.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Victor wrote:

Or from one scummy housing estate to another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Yeah. Sure.

Hey Victor, strange as it may seem some people that buy quads, you`ll find can also afford a trailer.
    Or from one scummy housing estate to another?

Liitle bit of begrudgery being detected here laddies? Not jealous are we. Ive a Honda Fourtrax and i use it round the farm and i fly it up and down my road aswell. Whos gonna stop me! Didnt bother making it road legal even though all it costs is shillings. Theres no Vrt to be paid on it. Just need indicators and agrigultural tax **** that i wouldnt bother paying.

You just insure it under an FBD farm policy in case some skanger from dublin comes down the country and steels it.

Victor again:
    I've heard something that quad bikes aren't street legal here? Something about the rear
    wheels operate in unison not with differential(?).
    Yeah, whatever,,,, us quad owners will continue to have fun, you keep being an anorak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

CJhaughey wrote:
    I am afraid not JohnBoy.

I'm afraid so Charlo, it's called vehicle registration tax for a reason, it's the charge that's applied when you register a vehicle. For use on the highways of ireland. If you don't ever intend taking it onto the road, then you don't have to register it, therefore you don't have to tax it. it's no different to a powered wheelbarrow in that case.

My personal experience on these things is ask five different people in the VRO the same question and you'll get five different answers, they even manage same for simple yes/no questions.

Victor..... a) not all farmers have their land in separate blocks, some have it all in one chunk and wouldn't need to go onto the road.

b) if you have any appreciable distance to travel, you'll tend to use a trailer. been there done that, after the novelty wears off tearing round with flies in your mouth/eyes very quickly and even better is if you have a quad trailer (for the quad to pull) that your quad fits into, load up with stakes and wire, or meal or whatever, drive the quad in on top, and drive on with the whole lot behind your chosen tow vehicle.

way handier

Advertisement