Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malcolm In The Middle replaced by Sky News Ireland...

• 26-12-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Who the hell decided this? Malcolm in the Middle was the only thing worth watching at 6:30...
    Sky's Irish bulletin to air on Sky One
    Boxing Day 2005, 17:52 GMT -- by Neil Wilkes

Sky News' Irish bulletin will simulcast on the localised version of Sky One from next month.

The 30-minute bulletin, anchored by Grainne Seoige, will replace Malcolm in the Middle on Sky One Ireland at 6.30pm on weekdays. The changes come in to effect from Monday, January 9.

The 10pm bulletin will air on Sky News Ireland only

(DigitalSpy.co.uk)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

urgh... isn't this what we've got sky news for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

That's what I thought myself...everyone who has Sky One already has Sky News...

Perhaps with a bit of luck, Malcolm In The Middle will emerge on Sky News at 6:30 :)? Goodness knows, it'd probably have more news than Sky "and now for our report on the missing penguin..." News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

seems like a desperate attempt to target early simspons watchers (malcolm fans will obviously turn off after a week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ah well. God bless my cousin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

wow. This just shows how bad things are for Sky News Ireland at the moment, I just don't imagine they'll pick up more viewers though, anyone that has Sky One has Sky News too, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh if I were at all bothered hearing about the humdrum horse-shíte that passes for news I'd be watching it on RTE anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Fuppin' baxtards! :mad: Sure 'MITM' is probably one of the last remaining reasons I watch Sky One at all. Apart from that, and maybe only a couple more programmes on the channel, Sky One is pretty crap as it is. And now they want to take away my 'Malcolm' dose just because Sky News Ireland is doing so badly and they're obviously so desperate to get viewers at this stage that they think transferring it over to the main Sky 'entertainment' channel will get those extra viewers to tune in to it. I'm afraid not! I think most will just switch off/switch over. I know I will and I'm afraid not even the allure of Miss Seoige will keep me watching because Sky News Ireland is just plain crap!

It seems to me that this is almost a last ditch attempt by the Sky News Ireland bosses to just delay the inevitable, i.e. the fact that it's doing so badly that it's only a matter of time before it's dropped. If anything, I think this will end up completely backfiring on them and rather than actually delaying the inevitable it will only mean it happens sooner. Personally, I give this exercise 6 months before it either leads to Sky News Ireland transferring back across to Sky News or it being dropped altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Is this repeats of Malcolm being replaced? When is the new series starting? Thats what Im interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't know about the new series of malcolm but they are always shown on sundays at 7pm so no chance of it replacing that :p

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As far as I know, people with Sky digital can go tune in Sky One UK, via Add Channels menu, it used to work anyway!

12285 V
    SR: 27.5
    FEC: 2/3

No good if you're on cable though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

but sky's flagship show live at five is also shown on sky three. they show sky movies show spotlight on sky news & any time there is a major news story sky news is shown on sky entertainment channels. don't understand how this shows that its about to go. if thats the case is jeremy thompson & live at 5 about to go aswell! i think not

Sky Three does not equal Sky One. Clearly Sky, in my opinion, are desperate to give this show any coverage possible.

...Do you have any idea what the ratings are/were like for Sky News Ireland tippguy? They were, at last check, actually *lower* than they previously were for just normal British Sky News in that slot...

EDIT: Actually, on viewing your previous posts, I'm just wondering if you have a vested interested in Sky News Ireland? You've jumped to its defence more than once now...?

yes i am defending it because i know its good. those ratings you have are over a year old. viewing figures have jumped dramatically in the last 12 months according to ac neilsen. you'd better get your facts straight before you speak!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

well thats great then! but if i want to watch it i'll watch it, if not i wont... simple as that, if sky put it on all their channels i'll just watch a different network!
    Its not like because its on Sky 1 as well as Sky News, I'm suddenly going to watch it!!!

tippguy wrote:
    yes i am defending it because i know its good. those ratings you have are over a year old. viewing figures have jumped dramatically in the last 12 months according to ac neilsen. you'd better get your facts straight before you speak!!

Fair enough. Dramatically? Care to show me your source/statistics? Just out of interest like. You seem to be awfully well informed, and you still haven't answered my question about having a vested interest...

I'd have to agree with limerick_man *falls over* :).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

tippguy wrote:

Ok, not trying to be hostile here but money where your mouth is, what are the Sky News Ireland ratings for this month and 12 months ago...?

As far as I can see from medialive.ie Sky News peak time shares have been

2003 - 1.2%
    2004 - 0.9%
    2005 - 1.1%

So to me that would suggest no dramatic changes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Sky news ireland isnt 3 yrs old!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Malcolm in the Middle was on Sky One at 6pm last night before the news so it's still being shown. Did they used to show 2 episodes of it from 6 to 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they do in the UK. the Irish version will be skipping an episode of series 6 every evening. i would like to know how many people are actually watching sky News Ireland through Sky One. the numbers are still small i'd say

well according to this weeks sunday world newspaper 'the twice nightly news bulletin is clearly on the up' and they ask the question how long they can hold on to seoige. a few weeks back the sunday independant had an interview with her and said how viewing figures were climbing dramatically. no unfortunatly i don't have any shares in sky guys but if i did i'd wudn't have te to go onto these forums

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

but it still doesnt say how many people watch it. i wonder what the viewing figures for RTÉ News, TV3 News and Sky News Ireland are like in multi channel homes that receive all three

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Sky news ireland isnt 3 yrs old!!!!

Well yeah but there aren't figures for Sky News Ireland out in the public so the only figures to go on are the peak time figures from medialive.ie.

Sky News Ireland is on twice during peak time so if Sky News Ireland figures have "increased dramatically" you'd expect that they would have had an effect on Sky News peak time in general... So if there was a dramatic increase you would expect that the figures from before Sky News Ireland started and after would be different... so I was just saying that this doesn't seem to be the case...

But since we don't have Sky News Ireland specific figures it's all just inference... anyone out there willing to provide them?

but nobody sits down and watch's news for hours on end so really the only reason thats peek time is because thats when most people are finished work and go home. it would be very hard to determine sky news ireland viewing figures with all the people that watch it internationally, on sky news active, on sky news itself and of course on sky one

Advertisement