Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting PC To TV

• 26-12-2005 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I recently got surround sound speakers for my PC, and I was thinking about trying to hook up my PC to my TV so the sound from my TV comes out through my surround sound speakers. I have a TV Out port on my PC.
    Anyone got any suggestions on how I could do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you've got a good TV then you should hopefully have audio out ports (L and R) around the back somewhere. Then you just need a 3.5mm Stereo Jack to Phono cable, like such, and connect it to the Line In port on your soundcard/mobo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I doubt you will get sourround sound from just a L&R audio output coming from the TV.

Is the actual sound card sourround or are all the connectors on the sub woofer? AFAIK, each speaker would require a separate audio signal from your TV for centre, front L&R, rear L&R, sub etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

humaxf1 wrote:
    I doubt you will get sourround sound from just a L&R audio output coming from the TV.
    Pro Logic is encoded in a stereo stream using only two channels. The PC soundcard can decode this into 4.0 surround sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for the replies. I got it working by connecting the cable (red & white plugs) that MrPink suggested into my DVD player and the other end into my sound card and it works just fine.
    Is it possible to connect your PC to TV and use the TV screen as the monitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

stephen p wrote:
    Is it possible to connect your PC to TV and use the TV screen as the monitor?
    No. You can connect it up alright and play video from the pc on the tv. However, the quality of the desktop image you will see on your tv screen will be degraded by comparison ie. not readable. Maybe once HD tvs hit the mass market, this will be possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement