Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Hdtv come down in the new year?

• 26-12-2005 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I am on the market for a 32in lcd hdtv tv was wondering will they be comin down in the new year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Give it till June/July after then they should start coming down. I also so want a 32in LCD HDTV for my xbox 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah will i will be getting my overtime that i am doin christmas(Was working Xmas day/today/New years, so will come out to about a grand will spend 1100 max ish i no you can get a few from komplett, just wondering will they drop in price a bit... my 360 is screamin out for one/

Ya I played the 360 on my mates HDTV there last Thursday and all I can say is that its stunning. There is such a massive difference its not even funny like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Whats your Budget?Those dell ones were good value but i want a 32 rather than a 26 bigger the better...

Oh ya same here, but I am going to wait till the Summer till I get a bit of dosh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Currys will have a few under €1200 in the sales starting today. One of them being an LG, dunno the model, but theres a good picture off them.

ALL samsung 26 and 32 inch LCD's got recalled last week. Manufacturing defects. Don't buy one if you see them anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Currys are selling the HD LG 32" for 1299. No reduction in price. Power City have it for the same price but with 5% reduction. Big WOO! Dixons have it for the same price and so do DID. Was nearly suckered into buying one there today. Having been to all the other stores I saw it in DID for 1169. Grand, says I, I'll have that. Just as I was about to hand over the money I asked it it was the HD ready one and was told no, that was 1299. It looks exactly the same but obviously has a different model no. around the back. Be careful, these HD sets are not reduced anywhere. If you see one that looks too good to be true, it probably is!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Jammer wrote:
    ALL samsung 26 and 32 inch LCD's got recalled last week. Manufacturing defects. Don't buy one if you see them anywhere.

Have you any links to back up this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

byte wrote:
    Have you any links to back up this?
    yeah as i have one but i didnt buy it from currys.

i heard a while back that there is a resistor that may blow for some unknown reason, so that maybe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Surely it's not worthwhile buying a HDTV at this point, given that no HDTV standard has been adopted in this country apart from the one Sky Digital plans to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Bloke on newstalk today,pc engineer from computerdoctor company, says NEVER,never get any lcd as your main tv,they suffer from stuck pixels problem and the picture quality is significantly lower than plasma,if u have that kind of money get a plasma with dvi connector,i think id go for a 32inch crt at present ,cos anything u get now,will be absolete when true hd tvs come out. i think lcds have problems keeping up with films like star wars with fast moving action scenes and special effects.if u cant afford plasma get a name brand crt,like panasonic,grundig.I would not bother buying a tv now less than 28inch widescreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

gamer wrote:
    Bloke on newstalk today,pc engineer from computerdoctor company, says NEVER,never get any lcd as your main tv,they suffer from stuck pixels problem and the picture quality is significantly lower than plasma,if u have that kind of money get a plasma with dvi connector,i think id go for a 32inch crt at present ,cos anything u get now,will be absolete when true hd tvs come out. i think lcds have problems keeping up with films like star wars with fast moving action scenes and special effects.if u cant afford plasma get a name brand crt,like panasonic,grundig.I would not bother buying a tv now less than 28inch widescreen.

tbh I don't believe that. Plasma screens imho are more accident prone for that than LCDs, I mean just put both screens flat on their face and see which one works afterwards.
    I just got myself the philips 26pf9320 for my bedroom and have to say it's an amazing screen. also use it as my main PC monitor now with a native res of 1280x768. have been running some HD WMV movies on it and the quality is superb.

paid just over 1100 for it from pixmania as DID tried to seel me the previous, non HD ready model of it for more money

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Plasma can never produce as good a resolution as LCD in my opinion. Most plasma sets I've seen are duller to look at than some decent LCD's.

I've been told that Sony have stopped making plasma TV's, and indeed stopped making WEGA CRT TV's. That's their way of forcing LCD buying!

I think most HD signals will now use the HDMI port, but, I personally won't be buying one for another year or so, once I see what the market (and more importantly, the broadcasters) have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Whatever you buy you should consider what the PQ is like rather than just getting a HDTV as cheap as possible. Sky have not announced when they will roll out HDTV in Ireland yet. Listening to a guy on Today FM Last word and he was at a sky press conference and when asked about Ireland they would not commit to anything. That says a lot when they have said they are rolling out next Feb or so in the UK. Remember how long it has taken sky+ to become affordable in Ireland since it was rolled out in UK!
    I am buying new TV tomorrow - Sharp LC37P50 for 1900 euro, 32' is less than 1000 euro now I think. It gives a great sky picture and DVD playback and reports are good for HD images on it via HDMI connector (even though it won't be full resolution it was hard to tell it apart from full resolution). At the minute there are very few TVs that will give true HDTV resolution without scaling of some sort. This will have an impact no matter what screen you get.

there will always be pros and cons with any type of tv, its just a matter of personal preference.
    Ive had my Samsung 32" HDTV lcd, since mid november and the only fault on it is 1 stuck pixel at the bottom right, stuck on green, but to see it you have to go really up close to see it.

Yes CRT is the best picture, best blacks etc, but the space it takes up is what put me off me buying one again.

for best picture quality ,i,d get a name brand crt 32inch widescreen, u can get hd ready 1 crt with dvi if u have 2grand,what happens if u get 2k lcd and theres a stuck pixel in the middle.maybe in 12months there will be real hd tvs for sale,,why spend 2k now ,i dont think a hd ready tv is the real thing.

gamer wrote:
    i dont think a hd ready tv is the real thing.

What do you mean?

mine says HD ready, but the whole reason it has that is so consumers know that it can display HD pictures at the proper HD resolution, and has atleast a dvi (with HDCP) and/or HDMI

Some people say real HD is 1080i, but why go for that here when europe is going for 720p

1080i is only noticable on screens 60" and up, like a 100" projector screen

I presume u can use hd 1080i resolution for xbox 360 ,ps3 ,pcs and high definition blue ray hd dvd players when they come out on 2006,AND SKY will be broadcasting in hd in 2006.

There selling 32in crts secondhand name brand, in costcutters thomas street 4 about 350euro secondhand with gaurantee,3months i think.with nicam, stereo and 3av connectors.

Sparky-s wrote:
    What do you mean?

mine says HD ready, but the whole reason it has that is so consumers know that it can display HD pictures at the proper HD resolution, and has atleast a dvi (with HDCP) and/or HDMI

Some people say real HD is 1080i, but why go for that here when europe is going for 720p

1080i is only noticable on screens 60" and up, like a 100" projector screen

don't think that 1080i will be interesting for large screens due to the fact that the picture is interlaced.
    If you are going for a 60 to 100 inch system, you should make sure it can do 1080p (progressive scanning) otherwise you will defo experience flickering.

imho as sparky said, 720p is more than enough at the moment and the reason the EU is putting it in place is due the to bandwidth which is required to deliver 1080i or higher, (read it is as 19.6 Mbps :eek: ) and as Ireland for example hasn't even got that in Broadband terms, it would be a joke to implement it as standard.

And yes, the 'HDready' sticker is only put on to screens which are able to display this res and also have at least two of the HD connectors, be it HDMI DVI-D etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

byte wrote:
    I've been told that Sony have stopped making plasma TV's, and indeed stopped making WEGA CRT TV's. That's their way of forcing LCD buying!

Sony Still make one Plasma...it's a 50" Bravia......... and that's because LCD's in that size are too expensive to produce and buy
    They've stopped making CRT's because they converted their CRT factories to LCD Production and not many people want CRT's as their too expensive to make HD compatible. They're not "Forcing LCD buying" they're meeting demand........it also has another name........."progress"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Ru wrote:
    Sony Still make one Plasma...it's a 50" Bravia......... and that's because LCD's in that size are too expensive to produce and buy
    They've stopped making CRT's because they converted their CRT factories to LCD Production and not many people want CRT's as their too expensive to make HD compatible. They're not "Forcing LCD buying" they're meeting demand........it also has another name........."progress"

They stopped making Plasma because they made a mess of their launch of Plasma - they came out with ugly Plasma's that didn't perform against the Pioneers, Panasonic and Hitachi's. Sony lost serious market share and THAT is the reason they moved to LCD.........not as you call it: progress

Maxwell wrote:
    They stopped making Plasma because they made a mess of their launch of Plasma - they came out with ugly Plasma's that didn't perform against the Pioneers, Panasonic and Hitachi's. Sony lost serious market share and THAT is the reason they moved to LCD.........not as you call it: progress

If what you say is true, who still make's 32" PDP's or even a 37" ??? no-one......

They moved to LCD because they are now cheaper to make, easier to construct panels with a higher resolution, last twice as long as a plasma, suffer no image burn and have a backlight........
    Liquid Crystals are easier and cheaper to produce than Plasma gas which is a mixture of xenon (or xeon, i can't remember) and neon gasses.
    I'm no huge fan of Sony and TS1 and TS2 (the first plasmas) were crap.
    ALL manufacturers will stop making PDP's within the next 3 years.
    LCD itself will be replaced within 5 - 7 years(at most).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭gavnolan

AFAIK, Liquid Crystal on silicon (LCOS) are not being made, i know Intel were going into this market but pulled the plug on it cos it was too expensive...

gavnolan wrote:
    AFAIK, Liquid Crystal on silicon (LCOS) are not being made, i know Intel were going into this market but pulled the plug on it cos it was too expensive...

Have you heard any more on OLED???

This is the last thing i read on it...

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-6033_16-4207725.html

LCD will cover mainly people up to 32" - anyone looking for larger screens will most likely go plasma. Both technologies have their pro's and con's and it makes me mad when most people will side with one over the other.....and that is because they have bought one or the other.

I have an LCD and a Plasma, so Im neutral........well not really, a projector wins everytime!!

The biggest threat to Plasma and LCD will be OLED and SED, but that is at least 5 years away and it remains to be seen whether OLED can be economically and reliably made in the sizes needed for large-screen TVs.

but OLED is a light source and not a screen typ afaik, so how can it compete with LCD or Plasma?

I am still not sure which one will dominate but they seem to be selling in harmony to eachother.
    the benefits from LCD are defo the power consumption on comparison to Plasma

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the benefits from LCD are defo the power consumption on comparison to Plasma

Is there anywhere that people can compare? Im not really bothered by the power consumption of the plasma as there hasn't been any increase in my bills since it arrived - it certainly doesn't use as much as a dryer.

But I would be interested - anyone know if there is a comparison site etc?

Gilgamesh wrote:
    but OLED is a light source and not a screen typ afaik, so how can it compete with LCD or Plasma?
    Maybe Im wrong, but for example Plasma screen work on gas etc and the Oled screen will work on light source - the will be marketed as different types of screen technoloy, therefore competing with each other?:confused:

• Advertisement

Maxwell wrote:
    Maybe Im wrong, but for example Plasma screen work on gas etc and the Oled screen will work on light source - the will be marketed as different types of screen technoloy, therefore competing with each other?:confused:

Plasma uses a gas that is dyed red, green and blue for each consecutive pixel. They are then individually electrified and that causes them to generate heat and light.

LCD uses basically the same concept; however LCD's aren’t anywhere near as bright as plasma so they are helped with a backlight.

OLED was/is being developed because, it like LCD, is an advancement of older technology. The whole point of it was that they would not need any backlight, generate nearly no heat and therefore not consume as much power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

According to the good people at Engadget, the "must-have" screen technology is SED, or Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display. Think of it as CRT type technology but with one electron gun for each phosphor pixel. So CRT brightness and blackness, with LCD resolutions, at plasma sizes.

Start saving the euros now.

More at
    http://www.canon.com/technology/display/index.html
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

yes truly the tv revolution is moving very fast at the moment with all these technologies, but sure im just waiting to hear of a 3D tv/projection system to be brought to the masses in a few years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Reading up on SED, I think it will be middle of 2007 before we see it in Europe and even then it will be hyper expensive. Also there is an issue with the PAL standard in Europe which broadcasts at 50hz, SED will support the 60hz of the US, but running at 50 hz you will get flicker, so they will have to employ 100hz type technology to get around it.

Rgds

Snake ;)

Sparky-s wrote:
    but sure im just waiting to hear of a 3D tv/projection system to be brought to the masses in a few years :D

The last i heard of 3D was that Philips have been working on fo rthe past 13 years. I've also hears that the reason they have spent so long without giving up is that the Adult Entertainment Industry have been investing heavily in it.

Also Sony gave a working Demonstration of 3D at their annual trade show in Japan 2 years ago

Advertisement