Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Geforce fx 5200 256MB graphics card

Options
  • 27-12-2005 6:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

:( ARGHH!
    Got a new graphics card yesterday and am currently installing it on my boyfriends computer. When I try to run the driver it says I've the wrong version, I obtained the driver from the website and it still says it's not a xfx product. Also, do I plug the monitor into the VGA card itself? Totally confused.. Hope someone can tell me what to do altogether!

Thanks a mill.
    :v:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes you plug the monitor into the card. You probably have the wrong drivers. If it's a new card, drivers should have come with it on a cd? If not, try the nvidia website.

Also, what kind of card are you replacing? The fx5200 is a really crappy card - surprised to hear someone getting it as a "new" card.

Also - if you haven't a remote clue what you are doing, you really shouldn't be installing that card by yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

If u have receipt and box/manual bring it back to shop ,cos its a really slow card ,not worth installing in any pc,in my opinion ,get a refund or a credit note to buy a 256meg ram AGP graphics card, i,d recommend the 9800pro 110euro on markcomputers.ie ,its agp interface,like the 5200, if the pc is more than 1 year old it most likely has the agp grahics card slot,marx computers are in dublin.there in crescent place off mallahide road,fairview, or buy the radeon x700 256meg AGP card in maplins dublin.

if he wants to play games from,2003,onwards like half life 2 ,farcry ,doom 3 ,he,ll need a faster card than that, its ok for games like unreal tounament, quake 3,counter strike, half life 1.if he has a geoforce 4 64meg,in pc already theres no point in puting in a 5200card,in my opinion.to play most games u need at least 256meg pc memory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

OK Ive bought this gc and ive just read this so Im not happy at all!!
    I have upgraded from the 5200 128mb! So is there no point at all in this?? And if there is none then how much would a better gc but not that expensive be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ballboy wrote:
    OK Ive bought this gc and ive just read this so Im not happy at all!!
    I have upgraded from the 5200 128mb! So is there no point at all in this?? And if there is none then how much would a better gc but not that expensive be??

Lol now that is absolutely ridiculous. How much did you pay? You'll notice extremely little difference.

Regardless of the amount of ram, the entire fx series is simply poor cards for todays games. But as above they are perfectly adequate for the likes of Counter Strike Source, Unreal Tournament 2k3 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

Alrite do u know a place where I can get a gc better than this for around the same price???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ok try this :-

1. Got the latest drivers for your card handy?
    2. Uninstall them from the control panel ect ect
    3. Get this http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=167
    4. After the uninstal and before the reboot run it ! it will remove all the nvidia registries in Windows. It will prompt you to CLean, do so!
    5. REbott
    6. Install graphics drivers again !
    7. Should be sorted

Sounds like a few clashing driver settings to me................ by drivers left in the registry

FOR example,,far cry game released 2003,hi spec game ,needs a good card, on 1024x768 , resolution,ur card, 5200card at high detail settings,its only 4 frames per second,radeon 9800pro 256meg ram,graphics card,grahics memory on card 256meg, 40 frames per second hi detail. in my opinion u need at least 9800pro price 110euro,markcomputers.ie to play games from 2004 like quake 3 ,farcry,or 2005,games like call of duty,also u need at least 1.3gigahertz cpu,processor,intel or amd athlon cpu,plus at least 256meg memory on your pc. so the 9800pro is at least 10times faster than ,the 5200 graphics card.look at toms hardware.com, grahics cards vga, agp,summer 2005 review for detailed benchmarks.if u can find the far cry test,the 5200 is right at the bottom,4 frames per second.the slowest of 20cards tested.if ur pc has only agp graphics card slot go for at least the 9800pro, 128meg, what card graphics is in pc right now, click 0n,control panel ,system\hardware\device manager, in classic view.i think a geoforce 4 64meg agp card is faster than the 5200,,especially if its the ti4200geoforce 4 card.u cud get fast second hand agp card 128meg ram on board.ie/for sale computer hardware forum,around 80e or less ,bring it back ,get refund or credit note.if he wants to play games like doom3,farcry,call of duty 2,2004/2005 games than the 5200card is of no use to him.u might get s/h card or wait till u have 110e saved up.

There are shops selling agp cards 40 or 50euro,but they are not worth buying too slow,for 2005 games, get radeon, 9700,9800 pro or xt with128meg ram at least,agp graphics card standard AGP.only pcs built in 2005 have new pci-e express graphics card slot/interface. u need agp card.

what card have u got in pc at present?are u thinking of install the 5200card in pc.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The whole FX series of Nvidia cards was a mistake, unfortunately i had one:( now i have a 6800gt;) anyway a 6600gt 128mb is great for all current games and is €170 from komplett..... People think that its the amount of ram that a card has that determines how good it is, but its really more complicated. it depends one core speed, pixel pipelines, memory bus width......so a 6600gt with 128mb ram will absaloutely wipe the floor with a radeon 9250 with 256mb ram

Anyway any card in the €150-€200 range will play all current games on reasonable settings

the 9800 128meg ram,agp card is the cheapest card that will play games from 2004,like farcry etc,theres only small range of agp cards avaidable,now, 50euro cards are no use for current games.if u cant afford 150e card get the 9800 or 9700 pro,or xt version agp grahics card.theres good agp cards for sale on forum for sale computer hardware ,most weeks.here on boards.ie,get a 6600gt 128ram if u can find some1 selling 1.

Advertisement