Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Hdtv come down in the new year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

According to the good people at Engadget, the "must-have" screen technology is SED, or Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display. Think of it as CRT type technology but with one electron gun for each phosphor pixel. So CRT brightness and blackness, with LCD resolutions, at plasma sizes.

Start saving the euros now.

More at
    http://www.canon.com/technology/display/index.html
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yes truly the tv revolution is moving very fast at the moment with all these technologies, but sure im just waiting to hear of a 3D tv/projection system to be brought to the masses in a few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Reading up on SED, I think it will be middle of 2007 before we see it in Europe and even then it will be hyper expensive. Also there is an issue with the PAL standard in Europe which broadcasts at 50hz, SED will support the 60hz of the US, but running at 50 hz you will get flicker, so they will have to employ 100hz type technology to get around it.

Rgds

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Sparky-s wrote:
    but sure im just waiting to hear of a 3D tv/projection system to be brought to the masses in a few years :D

The last i heard of 3D was that Philips have been working on fo rthe past 13 years. I've also hears that the reason they have spent so long without giving up is that the Adult Entertainment Industry have been investing heavily in it.

Also Sony gave a working Demonstration of 3D at their annual trade show in Japan 2 years ago

Advertisement