Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22lr Handguns

Options
  • 26-12-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello all,

I was down in Pat Hayes shop in Mallow last week. He has A Walther P22 handgun in stock,semi-auto, in 22lr. A Walther P22. Spent some time handling it, and it really seems to be a nice gun. Anyone out there got one? A lot of comment on the internet says they are picky about ammo, and fail to feed. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

thanks,

mosulli4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

I too have heard that its one of those love it or hate it pistols. That and its small size is why I avoided it.

But that’s not from personal shooting experience.

Like yourself I've just pawed at one, I prefer .22 pistol to be the same weight and size of my main pistol so the training in .22 will feel more like a 9mm. A Sig mosquito is my personal choice but unfortunately its 1mm too evil to be legal in Canada.

I should add that feeding issues with any semi .22 is a common problem, you have to try lots O different ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

I have talked to people that never had a problem with the P-22. Others have had nothing but trouble.
    Mine, many problems but finally fixed. They are great shooters... when they work.

All in all get a Ruger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

mosulli4 wrote:
    I was down in Pat Hayes shop in Mallow last week. He has A Walther P22 handgun in stock

Get your hand's on a 9mm or .40 cal and you'll never go back to .22, I'll put money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Get your hand's on a 9mm or .40 cal and you'll never go back to .22, I'll put money on it.

Hmm, I've got a 9mm, and am hoping to get a .22 now as well, to help develop my marksmanship. I don't think it's a one or the other proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Riggser wrote:
    Depends on how badly the kick from the .40 breaks your fingers really :D Remember, the "the bigger the bang the better" philosophy conflicts even with proper practical pistol shooting philosophy Riggser - it's Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas, don't forget :) And as to ISSF shooting, well, 'nuff said really :D

And sod Ruger, they're a pain to clean. Get yourself a real pistol. Buy a Baikal IZH-35 :D (So good it's used - with more chrome/polish and nicer grips - as the basis for both the Walther KSP200 and the Feinwerkbau AW93):

AW93.jpg

Plus, it'll probably be the best cartridge pistol you ever buy from the price/performance viewpoint.

• Advertisement

OR

CZ Kadet:
    The CZ 75 Kadet conversion kit is a separate accessory for the CZ 75/85 pistol series allowing the firing of .22 LR caliber cartridges. The Kadet adapter features its own sights adjustable for elevation and windage, so the sighting-in of the pistol is not affected.. The kadet adapter will fit any CZ 75, 75B, 85 or 85B in any caliber. Some minor fitting may be required

CZ75Kadet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

The kadet adapter will fit any CZ 75, 75B, 85 or 85B in any caliber. Some minor fitting may be required

Unfortunatly ..in this neck of the woods .
    a seperate pistol licence for the adapter may also be needed..! :(

The CZ Kadet , can be purchased as a complete firearm , the cost difference
    between this and an adaptor to fit an existing CZ75/85 isn't huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Glock,Colt,,all have conversion kits for them by Johnathan Auther Ciener of Florida.Pretty reasonable too.Browning makes one for their HP as well.

BTW Ruger is one of the most reliable 22 pistols ever made.Not to mind in huge numbers as well.Just got to know how to clean it right.IE ,unload,take out mag,,jack and lock slide,take grips off and dunk the entire gun in solvent or gasoline.[no smoking] let sit awhile,while wet pick or toothbrush out the crud on the mechanism and in the battery area.Clean bore, use airline to dry off or let dry naturally. lightly lube working and outside parts.Re assemble.As recommended by an EX US SEAL who used one of the first gen Rugers as a "hush puppy"[dog &sentry removal] in two tours in Nam.This would have been in pre stainless days as well.So I reckon this treatment will work just fine with stainless models.
    Only thing that does need to be improved on them is better sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

mosulli4 wrote:
    Hello all,

I was down in Pat Hayes shop in Mallow last week. He has A Walther P22 handgun in stock,semi-auto, in 22lr. A Walther P22. Spent some time handling it, and it really seems to be a nice gun. Anyone out there got one? A lot of comment on the internet says they are picky about ammo, and fail to feed. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

thanks,

mosulli4
    ive bought all my guns Pat Hayes pet shop mallow :D
    how much was it for that pistol? online prices say around the $300 mark?
    wud love to c the look on my local gardi face if he saw an application for that... he only barely gave me an air-rifle (i no it goes to the super but im sure he can delay it and be awkward)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Hello all,

Thanks for all the replies and information...

I think the Walther was about €400...

Has anyone joined the Mallow club/range that Pat Hayes has started?

What are the facilities like?

thanks,

mosulli4

Anyone got a phone number or address for Pat Hayes pet shop???Dir enquiries is it's usual helpful self with no listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

pat hayes
    Country lifestyle unit C spa sq Mallow
    (022) 20121

Cheers RI:D
    happy new year to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

mosulli4 wrote:
    Hello all,

Thanks for all the replies and information...

I think the Walther was about €400...

Has anyone joined the Mallow club/range that Pat Hayes has started?

What are the facilities like?

thanks,

mosulli4

Same Pistol is €238 in Antrim advertised in An Consantor the Irish Defence forces magazine, I am considering getting one at that price to supplement the glock as it is a good all rounder and cheaper on ammo.

€400 IMHO is a rip off for such a weapon in that calibre even with all the paper work involved I rather cross the border and the Price about is not STG it was actually quoted in Euro for us.

Anyone fire the pistol here ??

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

My buddy has had one since September and has cycled thousands of various .22 since, I have only seen it jam once and have shot it numerous times myself. Lovely little gun, loadsa accesorys to collect. Great to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Also heard of Dublin area dealer offering them for under e300, cant remember who but can find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Please that would be great very interested in one

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

I'm with Babble on this one & have already put my name down for a Sig Mosquito!

@ Babble - cheers for the recent advice - I visited your recommended firing range in Calgary last week & they were brilliant. Even gave me a .45 Kimber & 25 free rounds to have a go!

Smirky wrote:
    I'm with Babble on this one & have already put my name down for a Sig Mosquito!

@ Babble - cheers for the recent advice - I visited your recommended firing range in Calgary last week & they were brilliant. Even gave me a .45 Kimber & 25 free rounds to have a go!

(hijack)
    I'm really glad you had a good time! TSE are a good bunch of guys. did you try anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

(small continuation of hijack)

@ Babble

100 rounds - Sig P226 in 9mm
    50 Rounds - H&K USP9 in 40
    50 Rounds - Kimber in 40
    25 Rounds - Kimber in 45

Had been skiing for the entire day before shooting, so hand could not take anymore! Will do the Uzi for the laugh & the rifles next time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Sparks wrote:
    Depends on how badly the kick from the .40 breaks your fingers really :D Remember, the "the bigger the bang the better" philosophy conflicts even with proper practical pistol shooting philosophy Riggser - it's Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas, don't forget :) And as to ISSF shooting, well, 'nuff said really :D

And sod Ruger, they're a pain to clean. Get yourself a real pistol. Buy a Baikal IZH-35 :D (So good it's used - with more chrome/polish and nicer grips - as the basis for both the Walther KSP200 and the Feinwerkbau AW93):

AW93.jpg

Plus, it'll probably be the best cartridge pistol you ever buy from the price/performance viewpoint.
    Bought the pictured Feinwerkbau pistol last summer.......pic of it in use during international comp in Fermoy on east coast shooting clubs web page......firing it two pawed tho ;-( .....budget price for new model approx 1600euro.....available from supplier in UK. seems to be getting the nose over morini...pardini etc. grip could do with some work as factory woodwork can be improved upon. EVERYTHING is adjustable.......sights.....recoil...muzzle flip....grip.....anyone wants to try it is welcome anytime ....anyhooo.....if ya want accuracy it's there......as for p22 ..... it' a bit of fun and a nice intro to pistol use......prone to all sorts of jams and hassel......don' expect acccuracy at that price either....

Vinniew

Vinniew wrote:
    budget price for new model approx 1600euro
    Of course, that's the AW93. Thing is, the AW is basicly an IZH-35 with some new grips and a bit of polishing. So you could just buy the '35 and do the polishing yourself - the pistol will still shoot as straight!
    grip could do with some work as factory woodwork can be improved upon.
    That's actually by design - the idea is that the grip you get is oversized so that you can cut away parts of the grip to fit your hand better, which is a bit easier than building it up with plastic wood (which isn't all that difficult, but cutting's just that little bit easier).

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Pat Hayes is actually looking for €450 for the P22.
    It comes with two barrels and an adapter for a moderator.

I had a feel off one and it's a nice gun but very small and light IMO.
    I'd still like to get one though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Have a look for a Beretta 87A , a much better purchase .

There's a good thread over on TargetTalk.org right now about comparing the AW93 to the IZH-35 for those interested:
    http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=55645

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Can agree with most of whats said...... BUT....the AW will cycle any ammo I've fed it.........unlike many of the guns I've seen in use at the club.
    Trigger is "infinitely" adjustable in comparison to anything else I've seen. As for recoil damping ....thats adjustable too. So far the only problem I've encountered was a mag being a bit sticky to fit .....possible due to me having ten thumbs....unfortunately during a competition.....but as I hadn't time to get used to the pistol or practice (had it a week!)with it, it still managed to give a good result.
    It's down to personal choice and what feels good at the end of the day, what disciplines you want to fire & how serious you are about competition......just worth remembering, in terms of quality & reliability...........you get what you pay for.

Vinniew

I've been doing some research in this area.

Frankonia sell the basic IZH-35m for €399, and a tuned/polished version for €649.

Ruger MK512 is €389 (€439 in stainless).

Feinwerkbau AW93 is €1389.

Hammerli X-esse Sport is €709, €439 for the standard version.

Walther P22 Target is €289 (€239 for std version).

Browning Buckmark is €439.

CZ75 Kadet is €599.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I'm obviously mistaken, (you say he has one in stock)? I understood you needed to import a pistol and dealers here couldn't stock them yet.

I'm not sure about the import situation, but once a firearm is in the country, there's nothing stopping anyone trading it in to a dealer, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

les45 wrote:
    Have a look for a Beretta 87A , a much better purchase .
    Is this the same as the 87 Target???
    Can't seem to find any info on the 87A:confused:

Advertisement