Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod: 'Unknown device' error message. What's the fix, please!?

Options
  • 27-12-2005 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

My niece got an iPod for Christmas.

The software loaded without a hitch (Windows XP), but when the iPod is connected via the USB port, it comes up with the dreaded 'unknown device' message every time.

I have Googled this and it looks like a LOT of people have had the same problem, but I can't find a definitive fix.

Can anyone suggest a work round? Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I had this problem then my ipod crashed, I reseted the device and then after that it worked fine

Reset the device by holding the center button and the menu button till you see the apple sign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Done!

Brill!

Many thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JadeDay

I plugged my ipod in and got an error message that said it could not update my ipod and needed to restore it. I said "ok" to restore and then got an error that it could not be restored. I unplugged my ipod and plugged it back in and received the "unknown device" error. I found this thread and followed the directions. I held the "center and menu" button and until I saw the apple logo. I plugged it back in and got the same message about needing to restore it. This time it did the restore and reloaded my ipod. My ipod is working fine now.

Thanks for your help! I thought my ipod was toast so this was a big relief.

Jade

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi, I too have an apple ipod, currently with over 2,000 songs on it (which I adore) but since Iv gotten a new laptop windows vista & I plug my ipod in (I have the itunes software uploaded) its not recognising it & I can't transfer any songs onto it. It's asking me to restore its original settings but if I do that will I loose all the current 2000 songs? Thank you *

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi, I too have an apple ipod, currently with over 2,000 songs on it (which I adore) but since Iv gotten a new laptop windows vista & I plug my ipod in (I have the itunes software uploaded) its not recognising it & I can't transfer any songs onto it. It's asking me to restore its original settings but if I do that will I loose all the current 2000 songs? Thank you *

You do know that this thread was started in 2005 & the last post before yours was 2007 :p

Anyway,

Download Sharepod & use it to make a backup of your iPod.

Once the backup is made and secure, let iTunes wipe your iPod & allow it to re register on the Vista machine.

Restore your backed up songs to iTunes & Sync your iPod.

Good Luck! :)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement