Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESRI and property doomsday

Options
  • 26-12-2005 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised nobody has been talking about this on here over the last two weeks.

Will the ESRI be left with egg on their face given their predictions on the Irish property market. If they are, what confidence can we ever have in their figures ever again, indeed what use are they at all?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

eh. they have been saying more or less the same thing for years.
    I think their chief economist said " I'm going to keep saying it till it happens" I think doomsday predictions are getting a bit less coverage because its like the boy who cries wolf. truth is nobody knows whats gonna happen.
    who would have predicted last year that prices will go up 10% this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cantab. wrote:
    Will the ESRI be left with egg on their face
    No. On their face will probably be a splatter of sh*t from a flying pig.

They are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

muffler wrote:

or in Michael O'Leary words, as useful as a condom in a convent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mentalson wrote:
    who would have predicted last year that prices will go up 10% this year.
    and will probably continue that way for at least another 2-3 years I'm guessing. Only a recession or a hike by about 2% in interest rates will curb the rise in house prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

muffler wrote:
    No. On their face will probably be a splatter of sh*t from a flying pig.

The ESRI do some excellent research and their findings in this report are exactly what one would expect from logical economists such as the Central Bank, ECB, IMF and OECD who all in varying degrees see the same thing happening.

Unfortunately all of the above are thinking rationally and drawing from International experience and wisdom.

For what will happen in the Irish market look no further than the film 'The Field' as a society Ireland is land mad. Regardless of what is happening in other investment markets the typical punter here can no further than property and typically residential property. Despite the hyper-inflation in both rental and capital values over the past 11 years there does not seem to be an end in sight to the rise in property values.

However when it does come there will be a lot of blood on the floor and the higher it goes the more blood there will be. My own investments rose nearly 40% this year and paid nearly 5% in dividends. They could equally face a meltdown at some future date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thomond has it right - economists draw logical conclusions, assuming the market is also logical. If the market is behaving illogically (prices going up while rents go down), you can't expect economists to became behaviourologists in trying to figure out group property mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Ah what do the experts know,you can't lose i'm tellin ya !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

everyone here wants to own not just there own properties but another for rental, the irish ARE land crazy for sure, it probably is fools gold in some/many parts of the property market, but there is still value out there for those who know anything about property..

lomb wrote:
    everyone here wants to own not just there own properties but another for rental, the irish ARE land crazy for sure, it probably is fools gold in some/many parts of the property market, but there is still value out there for those who know anything about property..

Yes,lets all hope for the day when everyone in ireland owns a second property,sure we'll all be rich then.:D

The problem with your theory Luke is that one market segment i.e. residential of one sector i.e. real estate absorbs all the risk capital available to the market. The result of this is that there is no risk based capital for anything else such as

1> Technology
    2> Commercial Property
    3> Service industry
    4> Leisure

If the one market segment collapses there are no profits or in the case of residential property no tenants hence 100% of the liability with none of the income to clear the debt.

My advice to anyone wishing to get involved in property investment is to look towards some of the larger property funds with broad geographical spread that are not tied to one sector ie residential, offices, retail or industrial. Some of the better funds have returned 30% p.a. over the past two years and pay dividends.

• Advertisement

Thomond Pk wrote:
    The problem with your theory Luke is that one market segment i.e. residential of one sector i.e. real estate absorbs all the risk capital available to the market. The result of this is that there is no risk based capital for anything else such as

1> Technology
    2> Commercial Property
    3> Service industry
    4> Leisure

If the one market segment collapses there are no profits or in the case of residential property no tenants hence 100% of the liability with none of the income to clear the debt.

My advice to anyone wishing to get involved in property investment is to look towards some of the larger property funds with broad geographical spread that are not tied to one sector ie residential, offices, retail or industrial. Some of the better funds have returned 30% p.a. over the past two years and pay dividends.

Eh,what theory ?:confused:

That everyone will invest in both a first and second property

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes,lets all hope for the day when everyone in ireland owns a second property,sure we'll all be rich then.:D
    But who will live in this second property? There will be no tenants, because everyone owns their own home. There would be a glut in the market and prices would drop hugely .....

Remember that some people will be perfectly happy selling off that apartment they bought in 1990 for £30,000 for say .... €150,000. Hows your negative equity then?

Victor wrote:
    But who will live in this second property? There will be no tenants, because everyone owns their own home. There would be a glut in the market and prices would drop hugely .....

Remember that some people will be perfectly happy selling off that apartment they bought in 1990 for £30,000 for say .... €150,000. Hows your negative equity then?

Ah i know,that's my point i was being sarcastic above.

Check out this thread for my view on the housing madness.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054866932

Advertisement