Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a Car with UK plates

Options
  • 26-12-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Ok Im thinking of bringing in a car from the UK Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quatto or Saab 93 Diesel, Im just wondering is there anyway in not paying the duty on this or how long can I escape not paying the duty, I will only be using the car @ weekends and it will be garaged all week, so it wont been seem much on the roads.. I have priced paying duty on a Saab 93 THE VRT is about 9000k just to change the plate to a Irish one, I reckon the car would drive perfectly on a UK plate for that price :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How are you going to insure it? Most insurers will only insure you on a UK plate for 30 days, enough time to register it in Ireland.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

yes I plan to ensure this car , is there a way I can use an english compant to ensure this car even tough it will remain in Ireland

No. You have to be resident in the UK to have a UK insurance policy. I know Quinn will insure you on UK plates for 30 days after purchase to facilitate people importing cars, but if you don't send them a copy of the VRT certificate within 30 days your insurance is void.

If you try and cheat the system and you have a crash, you will be F*CKED. You could end up in jail for insurance fraud alone.

As a matter of interest, how old are you?
    Insurance on an Audi Quattro is going to be mega money if you're under 25. It sounds like you haven't thought this through at all.

Again, don't buy a car you can't legally afford to own or drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

How long do you have to be a res in the Uk before you dont have to pay the vrt

Im 26 this is only a diesel 4x4 A4, I know friends driving cars over here for over 2 years on UK plates, the like of Honda Type R Civics and 325i BMW's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

i wonder if you do try to do this will you be posting back when customs seize the car and take it off you?

remember too if the car is under 6 months old you will also have to pay vat

i know but I think its crazt to just give 10k to the Revenue just to change the plates,, dont ye ?

How long do you have to be a res in the Uk before you dont have to pay the vrt

You have to be resident in the UK and the registered owner of the vehicle for 6 months before you can bring it into Ireland without having to pay VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Job, i am moving to england for 3 years next year will invest in a nice Car for myself..

tech wrote:
    i know but I think its crazt to just give 10k to the Revenue just to change the plates,, dont ye ?

Yes it is crazy money but IT'S THE LAW!

You're a very immature 26 year old if you think you have the right to drive a car illegally just so you can save ten grand.

Your friends who are driving here for two years on UK plates aren't insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

eth0_ wrote:
    Your friends who are driving here for two years on UK plates aren't insured.

There also extremly lucky to still have there cars,Vrt has to be paid by the next working day so i dunno how there getting away with it for that long without having the car seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Iv been driving an English reg car since early September. I am in the process of getting it registered here. My insurance company has me covered fully. I reckon you could drive a car here for a long time before getting caught unless you are very unlucky. I dont condone this but how could the government implement an efficient system to stop it? I dont think they can.

kc66 wrote:
    Iv been driving an English reg car since early September. I am in the process of getting it registered here. My insurance company has me covered fully. .

Just because they haven't come after you looking for your new certificate of ownership doesn't mean you're 'covered fully'.

Lots of insurers cover learner drivers without having a clause to say they must be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times (as is the law), but will they stand by that if you write off your car and/or kill someone?

eth0_ wrote:
    Just because they haven't come after you looking for your new certificate of ownership doesn't mean you're 'covered fully'.

I double checked and I am covered. Maybe its because they have been informed I am in the process of importing the car?
    You cant compare learner drivers to this because as far as Im aware there is no law stating that they will cover you for 30 days and no longer under british plates. That is just the policy the insurance companies hold. The learner drivers issue is law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sigh...why do some poeple think the laws apply to everyone else except them?

Mike.

I dont understand? I am getting the car imported. I am paying the VRT. It is the system the gov has in place that is slowing things down in this case. I need to drive to get to work (80 miles per day) and pay my taxes every month. So what do you mean?

Hi Just wondering what kind of Car did you import, if you dont mind me asking
    and do you believe you mad a good enough saving?

Its only a 1991 E30 BMW so VRT is cheap. I bought it for 1/3 the price they are being sold for here. Its like new with less than 100,000 miles and FSH. Got a good bargain though

Nice 1 I was checking out the Duty your have to pay on some cars and its crazy considering all your doing is changing the plates, I still reckon they drive every bit as good on the Uk Plates :)

kc66 wrote:
    I dont understand? I am getting the car imported. I am paying the VRT.

Nearly four months since you bought it and you haven't bothered or can't afford to register the car in Ireland?

Please. You are breaking the law.
    And don't bleat on about 'the system', that's bullsh*t. You can go to the motor tax office the day you buy your car and get all the paperwork done, I know several people who've done this after buying a car up North.

"You must register your car and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival into Ireland.

Any delay in registering your vehicle or paying Vehicle Registration Tax will make you liable to substantial penalties - including forfeiture of your vehicle and prosecution.

You must display the registration number within three days. Failure to display the new registration number is an offence and you can be fined by An Garda Siochana (the Irish police force)"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kc66 wrote:
    I dont understand? I am getting the car imported. I am paying the VRT. It is the system the gov has in place that is slowing things down in this case. I need to drive to get to work (80 miles per day) and pay my taxes every month. So what do you mean?

Sorry, I was refering to tech.

Mike.

Its a long story. The latest hold up is with the DVLA in Swansea. Waiting on them 3 weeks now and they tell me it will be at least another week.

mike65 wrote:
    Sorry, I was refering to tech.

Mike.

Oh sorry. I agree with you tbh

eth0_ wrote:
    Nearly four months since you bought it and you haven't bothered or can't afford to register the car in Ireland?

Please. You are breaking the law.
    And don't bleat on about 'the system', that's bullsh*t. You can go to the motor tax office the day you buy your car and get all the paperwork done, I know several people who've done this after buying a car up North.

"You must register your car and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival into Ireland.

Any delay in registering your vehicle or paying Vehicle Registration Tax will make you liable to substantial penalties - including forfeiture of your vehicle and prosecution.

You must display the registration number within three days. Failure to display the new registration number is an offence and you can be fined by An Garda Siochana (the Irish police force)"

I know all this but I have no choice but to drive it. I cant afford another car. The last owner lost the log book- the delay is getting a new one. Also I didn't know the system in the beginning and the dope in the VROffice didn't seem to know much more when I visited them twice. Got no reply from emails. Had to do my own research. Anyway Im not going to go on about it. Im trying to get it sorted. Hopefully will have Irish plates soon. Enough said.
    Sorry tech for sorta hijacking ur thread.
    Edit: You cant go straight to the tax office before getting sorted in the VRO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

mike65 wrote:
    Sigh...why do some poeple think the laws apply to everyone else except them?
    Mike.
    I guess its an Irish thing that built up after people found out the people who implement and enforce the laws evade them.

Its not what you know but how high up the guy is that you know who will sort it for you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Tech I have to pay over €500 a year to tax my 2l car, what makes you so special that you think you don't have to pay the vrt so won't be paying road tax either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

tech wrote:
    Nice 1 I was checking out the Duty your have to pay on some cars and its crazy considering all your doing is changing the plates, I still reckon they drive every bit as good on the Uk Plates :)

You are not just changing the plates, you are importing it into the country and registering here. Which bit do you not understand. I have never read so much rubbish - I'll only be driving it at the weekends. Yes they'll be bringing in a special 'sunday driver' tax class next for you. The law applies to everyone, you are no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

jesus lads no need to string the guy up.i live here and have brought a few cars in from the north before they called it vrt.cant remember what it was called then but when the eu told the irish goverment it was illegal they brought out this vrt rubbish.so much for having free trade in the euro zone.

we all pay taxes in some form or another but in all honesty the motorist is getting shafted here right left and center.you buy a car you pay vat you pay vrt you pay road tax and after paying all that they charge 70 % tax on petrol,its a pure joke what us irish motorists pay.the goverment seems to think that having a car is a luxury rather than the fact that nowadays a car is a nesesity (sry bout the spellin,mabey too much beer...lol)

/end of rant

/me goes to pack my bags and head for the states

I think we're perfectly entitled to our opinions on this guy, fli. He seems to think he's above the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

Whats the situation for a dual passport holder regarding VRT? For example say I hold an Irish passport and a british one and I live in Ireland, if I buy a car in the UK and present myself to the VRT offices with my UK passport would I still need to prove I had been living there for 6 months to avoid VRT?

Advertisement