Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new card help for PCI

Options
  • 27-12-2005 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Im stuck with only PCI ports on my motherboard but am looking at getting a new card because FEAR wont play on the card I have (GeForce 4MX 420).I've been looking around and my choice is very limited.Can someone recommend the highest spec PCI card I can buy.I know PCI sucks but I might be up dating my pc within the next year so I dont want to go to the trouble of re booting my system just to install a new motherboard.Or is it a simple case of popping out the old board and putting in the new without rebooting,if so what is a great board to get.
    One last thing is it a difficult process installing a new board as my skills are limited,I've installed Ram,sound cards and burners which anybody could do but I reckon a motherboard is a whole new ball game.Is there on line guides for this written in plain English.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭micosavo

Here is a good website, I usually get my hardware from here;
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10415

As for the motherboard, this controls the whole PC. Removing/Adding new hardware will always require you to shut down your PC. All new motherboards will come with a fairly handy manual on how to install aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Thanks for that.When you say a shut down does that mean a full system reboot and re load all software back onto the pc or will all data be still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You'll have to upgrade. The best card available on PCI will run Fear like an old dog. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Id imagine if your PC is of the PCI graphics era you will have to do alot more then fit a motherboard. Your best bet would be to start fresh and either sell current PC or give it away. Its unlikly that you will be able to use anything bar the HD or optical drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

I buy most of my stuff from the states

www.computergeeks.com

loads of cheap stuff but you have to remeber that keep the shopping basket around $200 or you will be nabed for tax when it arives in Ireland
    what i normaly do is get two shipments P&P is around $20 so i pay $40 insted of €70

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

VeVeX wrote:
    Id imagine if your PC is of the PCI graphics era you will have to do alot more then fit a motherboard. Your best bet would be to start fresh and either sell current PC or give it away. Its unlikly that you will be able to use anything bar the HD or optical drives.

Some of the Dell budget PC's have only PCI slots, but can still have up to 3ghz cpus and 1gb ram - so not necessarily. But I'm sure in this particular case he probably needs a new rig anyway. :)

Advertisement