Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank Firing Pistol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

this has been covered on the forum a number of times. a quick search should give you all the info you need.

a friend of mine bought one in dublin last year, but the dealer wouldn't hand it over until he had a letter / form from the gardai with the serial number etc on it. not a permit as such, more a form of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

i have read the other thread you are speaking of but it seems to have a difference of opinion on the legality of them.

I wanted to know that if i had imported it and it was posted clear and free to me would it be classed as an illegal firearm even though it cannot and will never be able to fire live rounds?

Also is there an age restricition on blank firing gun ownership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

I would avoid odering anything from that site guns2u.It is an entrapment site!!
    It was mentioned on cybershooters that somone got stung badly on it.IE they orderd a blank firer and passed the transaction details to the UK police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

"Starting pistols
    Applications for a firearms certificate for a starting pistol, (used to signal the start of an athletic event) can be obtained from the Superintendent of your police district through your local Garda Station. You will be required to complete an application form in the presence of the Garda on duty who will forward your application to the Superintendent and make recommendations on your application. The Superintendent will grant or refuse your application. Starting pistols do not carry ammunition and there is no charge for this licence. "
    Quote from dept justice site given age and the fact you want it because it looks "cool" the super may not grant it.

@Clare gunner : Do you know of anywhere in Dublin or online where I would be able to purchase the blank firing replicas or even the deactivated pistols?

@Scout : I see but what about deactivated pistols? And do you know of the age restriction? Is it 16? What if my Father registered it under his name though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

They have also (allegedly) been licenced for the purpose of 'dog training.'
    i.e. getting gundogs used to the loud sudden noise, without the obvious problems associated with discharging a real firearm.

The big fear with these things is that they look and sound the same as real guns, and short of actually firing a projectile, they can be used by the unscrupulous for exactly the same purpose- armed robbery and intimidation.
    As far as I know, carrying/brandishing a 'gun like object' during a crime carries the same penalties as using a real one, though I've never heard of anyone being charged with/convicted of this.

There is also a fear (based on a grain of truth) that they might be converted to fire live ammunition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

[QUOTE=Centimental
    @Scout : I see but what about deactivated pistols? And do you know of the age restriction? Is it 16? What if my Father registered it under his name though?[/QUOTE]

Not to sure about deactivated but they may be reactivated and gardai may be wary of this

Proibly 16 same as ordinary friearm cert

If you dad regestered you chould not use it

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWeb/pcJUSQ5YBJWM-en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

My brother recently ordered a starting pistol and blanks from these guys:

http://www.battleorders.co.uk/

Sent it no problem and it arrived without difficulty in a padded brown envelope.

You might have trouble with bigger items that are send by recorded delivery as they tend to mark the contents which might ring some alarm bells.

It's very loud incidently, he has shot at me repeatedly:)

OTOH the more modern blank firers could be possibly classed as firearms here in Ireland because they come supplied with a flare launcer cup.The flares are launched by the blank and can travel up to 100 meters.They are very common on the Continent around new years eve.But then are flare pistols liscensed here as they are classified as life saving equipment??Not to mind that you can also buy CS gas blanks on the continent as well for your blank firer.Which would put it under the prohibited weapon section of the FA.
    So it is up to you what you do with the blank firer.One thing it will not do is fire live ammo.The metal is a pot metal alloy on a blank firerer.You remove any lining,or posts in the barrel,it will cease to function.You would be better off building a zip gun than converting a blank firerer.Proably safer too.
    Deacts
    A properly deacted firearm,is nothing more than a very high tech and clumsy club.The rule of thumb should be that it cannot be reconverted to live fire by an average person using common household tools[US defination].IE most of us are not skilled machineists with a lathe and milling machine in the tool shed.
    Andif you are that qualified,you can proably rustle up a full auto SMG in short order anyway alot quicker than mucking about with a deact.
    If you look at the illegal deacts/reacts used in crime in gangland shootings,you will find that they have been reacted by bent gunsmiths in the UK,not by your average gurrier here.Again it is a very nebulous area here,you are by rights supposed to have a liscense for them,yet in some cases the gardai dont seem to be too concerned about them if you are already liscensed to own a real firearm.If however you are a jack the lad type who wouldnt be adverse to showing it off in the pub,it might be a different story.
    Then importing one here legally is a nonsense as well.The DOJ want to ballistacally test them!!!!!!How they manage that feat is beyond all of us here.
    It seems to be here if you wnt to do anything right,you will have every obstacle put in your way.Want to do it illegally,go ahead,just dont be caught doing it.

@blobert : The prices there are definately alot dearer than "guns2u.com" and they also have a smaller selection. Do u know what postage costs and how long ago did ur bro get his pistol?

@Clare gunner: can deactivated firearms still funtion like real ones like cocking it ,releasing the magazine etc. I know that the barrel cannot fire live rounds.

@Anyone else : Does anyone else know of any other places to buy modern semi-automatic pistol "replicas" or "blank firing" or even "prop guns"

• Advertisement

To answer you centimental;
    It depends on who did the deactivation.Using the UK specs there are two types old spec and new spec deacts.This refers to a type of deactivation carreid out by the UK proof houses.
    The old spec deacts can be stripped,cocked,fired,and mags relesae,revolver chambers are usually not sealed,just drilled out,mags can usually be compleate.Barrells will be pinned and drilled out numerous times.Bolt faces will be destroyed or welded over.Breeches will be welded shut.Also they will be more expensive to purchase.
    New spec will have all this and worse.They can be totally welded up,firing mechanisms can be also welded up or removed.Basically they are nothing more than fancy clubs.

There are also the prop guns made bysome Japanese companies that can pass here.They are like airfix kits[and feel the same],but fire caps.Do a google on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 geoseeker

I've ordered gear from this web site and after being sent a wrong item I wrote to explain their mistake, they asked me to post back the item for exchange and I did so by "Recorded Delivery" and after months of sending emails (most of which went unanswered) they never did send a replacement!
    A better site with 100% after sales service is http://www.modelguns.co.uk/
    They have great models and accessories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement